• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 firosiro

firosiro

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

I CLEARLY bear in mind the afternoon I started consulting for eBay: It was March 2000, during the height of the Internet boom, and that I was in the mecca of c-commerce businesses. While receiving my excursion of the facilities of eBay, the sleeping bags beneath every desk struck me.

Not wanting to appear intimidated, '' I commented, "I did not know that home in Silicon Valley was that difficult to find." "Oh, those," my manual chuckled, "We actually don't use the sleeping bags much anymore. They're only needed if we have unplanned site outages."The message was simple, but effective: "If there is an outage, we do not depart." My interest was piqued by the events of the day in how organizations can better plan for outages. I have found organizations that spend hours or days while systems are unavailable, pointing fingers, and I believe that there is a sensible strategy to take care of outages at a planned, and well-executed method.Every organization needs to plan for system outages (https://github.com/c...Bag-For-Camping).

Disaster recovery programs have become commonplace over the previous two years; however, true disasters, like the lack of an whole data center, are thankfully rare. On the other hand application outages are more commonplace. Despite being less critical having less of an impact, and receiving attention, if these outages aren't managed correctly, their impact can transcend those of a tragedy.

WHY PLAN FOR THE UNPLANNED

Program uptime is essential for companies to operate successfully. The effects of outages extend from quantifiable components, such as lost sales, increased overtime, and loss of productivity, to long-term aspects, such as loss of customer loyalty and worker morale.And while loss of customer loyalty justifiably receives a good deal of attention, you can't afford to overlook the effect unplanned outages can have on employees. Workers that may not be proficient at problem diagnostics that is high-pressured often work in isolation, squandering time on alternative efforts, and misdirected investigations, communications. The interruptions to their work pushes projects off program, often leading to a shortened testing cycle, almost ensuring extra future outages. Employees are constantly firefighting and can't make headway on their deadlines. Developing an approach for dealing with unplanned application outages is not just beneficial for improving employee productivity as well to meet clients, but.

CONSTRUCTING AN OUTAGE PLAN

Despite your best efforts to stop unplanned outages, you can not prevent them. Every organization must devise a strategy for resolving unexpected reverses with minimal disruption. The components of the plan should include functions prep, rules, and procedures.Preparation. "Be ready" is an appropriate motto for the two Boy Scouts and associations with mission-critical systems. Common elements must comprise, although each organization may prioritize planning measures otherwise: - https://github.com/c...g-Should-I-Get?

nozipp-magnetic-sleeping-bag-938.jpg

* A bodily centre where outages will be handled. This facility must include diagnostic equipment, telecommunications, meeting facilities, and Internet access.

* An outage response staff (see "Outage response team functions" in another section). For calling this group redundant communication mechanisms should be set up.

* Get information. You have to have the ability to reach third-party vendors, but in addition the outage group and service providers.

* Tools to track application log files, implementation data, and statistics. Once configured to watch for defendant occasions, these tools proactively prevent future outages and will help diagnose outages.

* Organization change-control policies. You'll also need a listing of current systems changes with associated "rollback' procedures.

* A list of programs. You will also need to include service-level targets, each program's function, and importance.Outage answer team functions. Identifying and assigning members to an outage the team is to restore the systems; the team's duty should comprise the following personnel:

* Information center operations. The operations members manage monitoring of applications and systems. When an outage occurs, they direct all resolution efforts by coordinating change tracking, escalation, and processes.

* Program development. These staff members execute fixes for the two in house and externally developed software and diagnose problems.

* Technical surgeries. These members are responsible for diagnosing failures in these areas and have applications applications, and expertise in hardware, networking, security, backup and retrieval.

* Vendor coordination. The planner is responsible for ensuring vendor accountability and acts as a single point of contact for any sellers brought in for
aid.

* Internal communications and service. The role's responsibilities range from providing handling team logistics with updates that are executive.External communications and support. This role is found in organizations which will need to coordinate external communications for crowds ranging from internal company users to some press corps camped outside the company entry.

Depending on outage frequencies, employing a rotating on-call schedule may be appropriate. Extra support personnel may be required by some outages. When involving resources the staff ought to take care to minimize the consequences of business operations.Guidelines and Rules. In addition to assembling an outage response group that is effective, the staff members must agree on guidelines and rules as part of the charter. I Suggest the following:

* The liability rule. The group is responsible for repairing the outage regardless of the origin that is suspected and diagnosing. This rule creates a spirit of cooperation, rather than one of accusation.

* The prisoner rule. When the problems are resolved, the team is imprisoned from the outage and may simply leave. This attitude is critical for recovering software in a way that is timely.

* The proximity rule. Efficient communication and Team synergy is encouraged if the team works in precisely the same location. If that is impossible, communicating media which range from video should be used.

* The fix-it-first rule. Several organizations go with outage analysis paralysis. This understanding shouldn't be obtained at the price of application downtime although learning as much as possible to prevent similar Outages is important.

Winter-Lovers-Duck-Down-Sleeping-Bag-Cam

A process framework Generally speaking, once an unplanned application outage occurs, a customized version of this process should be followed:

1. Identify the outage and influenced resources. Many organizations fill out a form or record when an outage happens.

2. Notify key employees. The list of personnel will vary based on the seriousness and location.

3. Build the outage response staff. The staff should convene for briefing on the outage.

4. Diagnose the problem and identify solutions. System modifications should be examined as the likely offenders.

5. Escalate the problem to encourage teams if needed.

6. Implement and test a solution. It is rolled back, if the solution is unsuccessful and the process returns to step four.

7. Monitor the program.

8. Determine and record outage causes and their solutions for use in solving issues.

9. Identify and execute application monitoring to recognize.

10. Modify outage plan if necessary. (https://www.linkedin...ags-dave-stenie)

11. Analyze data like recovery period outage frequency, and prices to improve prevention and managing. Technology innovation often goes together with destabilization.

Adopt the truth that unplanned outages are unavoidable; minimal application downtime is only ensured by preparation that is appropriate. If fire-fighting has become your organization's daily grind, you need to look at assembling your top team and employing a model to invent your outage managing strategy. All you require is some bags that are comfortable, some groundwork measures and processes, and a outage response group!

Edited by firosiro, 08 November 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

It's up to the motherboard/Bios to take the XMP info and do whatever with it.

It's not uncommon to still need to go in and set some things manually.  Maybe try XMP enabled and set the Ram speed manually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users