• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Has anyone received their postal vote ballot yet ? Can you see through the envelope ?  This article suggest shining a light on the envelope will allow a person to discern the vote ...

http://www.abc.net.a...h-light/8942876

Sharpie.  If you're worried about it, just colour a rectangular part of the envelope where the boxes would shine through.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#42 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

Does the reply paid envelope have the voter's details?  They don't usually.  It's a return address for undeliverable items and in the context of a government survey isn't needed.

#43 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

It's not about the person Rybags it's apparently about uncouths looking to get rid of the wrong vote envelopes ... you know, to sway what already is a dubious collection of statistics

Also Cybes, we not supposed to mark anything other than the box we choose ;) otherwise the vote is I think considered null and void ;)

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#44 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

There was an image going around on twitter - that one, I believe - with someone saying he worked at AusPost and was going to get rid of all the no votes. 

Which was unfortunate, because it's from an online shitstirrer and not an AusPost employee.  It sure got people riled up, tho'.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#45 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

There's next to no need for these things to pass through human hands once posted anyway... they have automated sorting and bulk recipients like this mean they can just mass bin them at an early stage of the process.

#46 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

Listen ! ya know livin' out in the boonies our mail gets touched by human hands allll the time !

edit : Also, I linked to an ABC news article not tweetsville

Edited by eveln, 13 September 2017 - 10:22 PM.

atomic has π

#47 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Also Cybes, we not supposed to mark anything other than the box we choose ;) otherwise the vote is I think considered null and void ;)

The form itself, sure.  I was talking about the envelope - there are no regulations about that.  If it bothers you anyway, there's nothing at all about enclosing extra paper - so put a blacked-out insert in with your ballot.

Frankly, I think you could use a rainbow glitter pen and stuff the envelop with pink-dyed feathers for all the difference it will make.  This mob of useless 'tards is going to do exactly what they want anyway.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#48 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

The form itself, sure.  I was talking about the envelope - there are no regulations about that.  If it bothers you anyway, there's nothing at all about enclosing extra paper - so put a blacked-out insert in with your ballot.

Frankly, I think you could use a rainbow glitter pen and stuff the envelop with pink-dyed feathers for all the difference it will make.  This mob of useless 'tards is going to do exactly what they want anyway.

I was being purposefully dense Cybes ;)

atomic has π

#49 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

If a postal worker values their livelihood so little that they'd chuck votes out... then let them do it.

There was an incident years ago near me where they had a sewage blockage, turned out it was a bunch of christmas cards and envelopes flushed down the toilet.

They worked out who it was by planting mail - the guy was pulling letters he thought might have money enclosed and opening then throwing them out.

That sort of shit wouldn't be taken lightly - chances are anyone doing it might get given free rent, food and sex for a while.

#50 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, which quoted reddit as their source.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#51 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

Yeah, which quoted reddit as their source.

So it did.

atomic has π

#52 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

The form itself, sure.  I was talking about the envelope - there are no regulations about that.

Also, unless they're doing special snowflake rules for this vote, that's not correct. During an election when the volunteers count the vote they are looking for clear intent. In a ballot with 4 candidates, it is sufficient for you to number 1, 2 and 4. Given that there are only 4 candidates, the counter knows who you intended 3 to be, because you marked all the others, so there's only one possibility.

If there were 5 people on that ballot, it would become an informal vote, because there's no way for the counter to know who you would pick as 3, and who as 5.

So when it comes to marking your ballot to hide it from being observed by third parties, by standard AEC practice there's no problem with that as long as it's clear to the counter which option you selected. Feel free to draw as many butterflies, dicks or black squares on the ballot as you like, just don't scribble over the boxes on the voting side.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#53 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:50 AM

So when it comes to marking your ballot to hide it from being observed by third parties, by standard AEC practice there's no problem with that as long as it's clear to the counter which option you selected. Feel free to draw as many butterflies, dicks or black squares on the ballot as you like, just don't scribble over the boxes on the voting side.

The only thing that gives this postal vote any similarity to our AEC is that the envelopes go out to those on the electoral roll. After that, it's an ABS factfest and they don't want you marking their vote sheet anywhere but in the box you choose. You run the risk of having your 'vote' deemed worthless should you get creative;)

atomic has π

#54 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:23 AM

There was an image going around on twitter - that one, I believe - with someone saying he worked at AusPost and was going to get rid of all the no votes. 

Which was unfortunate, because it's from an online shitstirrer and not an AusPost employee.  It sure got people riled up, tho'.

https://twitter.com/...817752060059648

I saw it hit facebook and the place went wild, there was no way I could even dent the madness that got whipped up.

Edited by smadge1, 14 September 2017 - 08:23 AM.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#55 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,021 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Postal voting lends itself to lots of non or donkey voting.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#56 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,269 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I saw it hit facebook and the place went wild, there was no way I could even dent the madness that got whipped up.

I found the easiest way was to point out that a random AusPost worker would not be internet famous enough to have a verified twitter account.  'Oh,  yeah....'

#57 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

I found the easiest way was to point out that a random AusPost worker would not be internet famous enough to have a verified twitter account.  'Oh,  yeah....'

DJp4cGwUEAAP7n3.jpg

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#58 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Mine arrived today.  How easy it'd be to read is dependent on how the letter is folded and put into the return envelope (which doesn't have your details).

The survey letter is folded originally such that if you return it the same way the Y/N part will always face outside.  You could reverse one fold when returning which would put the Y/N part in the middle of the 2 other folds (standard A4 letter).

As for being able to read/distinguish what's been voted, it would vary depending on how the return letter is folded and which orientation it's put back in the envelope.  Doing a dodgy check and chuck would be a pretty conspicuous operation for a manual worker and probably take a while.

For starters, the return envelope is just a generic one that looks like the millions of others that'd be in the system at any time.

Next up, like I said before - I doubt these things would be in the manual sort process at all.  The system is fairly automated and most of the manual sorting happens in the number/street ordering by the actual postie that delivers the things on the day.  Bulk return stuff like this needs no sorting at all and could be picked and binned at the earliest stage and IMO the automated process would get 99.9% of the things.

So, put the teacup back in the cupboard, the storm has found somewhere else to go.

#59 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

So, put the teacup back in the cupboard, the storm has found somewhere else to go.

Where ? ...to the welfare cuts in the various sectors  that are happening as we speak about see-through envelopes ? :P

Edited by eveln, 14 September 2017 - 06:50 PM.

atomic has π

#60 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,021 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

Well I got mine. You'd have to be an complete idiot to mess up the postal poll.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users