• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:56 PM

I've now spent two years umming and ahhing over the best way to build a home server.  I was initially waiting for the next gen of HP's microservers, but they have been in limbo for over a year.

My latest thinking is perhaps to get a current-gen Intel NUC, for both the built-in h.265 support, and TB3.  Run the NUC as the heart of the operation, with an external enclosure for storage running over TB3.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I understand the NUC is an expensive option, but the main features I like about it are it's size, it's low power usage, and it's ability to not get bogged down with filesystem and encoding/decoding type tasks all happening at once (which is an issue I've seen happening with a friend's older AMD-based HP microserver).

I was going to originally have a home server sitting up with the networking rack in a closet, but if it's something like a NUC, I'd probably  have it sitting under/behind the main TV and connect to it directly to act as a HTPC, rather than streaming from it via a chromecast.

As far as external drive bays go, I'd probably be looking at something in the ballpark of 4-5 bays, and a handful of 8-10TB drives.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,024 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

What's the importance of H.265 support?  I run a DLNA setup but don't bother ever transcoding -  let the playback device deal with the video, the server just spits out the raw data (that said, playback devices generally just BluRay player and Android tablet).

#3 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

At some point the drive enclosure will fill up, and at that point I'll be more inclined to re-encode everything to save space.

In day to day runnings, tho', it's just about power savings, and future-proofing.  I'm happy to be talked out of it if there's something a lot better value.

It'll keep running Plex for media, unless something drastic changes, so anything that can't play back native video will be transcoded on the server.

Edited by Nich..., 20 September 2017 - 12:09 AM.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#4 Qasde

Qasde

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

Have you considered building a server with either Unraid or FreeNAS?

A Ryzen system would be perfect for this.  Im running a Ryzen 1700 8 core with unraid. It serves as a NAS and runs two virtual machines.  One is pfsense as my router with a 4port NIC. The second VM is a windows 10 one  which runs my home security cameras and I use it to reencode all my gaming captures.  Either FreeNAS or Unraid can have dockers which can run Plex or you can run it in a VM.  The amount of HDD you can put is only limited by the case you choose to put it in.

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Are you able to elaborate further on how you have it handle your home security cameras and footage archival, Qasde?

I haven't seen much on power consumption comparisons for the Ryzens, but I'll admit I haven't gone looking.

#6 Qasde

Qasde

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Unraid (https://lime-technol...what-is-unraid/) is basically a distro of Linux. The main function is a NAS. It handles redundancy with the use of 1 or more Parity drives. As you write data on the array it calculates the relevant parity allowing you to lose a drive and not lose any data. I prefer this over a normal RAID 5 / 10 system as I can throw any size drive into the array and its very easy to add more when i run out of storage. 

Unraid also allows the use of virtual machines. Ive assigned 6 Cores of the Ryzen 1700  to run a Windows 10 VM.  Blue Iris (http://blueirissoftware.com) is the software I run and have my NAS folders as the storage drives. I can set how much storage it uses and it will delete old footage to keep within the limits. 

Ive also have on occasion to install an Ubuntu virtual machine using 1-2 cores to experiment with linux.  Im currently trying to see if I can install MacOS on a virtual machine as well.

If your motherboard supports IMMOU passthrough you can dedicate hardware like NICs and graphics cards to seperate virtual machines and do ludicrous things like;

2 Gamers 1 Pc - https://youtu.be/LuJYMCbIbPk

7 Gamers 1 Pc - https://youtu.be/LXOaCkbt4lI

8 Gamers 1 Pc - https://youtu.be/uKJw8IKVYQ8

Edited by Qasde, 23 September 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

Problem with UnRaid is that it has no bitrot protection ( you can sort of add it with par, but it's a chore IMO).

I second the freeNAS (well, actually, Nas4Free) build though.

Asrock have stated basically all their boards have an ECC menu on the Ryzen platform, so you should have no problem using ECC ram like you should for any server.

Nich, thing is, power consumption is a no brainer for any of these. Your server will spend the majority of it's life at idle, and all CPUs, regardless of TDP will use roughly the same power at idle. Last estimate I saw said something like $40 a year to have a PC idle 24\7? and that was quite a few die-shrinkages ago, so it's bound to be better now.

I would recommend streaming FROM something though. Mainly because no system yet is perfect, and ALL media centers OCCASIONALLY, lock up.

If you say, are streaming from a Raspberry pi3 (I am!) then if anything ever goes wrong (I get occasional lock-ups using some of the more questionable Kodi stuff), you just flick the power off, and back on, and away you go!

Also, unexpected, but RaspberriPi's do remote passthrough!

My Sony TV remote, "Just Works™" to controll the media center software over HDMI. It's bloody amazing!

I spend a LOT of time over on the Datahoarder subreddit, and run my own Nas4Free ZFS server doing exactly what you're doing, so any specific questions throw em my way :)

Oh, just two notes!

At some point the drive enclosure will fill up, and at that point I'll be more inclined to re-encode everything to save space.

Storage will get cheaper by the time that happens. It's already sub $300 for 8TB if you import from the USA and shuck the external HDD cases.

I'm happy to be talked out of it if there's something a lot better value.

https://www.ebay.com...server&_sacat=0

https://www.ozbargai...node/Server?t=b

HP microservers. That's your "Lot better value".

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 Gas Lee

Gas Lee

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

If you've got a little more space, my two cents is oldish workstations, I'm in the middle of replacing my home server with one of these:

http://www.ebay.com....zEAAOSwwn9ZeYa0

Plenty of these sort of thing floating around in Dell / HP / whatever your flavour preference, I got mine cheaper with a lesser quadro and less ram and then bumped it up with spares I had under my bench (Xeon X5650 FTW!) 

These are *not* the cheapest examples, just a flavour:

Dell: http://www.ebay.com....AcAAOSw4P1ZwEFm

HP: http://www.ebay.com....boAAOSw0h9Zsnlx

and don't worry about performance, for application like transcoding that scale up to many threads nicely, the X5650 in my one takes the i5 4670K in my gaming rig out the back and slaps it silly while consuming barely (6 watts) more power.

-What we know is almost nothing at all-

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:40 PM

HP G7 doesn't have enough legs.  I've watched a friend's one make streaming any content pause and stutter in unpleasant ways when it's otherwise busy downloading/decrypting/unarchiving/checksumming and then recovering data from parity volumes.  It's been a few years since I did a lot of reading on the G8 but I wasn't really happy it'd perform a lot better without swapping out for a  Xeon, and then IIRC only specific chips worked with the power or TDP limits in place.

I might have a ponder about some old workstations, and see if getting a silent PSU and near-silent CPU HSF is going to make the price end up stupid.

I don't have a lot of space near a TV, so anything in a traditional box is going to end up in the top of a wardrobe in an occupied bedroom, which will make sound a more important consideration.

#10 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,848 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

i really like both the nuc i built a while back

if you want low power and small size i think there a good option

don't know anything about the tb3 external storage your looking for though and what i can find is very expensive if its not a standard usb3 enclosure

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

I've watched a friend's one make streaming any content pause and stutter in unpleasant ways when it's otherwise busy downloading/decrypting/unarchiving/checksumming and then recovering data from parity volumes. 

Dude, be fair, Even our enterprise servers in the datarack where I work will crawl to a halt if you ask that much of them at once.

It's the 'recovering data from parity' that KILLS it. And they're dual Xeons with 32+ GB ram.

Even then, it just sounds like your friend doesn't have enough buffer set on his playback device.

I took my copy of Media Centre from 1 second (local) to 2 seconds (local) and besides the 2 second delay when skipping content (which I do rarely) it's butter smooth.

If there's no room around the TV, It only helps solidify a HP microserver (cheap, silent, reliable), and a Raspberry Pi (can be velcroed to the back of the TV, and controlled with the TV remote.)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 26 September 2017 - 09:28 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#12 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

I run a home server setup using a NUC and a cheap seagate nas that supports NFS. the NUC runs proxmox (an open source hypervisor) and I set up all my services as VM's on that, with the drive images storage on the NAS. I reverse proxy internet traffic to the other VM's via an NGINX VM that also terminates the SSL for my websites, with unencrypted traffic running over the internal network.

There have been a few interesting ecosystem improvements since then, notably caddy is probably a better choice than nginx for this purpose now, and some of the other hypervisors are starting to grow hypervisor level docker support. I'd be happy to elaborate on details in a PM, if you're interested.

If you're mostly looking at this for a content server, there are a few raspberry-pi sized devices with a bit more kick, like the banana pi or the orange pi. I don't have much experience with them, but I do know that at least the raspi 1 and 2 units are pretty marginal on having the computing power needed to run a media server.

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#13 Pigs can fly

Pigs can fly

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

TB3 HDD enclosures are not cheap.

IMO grab a R5 mini that will give you 8 x 3.5 inch bays, an mATX, CPU, ram, PSU & OS of your choice and your done.

Asus Z68 Deluxe|i7 2600k|Noctua NH-U12P SE2|16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2133 C9|EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB|XFX 750w Black Ed|2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB|Seagate Constellation ES 1TB|Samsung 1TB 7.2k|Seagate 2TB 7.2k|WD Green 2TB|HAF X|Logitech G13 G27|Corsair K60|Razer Lachesis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users