14 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:15 PM

Yep, so turns out people liked my work.

I swore I was out of this game, the custom PC thing for others, but hey, I'm having fun.

Ryzen 1600 (12 thread!)

Asrock AB350M Pro4 (I'm loving the SHIT out of this motherboard....)

8GB of Kingston 2400mhz RAM (at Factory timings, at 2666mhz @ 1.3v)

Transcend 256GB SSD (Yeah, entry level and 'slow'......it's still better than any HDD)

Galax 1050ti OC 4GB (+150mhz core, +500mhz Memory, MSI Afterburner - Saw 7% FPS increase)

Thermaltake 450w PSU with 120mm fan. (Single rail, 34A on 12v+, so actually not bad!)

I had a case already.

It came to $850 square.

There's only a single 120mm case fan at the front, and the 120mm PSU fan at the top, rear (ATX, not BTX style case).

Stress testing for an hour, in a 26*C room, saw a maximum temp of 71*C on the CPU package, and 60*C on the GPU.

The R5-1600 isn't overclocked, not because I don't want to, but because it just doesn't need it.

This guy is coming from a Phenom II x2, with 4GB of ram, and a GT610 256mb.

Apparently it lagged when he tried to game (really?!? gee....)

Games to target are:

Minecraft

CS:GO

Multiple RTS games (old school "Age Of" right to Starcraft II)

and once he can play, I'm imagining things like Overwatch and TF2 will quickly join the party.

I'd have liked to have stretched to a GTX1060 like last time, but considering his needs, it just seemed like a waste of money while the GPU economy is so damaged from Mining.

I told him, in a years time, a 1060 or 1070 should run on that 450W PSU just fine, so we can upgrade then.

Pretty keen to hand it back over.

Only caveat, is that his old 1TB HDD has 93 (NINETY THREE!) reallocated sectors.... Not good.

So I'm throwing as much data as I can onto an old, good condition 320GB drive I have (it looks like hes only using 180GB with user data).

And I'll be telling him to get $100 spare, and we'll throw a FireCuda SSHD in there ASAP.

Fun times ahead!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 06 September 2017 - 04:17 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

I love your support for AMD... but those games all run better on Intel's CPU's. Did you consider an i5 7600?

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

I love your support for AMD... but those games all run better on Intel's CPU's. Did you consider an i5 7600?

That's arguable.

Well, no it's not.... on those games, sure;

The catch is that those games won't bottleneck on AMD, They'll all smash 100+FPS on a 1050ti, despite the SLIGHT lead to Intel.

Where as, on games that are heavily multi-threaded (PUBG, Battlefield1, Tomb Raider, etc), the Ryzen is easily on par (sometimes with a slight lead).

AMD also has the advantages of:

Socket 1151 is MUCH older. I'd expect there to be a new socket in the near future.

The Intel is more expensive (about, $20, so 10%; and it's not 10% faster).

It can't be overclocked in the future.

It has more threads for multitasking.

AM4 motherboards are WAY cheaper.

I do understand that Intel (currently) does better in games;

But it's only by 5% on average, the tech is early, Vulkan is young, and the AM4 socket is here to stay, giving a future upgrade path.

Also! The lead only seems to show in DX games.

Besides, the CPU cooler alone is worth it :P

Screws not push pins, my savior!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 07 September 2017 - 09:47 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

I don't get the bad rap push pins are getting.

My favourite bit a bout Ryzen is the AM4 socket.  I miss the pins being on the CPU and sitting snug in the socket.  Seems less potential for  bent pins when locking the lever arm down.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

They're crap because they break easily and also there's usually no reinforcement to the board so it warps from the tension.

It was a case of Intel cheaping out.  Fair enough with LGA the pins and expense gets moved to the motherboard but compared to what AMD used on early Athlon 64 the HSF retention is a joke.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:10 PM

I don't get the bad rap push pins are getting.

It's in the RE use that the problem mainly occurs.

If they've been forced out for a long time, they want to stay splayed out.

Meaning if you remount them, you snap one of the 'legs' off, and forever more it's loose.

A thin piece of threaded rod, and a bunch of small nuts was very early added to my PC toolkit when I was fixing PC's.

#7 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

That's arguable.

Well, no it's not.... on those games, sure;

The catch is that those games won't bottleneck on AMD, They'll all smash 100+FPS on a 1050ti, despite the SLIGHT lead to Intel.

Where as, on games that are heavily multi-threaded (PUBG, Battlefield1, Tomb Raider, etc), the Ryzen is easily on par (sometimes with a slight lead).

AMD also has the advantages of:

Socket 1151 is MUCH older. I'd expect there to be a new socket in the near future.

The Intel is more expensive (about, $20, so 10%; and it's not 10% faster).

It can't be overclocked in the future.

It has more threads for multitasking.

AM4 motherboards are WAY cheaper.

I do understand that Intel (currently) does better in games;

But it's only by 5% on average, the tech is early, Vulkan is young, and the AM4 socket is here to stay, giving a future upgrade path.

Also! The lead only seems to show in DX games.

Besides, the CPU cooler alone is worth it :P

Screws not push pins, my savior!

Well all of what you said is true... I guess I get a bit taken in by numbers represented on a graph. Cursed marketing ploys!!

The best advantage of all is of course the upgradeability with future drop in Zen products.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#8 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

What case did you chuck in there?

Sounds like a great idea for a small build for myself too :) though I'd probably go for 16gb of memory

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

What case did you chuck in there?

Sounds like a great idea for a small build for myself too :) though I'd probably go for 16gb of memory

It was actually a pre-existing case the user had, an old CoolerMaster.

With that said, Coolermaster is always a decent budget case, though at the moment, some of the entry level ANTEC cases come with 80+ rated 500W power supplies, with VERY generous amps on the 12v rail, so I'd be looking into them :)

#10 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

We've just released our own gaming case AC300W

Doesn't come with a power supply though, but does have a front HDMI port which makes plugging in my Vive way easier

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#11 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

How does it handle the passthrough?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#12 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

And I'll be telling him to get $100 spare, and we'll throw a FireCuda SSHD in there ASAP.

Fun times ahead!

I would have thought an SSHD would be a waste for a data drive. Does the SSD component still get used when the OS is not installed to the SSHD?

/edit.

Just did two Ryzen builds for the the digital display thingy I am setting up

See

http://forums.atomic...tor-slide-show/

Just about ready to go in to use.

Common components for two PCs are

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 with Wraith Cooler.

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Vengeance LPX

Kingston SUV400 480GB SSD

Corsair 650W CX 80+ PSU

Windows 10 Ent (from the customers VLKs)

For the desktop staff PC

Gigabyte nVidia Geforce GT 710 1GB GPU

Coolermaster Silencio 352. mATX

For the display controller

Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 G1 Gaming 2GB x2 (each card can handle 3 x HDMI out simultaneously)

Coolermaster N400 ATX Case.

Had a couple of issues with the build.

1) Mobos Bios had to be updated before they would boot with the AMD Ryzen 5 1400 so had to get in a Ryzen 7 1700 in just to update the BIOS (Grrr).

2) 1 stick of the the Corsair Ram was totally stuffed so had to get another pair in ( yet to warranty return the dud pair).

Once past those issue both boxes run very well and the staff are real happy with the speed boost from the old PC ( AMD AM2 X2, 4Gb ram, onboard GFX, 160Gb spinner drive).

Edited by aliali, 19 September 2017 - 10:32 AM.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

Fun times ahead!

I would have thought an SSHD would be a waste for a data drive. Does the SSD component still get used when the OS is not installed to the SSHD?

YES!

Best thing about Seagate drives (never thought I'd type THAT!) is that it's Firmware level, block duplication, with (afaik) read-ahead.

Lets say he has an album he plays EVERY DAY when he gets home from work, but is a serial offender of the "Skip the last minute, I know how this song ends".

Well the SSHD will only cache the blocks he plays most often, it doesn't care about WHOLE files.

Isn't that neat?!

For the tiny cost difference (at least, on the 1TB drive), there's no reason to avoid them.

#14 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

YES!

Best thing about Seagate drives (never thought I'd type THAT!) is that it's Firmware level, block duplication, with (afaik) read-ahead.

Lets say he has an album he plays EVERY DAY when he gets home from work, but is a serial offender of the "Skip the last minute, I know how this song ends".

Well the SSHD will only cache the blocks he plays most often, it doesn't care about WHOLE files.

Isn't that neat?!

For the tiny cost difference (at least, on the 1TB drive), there's no reason to avoid them.

Ah neat, very neat.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#15 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,855 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

Fun times ahead!

YES!

Isn't that neat?!

Look at you getting all excited about tech. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users