• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Romulus

Romulus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Ben Mansil from PC&TA suggested I pose my question to you guys.

My PC is up to date but I get this constant message ‘Chrome Native Message Host Has Stopped Working’. Windows is meant to be looking for a solution but never does. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. It doesn't seem to upset the operation of Chrome, but being a little OCD, it annoys the daylights out of me.

I suppose I will get a few sarcastic answers like, don't use Win10, or don't use Chrome, but it has been bugging me. I have searched a million and one forums but can't seem to find a logical and simple answer, it must be a common problem.

Can anyone help or direct me to a thread?

#2 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:08 PM

‘Chrome Native Message Host Has Stopped Working’

Nothing in front of that message like True key?

First thoughts would be do the usual of clearing all cookies and disabling or removing all extensions.

If still no dice then may need to get drastic and uninstall Chrome, followed by deleting the chrome folders from C:\Program Files (x86)\Google

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google and anywhere else you can find them.

Then install Chrome again and see how it goes.

However my bet is on an extension causing the issue, especially one of the security suite extensions.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,033 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:11 PM

I reckon it's some password program extension failing ... they need to put an extension in work with Chrome.

Chrome keeps to changing flipping version so fast these extensions break.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#4 Romulus

Romulus

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

I removed everything except Adblock plus and will see. If it still comes up I will remove that too.

Thanks for the quick response.

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Does Chrome have a safemode where you can load it up with all of that kind of things disabled temporarily?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

Does Chrome have a safemode where you can load it up with all of that kind of things disabled temporarily?

Run Chrome with the --disable-extensions command-line option

That is right click the Chrome shortcut and select properties. in the target section add

--disable-extensions to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

so you will have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-extensions

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:44 PM

There seems to be little info around about this - I get the feeling it might be the inbuilt facility for pushed (?) notifications... other browsers have the same ability.

A bit of a stab, but maybe give a look over to stuff like 3rd party firewall, AV, general internet security packages if any are installed.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

I suppose I will get a few sarcastic answers like, don't use Win10, or don't use Chrome

Nope, ya wont!

This is a good forum :)

You might get advice along the lines of "if you can't solve it, Have you tried browser X [waterfox, for me]? It's my favorite" But no one will suggest "give up and move on" as a first resort, or treat you like an idiot :)

If removing all the extensions doesn't help

For the sake of complete testing, consider burning a memtest disk and running memtest overnight.

While unlikely, it's possible Chrome is the only application you have that's using enough RAM during a work day, to hit a bad block, and have something crash.

That 'something' can be pretty common, considering peoples use cases are usually similar.

There's no harm in a memtest overnight anyway. Burn a CD or USB stick, and kick it off!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

Given that Vivaldi and Opera browsers are built using the Chrome engine, maybe install one or both of them and see how it goes.

* prefer Vivaldi here since it's got built in vertical tabs instead of having to use buggy extensions to get them.

Edited by Rybags, 12 September 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Chrome does have a weird way of css style sheet caching as we found out when writing an internal web site.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users