• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

"...this decision, mate, it's tantamount to seeping sewage into the debutante ball." — Bob Katter "

LOL

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#122 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,169 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

So flipping radio stations last night, one of the presenters on TrippleM noticed a trend, and well, yep, he's spot on.

Every time a "Country Wide" issue that could potentially affect everyone comes to the table, the government 'casually' raises a "humanitarian" issue to cover it up, smokescreen if you will.

There's a shocking trend with this if you look back.

But in this case, he made a very interesting point about the timing of this non binding same sex postal survey, that doesn't matter in a legal sense; at the same time as we should be focusing on this Energy Crisis.

He went on about the big4 energy cartel, and export prices vs local prices. I'm not going to pretend I followed it all, but the points were interesting.

Since it's no binding, it could have been a cheap SMS poll (and since SMS logs a phone number, and phone numbers these days require name registration) it's be pretty accurate.

But that's less news worthy.

Less fluff to talk about on advertisements.

I'm not sure how much I buy into 'conspiracy theories' like this, but there were at least another 4 or so examples in recent years where "the government" has done similar things.

Either way, I posted my vote back, I'm done.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#123 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

You've never noticed it before? Don't remember the Tampa affair? Or Trump's entire presidency? Dumping bad news on a friday afternoon when noone cares?

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy moreso than just basic politicking and doing your best to control media coverage and perception.

I'm not sure what more attention on the energy market would do, either: our export capacity was a long time coming, was expensive, and relied on certain assumptions holding. The assumptions haven't held, but they're locked into contracts now. Any 'solution' is going to be expensive.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#124 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

Holy-moley ! I guess the Sydney sect. of the Anglican Church don't care too much that the postal vote guarantees nothing. They put $1oooooo.oo into the No campaign.

http://www.abc.net.a...ampaign/9040322

" "Some have questioned whether the money would have been better spent on social justice issues — feeding the poor, Sydney's homeless, refugees etcetera," Archbishop Davies said.

"The reality is, however, that our participation in the Coalition for Marriage is not at the expense of our commitment to social justice, but because of it."

What a wanker. I'd love to hear what the homeless etc. think about ^^ that statement.

atomic has π

#125 rs727

rs727

Master

• Atomican
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

Same can be said about the $120mill the govt spent on the postal vote, and given that it's non binding makes the whole thing a farce.

Would have been nice if it was to be a final decision so it doesn't have to be dragged on for however much longer. Otherwise it's a huge bill for no outcome that could've been spent on something much more useful.

#126 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

Same can be said about the $120mill the govt spent on the postal vote, and given that it's non binding makes the whole thing a farce.

Would have been nice if it was to be a final decision so it doesn't have to be dragged on for however much longer. Otherwise it's a huge bill for no outcome that could've been spent on something much more useful.

Which is what I've thought from the very beginning of this farce ;) ... but of late have been inclined to think that perhaps it's not so bad when you consider the potential votes that could be posted, votes made freely by individuals without intimidation or too much coercion ... << that last is still debatable .

I still can't let go of the fact that it was bloody Howards interfering where he felt no need to involve us the voters, that has put us in this stupid debacle now.

atomic has π

#127 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

Oh, my guess is the result will be 58% Yes.

close :)
no pung intended

#128 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,021 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:09 PM

75% of the former pm electorate supportive ssm. I doubt he will take notice of that.

Edited by Jeruselem, 15 November 2017 - 07:10 PM.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#129 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

... and now for the time wasted in parliament about who can do what, when, where and how.

atomic has π

#130 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,689 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

... and now for the time wasted in parliament about who can do what, when, where and how.

Hopefully they will appoint someone to be the head of a committee to investigate these questions.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 19 November 2017 - 08:56 AM.

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

#131 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,381 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

It should just be a simple thing now. If ss couples want to marry they can. Getting married is a business today . Even in a religious  setting it is  a business, as money passes hands for the deed.

Employees don't have the right to deny a service that their employer legally provides, if the employee is not happy about that they need to change jobs. Employers do have a right to choose their legal business practices. << with that legality made, an employee is not breaking the law by conducting a religious ssm ceremony; but that employee may find himself out of a job if choosing to perform ss ceremony. << that is also a legal occurrence. that's life.

Edited by eveln, 19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM.

atomic has π

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users