• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 kubisztal

kubisztal

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

I found few weeks ago Stellaris, looks very promising. Something like Europa Universalis in space ;)

#22 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:19 AM

I found few weeks ago Stellaris, looks very promising. Something like Europa Universalis in space ;)

I keep looking at the Steam page for this, and not buying it. :/  Screenies look really nice, but the reviews are very polarised: one side loves it, and the other... eg: http://www.quarterto...esnt-even-work/

I'll pick it up in some insane sale.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#23 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

I keep looking at the Steam page for this, and not buying it. :/  Screenies look really nice, but the reviews are very polarised: one side loves it, and the other... eg: http://www.quarterto...esnt-even-work/

I'll pick it up in some insane sale.

I'm not sure I really rate that guys criticisms. I've put more time into stellaris than almost any other game I own.

I'll respond to his two main criticisms:

1. The sector system increases late game micromanagement instead of reducing it. Bull. Shit. I raise my eyebrow that he can assert he loves Paradox's historical games, and then trot this line out. Comparing late game EU micromanagement to this is utterly night and day. However, it's a bit of an irrelevant argument because it's invested in the notion that micromanagement must be objectively bad, but the reality is that micromanagement is a game mechanic. What matters is whether you enjoy the implementation, and I think the Stellaris system hits a happy medium that would be about right for quite a lot of people.

2. The storylines are dull and the game has no soul as a result. I know what he's getting at, but I think he hasn't delved into the game very deeply if he thinks that. The game basically has two types of events. There's little mini-events that happen as you explore the galaxy. Because galaxies are big and you're going to play lots of games in big galaxies, these events repeat a lot. It's basically the same problem as the NPC's in TES: Oblivion repeating the same dialog all the time. However, there's a second layer of longer, more detailed and way more interesting stories buried in there that you're much less likely to come across (horizon signal being one of the best, but far from the only one), and I've even seen two separate storylines unexpectedly interact. I still don't know if it was a bug or deliberate, but it sure was interesting. There's depth there, but it's not spoon-fed to you. Spend a game digging into the universe instead of conquering it, and you'll find some interesting stuff.

I'd also say that it's been a great game for roleplaying for me. The species creator is extremely versatile, and I've had a lot of fun playing everything from short-lived temperamental space-nazi penguins to dull-witted, pacifistic psychic space cacti with a fetish for government paperwork. If you can invest in your own stories a little it's a fun playground.

tl;dr I think his review is pretty shallow. The main reason I would suggest holding off on buying it is that paradox has been muttering for a while about making it mandatory to have a paradox account to play MP. I'm a big hater of forced accounts for things which have no technical need for it. Depending on how you feel on the matter, that may or may not be a factor for you.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#24 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

I'm not sure I really rate that guys criticisms. I've put more time into stellaris than almost any other game I own.

I'll respond to his two main criticisms:

Well, that's reassuring to know, but that particular guy was just one I grabbed for illustration - there are a large number of people on Team Bitch. But I guess that's true of all games, even those that are (imo) great. Flipside: There are people cheerleading even for games that almost everyone thinks are rubbish, so... <shrug>

Given that I have a half dozen or so 4Xs installed atm, I still think I'll wait for a sale. Or I get bored with those I have.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users