Photo

Gaming PC - Upgrade Advice, Thanks in advance!

gaming pc gaming advice help

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

Great! Yeah I said $300 I'll take it. He said if he doesn't find a buyer tomorrow he'll sell if for that amount. 

But yes, I'm sticking to the original plan. Very grateful for all the advice. 

#22 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

He suggested I buy his 2nd hand GPU for $200 AUD: Galax Geforce GTX 970 OC BLACK (has 1 year, 2 mths on warranty, with receipt). 

His advice was that since I don't have a 4k screen (only 1080p) I may as well do a small upgrade now, last out a year or so, then do a more significant upgrade.

His logic was that 4k gaming with a 1080ti is smooth, but may quickly become outdated as even Witcher 3, a 3 year old game, get's averages of 70-80fps. 

In summary, continue to use my 1080p setup with smooth gaming at max with his $200 GTX970 OC, then upgrade a year or so later with a major upgrade. 

What's your advice on this? I think it makes sense, I can settle for 1080p gaming for a year or so then hand this down to a family member. A year later, get a completely new monster rig.

But is $200 for this card a good deal? 

Thanks again. 

Edited by wajubalo, 05 September 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

$200 for a 970 is pretty good.  In recent times I saw one for about $240, generally they're going used for $280 to $350.

It all comes down to if it'll satisfy your needs.  Chances are in a year you'd get near to that back for it, maybe even a small profit.

#24 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

$200 on the card and a little extra on some RAM and,  yeah, you'll have a better investment sometime next year.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#25 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Sweet, it's good to have validation from you guys. Just wasn't so sure if $200 was a good price. 

Checking the bench marks it looks like the 970 can get pretty solid 1080p gaming on all the latest titles. Next year there will certainly be a bunch of new cards out that handle 4k at much better price points. 

#26 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

FWIW, I use a 970 for 1440p gaming.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#27 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

I might get a 4k display, for movies and 1440p gaming. I was looking at the LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K for the best bang for buck. Appreciate any other input. 

Already bought the card and it's already such a big improvement over my 560ti. Very satisfying to put all the settings up to max and have still have a smooth frame rate. 

#28 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

Personally, I'd be waiting for a gsync compatible 4k monitor that supports HDR.

As far as I know, freesync is for AMD cards and gsync is for Nvidia cards and never the two shall interoperate because they're a bit shit like that.

#29 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:21 AM

I just google what G-sync was, seems I'll have to wait for it like you mentioned. Sounds like a must-have feature. 

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

Next year there will certainly be a bunch of new cards out that handle 4k at much better price points. 

I wouldn't bet on that, you're already playing with their new architecture.

That said, Polaris and FreeSync will be in stock (despite being already released) by then.

At the last, they'll be cheaper.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#31 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

For smooth 4k gaming, you'd definitely need a 1080ti for a single card solution

Alternatively, a 1080 or 1070 would be great for 1440p, so if you're planning to game at 1440p, you could save a fair few dollars there

And if you get an aftermarket card like a 1070 Aorus card or something, you won't have to worry about thermals

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#32 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. So I ended up getting the extra sticks of ram (16gb now) and the second hand OCed GTX 970. Running Witcher maxed out with mods at 1080p (60fps average). It's a big improvement for a $200 upgrade. Before I could barely pull 15fps with what I previously had. 

I do want to upgrade to a 4k monitor and try 4k gaming. Perhaps same time next year we'll see what's available. 

Appreciate all the input! 

#33 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I do want to upgrade to a 4k monitor and try 4k gaming. Perhaps same time next year we'll see what's available.

Unless we see big advancements in something, like Vulkan engine, or GPU prices drop heavily. Or 4k monitors get fast, IPS, and cheap....

Probably most wise to consider 1440p gaming as a realistic goal.

It's a BIG jump in clarity, it's quite achievable without a multi thousand dollar budget.

Plus, most importantly, unless you're playing exclusively slower 'Cinematic' games, the second you need to move fast, shoot the enemy, jump that wall, etc. The 'beauty of 4k' goes ENTIRELY unnoticed.

And... you know.... unless you're on a MAC, you have to deal with Windows attempts at scaling 4k..... (protip: It really doesn't...... not well... not at all)

I've done a LOT in the 'Hundreds of thousands of dollars' Home Theater industry; and lets just say:

4k Belongs on big TV screens and projectors.

1440p Belongs on Monitors.

1080p Belongs on Laptops.

There will always be exceptions, but unless we see a BIG shift in how we program software\OS scaling, how we deliver game textures (HDD space for 4k textures... damn!) and our monitor technology; I'm going to wager it'll stay like this for the foreseeable future.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#34 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

So it was $200 for the 970?

I saw one advertised the other day for $100 - I was just so tempted but held off.  It actually sat there over a day before the listing disappeared.

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

So it was $200 for the 970?

I saw one advertised the other day for $100 - I was just so tempted but held off.  It actually sat there over a day before the listing disappeared.

And the ram, he said.

#36 wajubalo

wajubalo

Charge

• Atomican
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

That's some good insight master Scythe.

I've seen 1440p and you're right, it's a huge jump in clarity from my 27" 1080p monitor. Guess we'll see what available next year. I've always wanted to build a powerful gaming rig for the living room that blended in seamlessly. 

#37 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

That's some good insight master Scythe.

I've seen 1440p and you're right, it's a huge jump in clarity from my 27" 1080p monitor. Guess we'll see what available next year. I've always wanted to build a powerful gaming rig for the living room that blended in seamlessly. 

Interestingly, once you're past about 3m distance (TV to Viewer), 1080p vs 4k is not visible to the naked eye, below 70"

We used to sell the SHARP brand 80" LED-LCD, which was 1080p, and past 4.5 meters you stopped seeing any jaggies in... well anything.... too.

Anything above that projectors :P

And I guess, yeah, 4K comes into it's own :)

#38 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

I do love me some projector gaming, just something about it :)

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gaming pc, gaming, advice, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users