Photo

Woo! Star trek Discovery! (spoilers, probably)

The Firm Boldly going forwards Because we cant find reverse

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

It seems there is evidence of the producers' ,writers' etc. stance against Trump and his alleged / assumed White Supremacists allegiance. I think the guy in the vid was trying to show the difference WRT to the Dem. Pres. Obama and his allegiance to BLM. So, I think it's a little wrong to say he ( the vid guy ) indicated he is anti anything much other than maybe ST:D. ;)
... just sayin'

... but also now that I've watched that twenty minute critique I am quite curious to view this series now too ... oh well maybe another go at Netflix, maybe.

true. he did not directly state an anti-BLM position. he did, however, draw a false equivalence between White Nationalist groups and Black Lives Matter, as if they are alternate sides of the same coin — an affront to BLM so egregious and deceitful that not even many who are highly critical of BLM wouldnt shirk from.  so it was an easy inference to make. 

I didn't get that from his words. What I took was an inference that perhaps the Pres., whatever colour he was / is, should clearly be on the side of all those he was Pres. of, and not be a member of any one organisation ... do you see ? Obviously the vid guy did not like the implied inference of Trump being associated with WS, and, given his whole stance re the critique of ST:D, he's not a fan of SJWs either, so he chose to call to attention Obama's association with BLM ... imo

As to the underlined comment you make, all camps have their extremists, imo.

But anyway, I'm still going to see about viewing this latest or earliest generation of ST. :)

Edited by eveln, 15 October 2017 - 11:01 PM.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#62 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

he was saying it is unfair for Trump and the bulk of his voters to be tarred with the brush of his White Nationalist support.  he attempted to rebuff the hypocrisy of the left in this matter by calling them out on never feeling the need to tar Obama with the brush of his BLM support.  this point only works as intended if BLM are understood by his audience to be as categorically repugnant or undesirable as white nationalists are by common consensus.  false equivalence.

white nationalism, at its most benign, is an extremist position that promotes fundamentally redefining the institutions of society around racial discrimination.

BLM on the other hand, although it has morphed over time and does contain some problematic radical elements, is very much what it says on the box -- a movement of people who want to rid the judiciary and law enforcement of systemic racism and maybe have fewer innocent black youths shot by trigger happy cops.  equivalent?  not even close.

no pung intended

#63 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

"he was saying it is unfair for Trump and the bulk of his voters to be tarred with the brush of his White Nationalist support." ..

And to me it seemed he was supremely annoyed at even having to discuss Trump and politics generally when discussing the latest interpretation of a sci-fi fantasy movie.

"... he attempted to rebuff the hypocrisy of the left in this matter by calling them out on never feeling the need to tar Obama with the brush of his BLM support."...

Well I guess he figured why not ? From the critique I looked at, he felt it ludicrous of the producers and writers to be making their own political statements when discussing ST:D

Sure, all art is based on experience, but a good artist, imo, will let the observer determine the impact for their self . rather than spoon feed them so blatantly ... imo ;)

Edited by eveln, 16 October 2017 - 08:53 AM.

atomic has π

#64 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

yes, he is annoyed at political statements being boorishly injected into an escapist show.  thats not in dispute.  i am not taking issue with the wider context of his point, but how it was made — which included a mischaracterisation of BLM — in an effort to clarify an inference i made. 

Edited by @~thehung, 16 October 2017 - 04:03 PM.

no pung intended

#65 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

yes, he is annoyed at political statements being boorishly injected into an escapist show.  thats not in dispute.  i am not taking issue with the wider context of his point, but how it was made — which included a mischaracterisation of BLM — by way of clarifying an inference i made.

yeah rightio. cos of this " gobshite " I am considering getting Netflix again ... only considering mind you :)

atomic has π

#66 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

heres the thing, suppose it is true that the isolationism of the Klingons is in fact a conscious nod to elements of contemporary America.  nothing wrong with that in itself.

there is no reason such a device cant be used to explore the ramifications of this outlook at a galactic geopolitical level, without snidely casting aspersions on any one type of viewer.  some 'isolationists' are racist assholes, while others are good people who simply believe in things like self-determination and charity beginning at home.

will the Klingons necessarily be comic book 'bad guys' or is the universe being created more morally complicated?  i would like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, and after two episodes see no reason not to.  here's hoping.

no pung intended

#67 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

I'm a bit curious why, in the two part 'prologue' of the season, or rather the second ep,

Spoiler

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#68 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

" ...will the Klingons necessarily be comic book 'bad guys' or is the universe being created more morally complicated?  i would like to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, and after two episodes see no reason not to.  here's hoping."

What will it matter though ? ST:D is a prequel right ? ...given I think you've viewed lots of the sequels, you know what thee future holds :P

I'm a bit curious why, in the two part 'prologue' of the season, or rather the second ep,

Spoiler

Lol, who knows ? but your post made me grin

Edited by eveln, 16 October 2017 - 05:29 PM.

atomic has π

#69 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

i am fuzzy on the timelines re: Klingons in original ST vs TNG etc and not sure what problems that would pose

i think it matters, in that if allegory is intended, it should be done with subtlety or not at all. and regardless of that, because moral complication is far more interesting than not and kind of demanded by viewers ever since the dawn of the new golden age of TV.

no pung intended

#70 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Well, given that guy's video critique I'd say he felt the allegory was anything but subtle ... as to the rest of your comment, I agree. however if the producers of ST:D don't keep in mind what has already occurred in Discovery's future, they be looking for a short life.

Off topic : it seems prequels are the fad. I do know of one that's viewing now that imo, is bloody great. Already it shows the fine thread of connection to it's well known future... see the other thread tho ;)

atomic has π

#71 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,597 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

Well, i'm still liking it. :)

Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#72 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

Have watched some of a few episodes of Discovery in the last few days. What I've seen of it I enjoyed. As to the subtitles for the Klingons, I approve :) I will in future try not to be distracted and actually sit and watch whole episodes.

edit: Also re that clip of @~thehung's  Rybags with the guy having an SJW crisis about the show, I'm thinking maybe he didn't get past the first episode :P

edit 2 :  Ooospie !

Edited by eveln, 15 November 2017 - 10:24 PM.

atomic has π

#73 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

Still enjoying STD.  Still couldn't say whether I'm enjoying it more or less than The Orville.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#74 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

Episode 9. Well... that wasn't quite the Klingon romance I was expecting, but... I did call it back on page 2!

[talking about episode 4]

The Klingons became a lot more interesting in this episode, too. I didn't much care for them before, but I'm somewhat intrigued now. Will we see a Klingon rom-com episode in future? I think I speak for everyone when I say, "I HOPE SO." How do passionate Klingons kiss with all that bone mass on their face? I can't wait to find out.

No more until next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users