• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,435 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

So... ChildofChaos REALLY wants a VR headset for his birthday.  Cost not tooo much of a problem (he's willing to kick in from his savings as well), but oviously would prefer cheaper than ridiculous.

Steam PC games mainly probably, with XBox the only console on offer around here.

Needs to be fairly simple without too much in the way of requirements for fiddling.

Any suggestions?  More info needed?

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Vive?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,435 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

Yes, I know what a Vive is.  What I want to know is if that is my best option...

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

I don't know, I haven't used every option. I was relatively happy with the Vive tho'.

Does he have better or worse eyesight than me - is he going to be happy with the res or want something higher?

Does he have better or worse balance than me - is he going to have issues if refresh rates can't keep up?

Does he have a lot of space to move around in?

Can you print him out a Google Cardboard type mask, just to fuck with him?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:25 PM

maybe read my comments in this thread: http://forums.atomic...30-oculus-rift/

re oculus vs rift:

on the platform side of things, in terms of the whole interplay between different pieces of hardware, the portability of SDKs, approaches to DRM and online stores, the question of the relative "openness" of each going forward, and the ramifications for developers and consumers, is more nuanced than what i wrote there (and kinda annoyingly complicated).  nevertheless, as it stands now, you play oculus or steam games on the oculus, and although you may never be able to buy oculus 'exclusives' (their only substantial trump card in my view) through Steam, you can play many (most?) of them on the vive through Revive.

on the purely hardware side, it is no contest in my view.  even more so now that htc/vive recently brought out the head strap thing with integrated audio, thereby nerfing most of the very slight ergonomic advantages of the oculus.  but its really all down to the Lighthouse system.  read up on how works under the hood.  more elegant, efficient, robust, modular, and future-proof by its very nature.

Steam PC games mainly probably

if he is already familiar with steam, then one unified interface makes it easy.  theres also a lot of free-to-play content of all quality levels (and suitability for kids) that would keep him going for hours. 

btw, this steam machine is a beast with a GTX 980 or better video card, right?

Edited by @~thehung, 24 September 2017 - 07:07 AM.

no pung intended

#6 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,435 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

Urrghhh.  Yeah.  So, it looks like we might be putting off the purchase for a few months until the tech gets a little more... mainstream.

At over 1k for the kit plus probably the card upgrade, it's not looking good.  M$ will add VR to XBox eventually... right? :)

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#7 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

More likely AR with hololens, right?

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

More likely AR with hololens, right?

That's my actual dream.

If you've seen the Lego Movie, then I'm hoping for the sort of view the 'Master Builders' get when they look at things....

bliss.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

Microsoft are now pushing "mixed reality". 

seems to be a fusion of the AR stuff theyve done extensive work on, and VR.  a bit of a compromise, i think, to keep the Hololens tech in play as it undergoes birth pangs as a workable product in its own right.   i'm tempted to view the Hololens as the Tablet PC they won't be giving up on this time :) 

they will be partnering with various manufacturers, and this HMD from Acer (available for pre-order) is one of the first examples.  not sure about the look of that thing though.  reminds of that time i wanted a Powell Peralta or Santa Cruz skateboard for chistmas, and all i got was an All Pro... :(

no pung intended

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

i'm tempted to view the Hololens as the Tablet PC they won't be giving up on this time :) 

Hey, if they're smart, they'll realise that fashion is taking a massive swing back to the 'Bold' direction.

After 20+ years of "Minimalist is cool!" (thanks apple </sarcasm>), finally people want "Chunky" watches, and 'Bright' shoes, and BIG headphones; hell even the 'car scene' I hang is is appreciating neons and flames again (not much.... but it's gone from 'what a joke' to 'thats uncommon....').

If MS are smart, they'll focus on usability more than miniaturization and bring it to market while it's still relevant.

I mean seriously, if it offered enough features, I don't really know many people who'd openly 'object' to a DragonBallZ style 'Scouter' on their eye.

tumblr_ljrew3jiH51qgj0wzo1_500.png

I mean hell, build it into some optional headphones if you must.

Clip it  a glasses frame (Google Glass style) if you want to be semi minimalist.

Just give me a reason to yell at someone that it's OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#11 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

yeah, i think a day is coming soon when the world will be more welcoming of Glassholes and their ilk.

i dont see the Hololens as having a huge amount of overlap in that space though.  i think it will be used for specific purposes (like your Master Builder example) and is not aspiring to become a general purpose cyberpunk overlay for the masses.

and whether or not the world is ready for it, unfortunately its far from ready for the world.

no pung intended

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:31 AM

a general purpose cyberpunk overlay

But i waaaaaaant ooooonnneeee.....

Not for the masses though, that messes with my CyberGoth fantasies :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users