Photo

installed windows 7 on mums pc no internet

Best Answer Master_Scythe, 29 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

I know whats wrong, and I also know it's bloody hard to fix it.

Basically in the last few years, there has been a wave of HP and DELL PC's that use common chipset BRANDS, with a very obscure MODEL.

They're literally similar enough that Windows will (automatically) install the driver, but then nothing will work as it should.

Common symptoms are USB not working, and more commonly, Ethernet showing as "Connected" but no data can go through (well, packets send, and receive, but they must be 'wrong' somehow, because no network access).

ASROCK is currently doing the same on AM4 and it's ticking me off.....

Windows 7 CD keys can activate Windows 10 now, so I'd STRONGLY advise a clean install. There's always the chance that Windows10 will "reference" the installed drivers when upgrading and you'll end up in no better position.

While this is unfortunate, because you're copping the blame, feel free to quote me when I say THIS and exactly THIS is why you DON'T buy pre-packaged PC's.

They're hard to support, and hard to troubleshoot.

All this is why, to this day, a PCI and PCI-E network card is a staple in my "IT fix it" bag.

Good Ol "Intel 10/100", always giving.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

OK here is my dilemma i installed Linux mint 18 on my mums pc along side windows 10,Then yesterday she has a big hissy fit and wants me to remove Linux,so i removed Linux.

Problem 1 grub 2 is still there ,ive deleted the Linux partition,but grub still wanted to load.

I fixed that problem by installing windows 7 Grub is still there but it seems to boot to windows 7 ok.

Then my plan is to upgrade to windows 10 and problem fixed.BAHAHAHAHA

But i can not for the life of me nearly 2 days trying to get the network adapters drivers installed on windows 7 .

I can get the drivers no problem but the bloody pc does not recognize the usb stick or any other usb device.

I have uninstalled the drivers and let windows reinstall . i Even have the Ethernet cable plugged in still nada .

I tried the command to check usb  but i get error 87 

Need help please Old girls losing it . 

some people worry bout the splinter in an others eye and forget about the log in there own

Cooler Master Cosmos SE case, ,Corsair HX 650 w ,Corsair H 100i Cooler , ,ASUS MG279Q 27inch WQHD IPS FreeSync Monitor

#2 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

https://www.techmest...-boot-windows8/ Did you try something like this?

Is Win10 still on the PC?  Have you tried just reinstalling/refreshing that?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#3 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

im not sure Nich ill try that thanks 

yes mate ive tried that ,thats why i installed windows 7 thanks

the hard drive is in a bit of a mess i think 

i only have one option when i boot up and thats windows 7 ,

i have ubuntu still in the boot order in the bios, hope this helps thanks for your help 

some people worry bout the splinter in an others eye and forget about the log in there own

Cooler Master Cosmos SE case, ,Corsair HX 650 w ,Corsair H 100i Cooler , ,ASUS MG279Q 27inch WQHD IPS FreeSync Monitor

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

Windows 7 doesn't have resident driver support for USB 3.0

So, use a USB 2 port until you get the USB drivers in.  USB 3 ports will usually have blue plastic seperator, older USB usually black or white.

#5 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

Gday Rybags usb 2 and 3 ports  none seem to work

ive tried every usb port in this pc

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

I'm guessing its a chipset driver issue with the motherboard with windows 7.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

More info needed really, like what's the motherboard, or what's the model if a brand name computer.

In my experience Win7 has always provided USB 2 support but if it's something fairly new then maybe the bundled drivers aren't up to it.

#8 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

ok sorry its a HP Desktop ,not sure of the motherboard, MODEL 4CE5100426 i found all the drivers on the HP site but just cant load them 

#9 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Might need to resort to CD burning or something...

Generally with the likes of Dell, HP etc. the support page will have the drivers in alphabetical order or at least nowhere resembling the order they should be installed in.

The easy rule of thumb is - do chipset drivers first.  Reboot if requested each time.

Graphics next.  Then USB, network, sound.  Then the remainder.

Also they often have bloatware that you can live without which you'd call "optional" like helpers, auto updaters etc.  Up to you whether you want that stuff.

Make sure you try for 64 or 32 bit software/drivers as appropriate and for the correct OS.

If you can't get anything for Win8/Win10 then try the Win 7 stuff.

If not for Win 7, then the Vista or XP stuff might work.

But really, if support doesn't go beyond XP the computer's probably not worth keeping.

Edited by Rybags, 28 September 2017 - 10:15 PM.

#10 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

yes but thats the problem i cant get the pc to recognize the usb stick,i will try and burn the drivers to a dvd,i tried to copy them but that diidnt work .Thanks for your help i was just hoping to install the ethernet drivers then im sure windows will update the rest. 

#11 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:05 PM

ok ive burned the drivers to the dvd ,and windows can see the dvd .maybe success .Ill report back ASAP

#12 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

well i followed a tech on hp site but keep getting this driver might not installed correctly ,omg any ideas please anyone 

#13 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:21 AM

Did you try reinstalling win10 after all that?

Is the network port enabled in BIOS?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#14 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:03 AM

going to hunt for the windows 10 dvd today ,yes all usb ports enabled

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:59 AM   Best Answer

I know whats wrong, and I also know it's bloody hard to fix it.

Basically in the last few years, there has been a wave of HP and DELL PC's that use common chipset BRANDS, with a very obscure MODEL.

They're literally similar enough that Windows will (automatically) install the driver, but then nothing will work as it should.

Common symptoms are USB not working, and more commonly, Ethernet showing as "Connected" but no data can go through (well, packets send, and receive, but they must be 'wrong' somehow, because no network access).

ASROCK is currently doing the same on AM4 and it's ticking me off.....

Windows 7 CD keys can activate Windows 10 now, so I'd STRONGLY advise a clean install. There's always the chance that Windows10 will "reference" the installed drivers when upgrading and you'll end up in no better position.

While this is unfortunate, because you're copping the blame, feel free to quote me when I say THIS and exactly THIS is why you DON'T buy pre-packaged PC's.

They're hard to support, and hard to troubleshoot.

All this is why, to this day, a PCI and PCI-E network card is a staple in my "IT fix it" bag.

Good Ol "Intel 10/100", always giving.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Just plunk a copy of Windows 10 on it, windows 7 driver detection on win10 era hardware is a bit iffy at best.

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#17 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Update ok thanks heaps Master _Scythe.what a drama ,then i couldnt find the product key ,i got one online $12 .then paid for a windows 10 key all good now its loading windows 10.

Cheers Guys Once again ,Until next time

#18 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

For what it's worth, you can run windows 10 without activating it, which means without a product key.

You just can't change some user settings, like the theme, desktop background image, etc.

#19 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

If it's a brand-name box then it's probably licenced to run a recent OS anyway.  You just have to install the OEM copy of the right version.

But $12 isn't much - in some cases I'd prefer to do that than piss around for 2 hours.

Edited by Rybags, 29 September 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#20 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

Modern pcs have a win8 or win10 license in the bios so win10 just picks it up and activates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users