Photo

What are your favourite audio player visualisations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

What seems like a long time ago, now, I remember Winamp being relatively new, and it had a bunch of visualisation plugins.  Milkdrop was fun for shits and giggles, but my favourite was always the spectrogram, and I'd just sit there and watch songs playing, trying to track specific instruments to their changes on the screen.

A while back, this winamp plugin stopped working.  Because winamp development has been dead in the water for a few years now, this week I started playing around with foobar (after having meant to do so a decade or more ago), and I was pretty thrilled to find it has a spectrogram plugin, too.

All day I've been listening to Mogwai and Godspeed you! Black emperor, with the spectrogram full-screen on my second monitor.

I'm not being very productive, today.  But I am enjoying it so much.

What are your favourite visualisations for music?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

Winamp development actually only ended semi-recently.

And it's about to relaunch under Radionomy.

I'm still a Milkdrop fan, through Winamp, mainly because it can be "Set as your background".

I'm a fan of whatever that pulsing circle effect that people use on Youtube Videos at the moment is too.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 stuub27

stuub27

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

https://www.soundspe...x.html?src=home

I used to like this...but haven't used it for years. Always went the cheap (free!) option

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Nah.  That's a placeholder after they bought it for shoutcast.  No real work is being done on it, and unofficial attempts have had some legal threats made to stop them.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

Nah.  That's a placeholder after they bought it for shoutcast.  No real work is being done on it, and unofficial attempts have had some legal threats made to stop them.

Wow really? The website still promises a new player eventually.

It's only been a few years, so there's still hope. I can't imagine a program as wide reaching and fully featured as Winamp would be easy to re-engineer.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:11 PM

Exactly - a few years.  That's the kind of promise that's never delivered on.  If they were serious, they'd get out fixes to make it work cleanly with, say, win10, rather than relying on unofficial patches from fansites (eg https://getwacup.com/ )

#7 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

haha i remember milkdrop, R4, monkey etc

yeah, i dig em.  but its like they died.

theres a wealth of possibilities on the horizon, including interactive stuff pioneered by games like Audiosurf, but it seems like just when desktop PC visuals were starting to get really impressive music went ultra-portable and hence not enough people care to even sustain a niche.

no pung intended

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users