Photo

Woo! Star trek Discovery! (spoilers, probably)

The Firm Boldly going forwards Because we cant find reverse

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

Even Patrick's delivery could not sustain us / me over the consistent use of the holo-deck to make the story for most of the latter episodes. As with most long running shows the writers get stale. Scott and his dog that seemed to live permanently in Scott's tiny cell of a room annoyed me rather a lot. Such total lack of proper care for the animal !

Yeah, I never liked the Holodeck. You've already got a show set in a fantastical sci-fi universe with limitless possibilities - and to then have so many stories set in a magical Daydream Land safely on board the ship where nothing has any consequence. Mind-boggling.

#22 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

Dog?

ST: Ent. Commander Archer has a pet pooch on the ship. In all the episodes it barely leaves his room. It used to annoy me. Archer was sooo into doing the right thing

in every other facet of his existence ... but he never seemed to take his dog for walkies !!

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

OK - I thought you were referring to TNG in the whole post... shows how little I watched or remember Ent.  I didn't even realise he had one.

#24 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

IMO Patrick Stewart almost solely kept TNG afloat during the dud eps on the first 2 years, though the attribution there is probably way more towards acting quality than character development.

when that show started, i wasnt ready to accept him as the captain of the Enterprise.  i was like, "who the fuck is this stodgy old bald cunt?" this guy is the new Shatman? 

but yeah, he quickly destroyed that impression, and carried the show for a long time.

Trekkies will stand for an awful lot of bullshit if there's just the rare flower, though, which is why it [ST:Ent] lasted as long as it did (4 years?). IMHO, what killed it stone dead was Scott Dracula Bakula. That plank of wood would lose an acting contest to Keanu Reeves - he has not been in anything that lasted since Quantum Leap, and that one was kept in spite of him by interesting stories.

so true.  count Bakula sucked the life out of what little it had going for it.

that show was like an aberration that transpired on an alternate time line of television history.  it never happened, did it?  no, it didnt.

Edited by @~thehung, 28 September 2017 - 04:08 PM.

no pung intended

#25 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Episode 3. The story kicks off and I found it pretty enthralling (surprising, since I'm not much of a Star Trek fan). The characters are a lot more interesting than those of the prologue episodes, too - even the ones carried across.

Mystery, humour, horror, action - if they can keep this up, I'll definitely be sticking with it. I enjoyed this episode alone more than either of those JJ Abrams movies.

#26 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,597 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hmm, mysterious black badges?
Research that goes beyond what laws will allow?
Destroying a potentially salvageable vessel during war?

Sounds like Section 31 to me.
Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#27 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

Certain YouTube channels have posted such inspiring reviews as "Star Trek: Discovery is Truly God Awful".  Boy that gives me hope for the future. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#28 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:07 PM

It seems to be pretty polarising - some love it, some hate it. Most of the complaints I've seen have been related to it being quite unlike previous Star Trek shows. Ironically, those praising it often note that same reason as a major positive.

If you're wanting another TOS or TNG, then you'll probably not enjoy STD. It's still Star Trek, just a little bit darker (but nothing like, say, Lexx or Farscape).

Edited by i_am_banned2, 03 October 2017 - 08:08 PM.

#29 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

If you're wanting another TOS or TNG, then you'll probably not enjoy STD.

no-one really enjoys an STD   :P

hmmm.... if it's like lexx then i'd probably like it

does that mean there's euro-trash flesh exposure ?? awesome !!

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#30 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

If you're wanting another TOS or TNG, then you'll probably not enjoy STD.

no-one really enjoys an STD   :P

hmmm.... if it's like lexx then i'd probably like it

does that mean there's euro-trash flesh exposure ?? awesome !!

Nah, it's not at all like Lexx, unfortunately. Considering how quickly the relatively mainstream Firefly got canceled, another Lexx/Farscape type show will probably never see the light of day.

#31 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

lexx was the bomb

probably my favourite tv of last century; hard pressed to think of any other series quite so inventive from that time

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#32 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

i was always curious about Lexx.  but even back then its kitschy rough-edged production levels were very off-putting.

Farscape, was far glossier production-wise but never made good on its continual threats to not suck.  some good character development and the occasional compelling scene.  and points for a non-humanoid alien protagonist -- but a muppet is a muppet.  it tried, but rarely rose above the level of sci-fi for tweens.  

Firefly was straight up shiny.  brilliant characters, but the best thing about it was that Whedon never let his penchant for silliness override solid storytelling.

Babylon 5 is the big one i havent seen and know i must one day.  wasnt the kind of show you could just drop in on.  but too many people have recommended the sophistication of its narrative arc.

Edited by @~thehung, 05 October 2017 - 03:13 PM.

no pung intended

#33 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

i would disagree on your view of production values in lexx

the first series was slick; the second (non-movie length) series lapsed a bit, more than made up for by the swarms of drones and the depictions of lexx (for the available technology to produce it at the time) but the third (especially) and fourth series did it for me

xenia seeberg - yes please !

and 790 (and 791).... perfect !

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#34 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

well, it looked and sounded like it was filmed under the fluorescent lights of an underground car park in front of pull-down green screens. it had a claustrophobia inducing over-reliance on single camera shots, was 90% comprised of overlays of both foreground and background CGI often so awkwardly composited it made you long for the quality of 1963's Jason and the Argonauts, had sound design so sparse it would rival an episode of Days Of Our Lives despite the endlessly droning bargain basement synth there in the hope of disguising it, and frequently lamentable acting.  oh, and a robot head for a character that looked something like a papier-mâché hockey mask with LCD screens in the eye sockets playing animations for eyeballs that wouldve looked lo-fi on a Sega Master System circa 85.

790-LEXX.jpg

i am sure you could put the bulk of this down to budgetary constraints. and i am quite ready to believe the makers did a phenomenal job with what resources they had.  most importantly, i do understand that the general cheesiness of the whole thing, like our robot friend above, you could put down to deliberate stylistic choices totally in keeping with the creepy grungy off-kilter surrealist vibe they were going for. i could maybe get into this show.

but kitschy and rough-edged is quite fair. yes, it had some very impressive CGI, but against comparable offerings of its day, this show SCREAMED unpolished, fake-looking, and dated.

no pung intended

#35 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:59 AM

xenia seeberg - yes please !

and 790 (and 791).... perfect !

... My memories were not favourable, so I googled those images to make sure I had the ones. Yyeah. Either you got something out of it I never did, or you're remembering the past with your rose glasses on.

Or both,I guess.

#36 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

oh but wait, WTF is this shit LOL?

ST:D has brought us the DaftPunk5000

r1LThWY.jpg

>D

no pung intended

#37 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:21 PM

A few eps in and it's almost eerie comparing STD and The Orville, as far as design.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#38 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Here's an interesting fan theory...  Normally, I tend to take this sort of thing with a Ceres-sized grain of salt, but this one actually hangs together pretty well, and would explain an awful lot.  See what you think:

BTW: As someone pointed out in the YT comments, Yes, that is a tribble - tribbles have one useful function: detecting Klingons.  Pretty handy considering who they're at war with.

#39 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Fredz, I should have known you'd hop onto atomic as well to post this ! Me, well even as a die hard, life long trek fan, and as mentioned earlier, I'm embarrassed to say I have seen Discovery as yet. Watched all other movies and series many times, and even have the entire Star Ships collection. Yes, I hang my head in shame.

Have to say though, I'm not sure I like the visual change to the Klingons, I don't think they deserve to look so evil.

Even Patrick's delivery could not sustain us / me over the consistent use of the holo-deck to make the story for most of the latter episodes. As with most long running shows the writers get stale. Scott and his dog that seemed to live permanently in Scott's tiny cell of a room annoyed me rather a lot. Such total lack of proper care for the animal !

Yeah, I never liked the Holodeck. You've already got a show set in a fantastical sci-fi universe with limitless possibilities - and to then have so many stories set in a magical Daydream Land safely on board the ship where nothing has any consequence. Mind-boggling.
You don't like the Holodeck ? I do. Apart from the obvious simulated training possibilities, I don't think people will ever get tired of experiencing a bit of fantasy in their life, whatever the era and technology advancements. Today we have VR, tomorrow it's the Holodeck. VR is advancing in great leaps and bounds, and I've gotten wrapped up in its near reality a few times.... to the point of walking smack into a wall.... a real one. I've also near frozen in fright at being (apparently) suspended in deep space. Anyone who has not experienced a high quality VR environment, I recommend they do so at the first opportunity. Then come back and say you don't like the Holodeck ! I'm off again this weekend to get my fix .... new software .... the Enterprise bridge :)

Edited by NightOwl, 10 October 2017 - 08:52 PM.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#40 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

After my 4th bout of STD, it continues to leave an impression... *ahem* Unlike my juvenile humour, this is a quality show. The main characters are really starting to establish their (dysfunctional) personalities, helped largely by the way they grate on each other. It's a setup that has worked well for other classic sci-fi adventure stories (as mentioned above), even if STD lacks much of the humour and irreverence of those particular shows.

The Klingons became a lot more interesting in this episode, too. I didn't much care for them before, but I'm somewhat intrigued now. Will we see a Klingon rom-com episode in future? I think I speak for everyone when I say, "I HOPE SO." How do passionate Klingons kiss with all that bone mass on their face? I can't wait to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users