H:\>ping -n 2 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=50
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 7ms

Think of a submarine sending out a sonar 'ping' and then that sound wave hits something hard and shiny that bounces back the sound to the sub so the sub can identify that something is there based on that reply.

That is literally what I always thought the origins were for the networking 'Ping' command.  Made sense to me, you send out a targetted ping and if it's reachable, you get a reply.

Apparently, according to this brain-numbing course I'm doing, 'PInG' is actually an acronym.

"Packet Internet Groper". 

Awesome name from 20th century geeks.

Turns out I've been 'groping' for years without realising it.  Let's hope HR never find out or a quarter of I.T. everywhere will be having difficult conversations.

Opy the Groper

#2 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,056 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:46 AM

Pretty sure that is a backronym :)

The messages are not called 'echo request' and 'echo response' because of 'groping', much more likely that the sonar analogy is the real reason for the name.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#3 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'm absolutey certain of it. ;)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:16 PM

The messages are not called 'echo request' and 'echo response' because of 'groping', much more likely that the sonar analogy is the real reason for the name.

I get depressed that no one followed mIRC's lead, and made the Ping response, Pong!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Opy

Opy

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

I was thinking that as I was writing the OP, but then I had fear of being labelled a 'back groper' and that's fun for nobody.

Reality is just an illusion brought on by a lack of alcohol.

WoT quote: "DishD (5:45:44 PM) ur a bad man Opy, funny as fuk but very Bad!"

QUOTE (Mac Dude @ May 15 2014, 06:47 PM) * I'm in. I'm so serious about this that I've already had 2 practice losses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users