• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

In folks I know there seem to be 2 camps emerging - those who yawned at the first and think the same of the second and those who loved the first and thin the second is great. Not surprising really :)

No, not really. :) Very encouraging for those of who loved the first, though.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#22 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

i wrote elsewhere here:

Blade Runner was...kinda boring.

...the themes are fascinating. the movies oozes mood and atmosphere. there is time to think, digest, and be swallowed up in turn by its pervasively bleak and palpably realised future vision. it broods; never feeling compelled to fill every spare moment with vacuous dialogue or explosions.

problem is, it also yawns. and its just not held together in a way that matches the narrative and thematic complexity of the short story on which it is (loosely) based.  such a shame.

i have to say, its a uniquely impressive movie for sure.  the imagery and mood of so many of its sequences is weirdly indelible in my mind, distinct and familiar as if it were my own recurring dream.  the same cannot be said for so many movies ive enjoyed far more. 

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated.  it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there.  and while i can understand the hate for the narrated version, without it there was even less substance.  but thats another reason.  its insistance on dank inscrutibility lends it a counter-cultural coolness that was always ripe for a cult following in retrospect.

ive yet to see the 'Final Cut' version.  i think i will watch that and then set to work on it.  because this film could be edited to about 1/2 its length, gain something of a pulse, and lose very little of its dreamy dystopian juju.  i would love to see that movie!  the speedball antidote to all the quaalude versions.

no pung intended

#23 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

i was encouraged by this thread to have a word to uncle terrence about the final cut version

still in two minds as to whether it will get a viewing, and i already have the original version and have avoided watching (or more accuratel;y, attempting to watch) it for quite some years

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#24 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

hmm.  i hope i didnt imply the final cut version is the severely truncated beast my own personal speedball version will be.  (i see it could be read that way)

no pung intended

#25 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

Ooopsie. I blame the king salmon, It really did command full attention.

... and I messed up the scene quote. ...

And there I was hoping to show my relaxed / not so pedantic nature :P~

Final cut did not seem so short a movie. I was looking for the end a little before time. The closed in darkness of the film was erking me, I really really wanted some sun ;)

... just a little blue sky would've settled me down some. << I guess feeling like that, is the intent and part of the whole experience

@ scruffy ... Stan is showing a version too. just not sure which

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#26 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated.  it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there.

More than you think is there, that is :). Both Blade Runner movies are about what people we accept and those we think of as 'beneath us'. That attitude is as old as time, with my tribe being better than your tribe, white better than black or asylum seeker worth less than everybody else.

The story isn't new, but the time and place are. Even though the story isn't original, I don't think that means there is nothing to it.

Edited by Mac Dude, 09 October 2017 - 07:24 AM.

Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#27 NightOwl

NightOwl

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:43 AM

I'm always a bit wary of remakes, especially those of epic movies like Blade Runner. Was planning on waiting for the DVD, but I'm thinking this might be worthy of a cinema outing after all ! If it turns out to be a disappointing smear on a legendary piece of movie-dom, I'll just blame MacDude .... :)
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition No. 76

#28 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:51 AM

If it turns out to be a disappointing smear on a legendary piece of movie-dom, I'll just blame MacDude .... :)

Ditto. I shall blame him very hard. Possibly even with words, and not just feelings! ;p

#29 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

the pressure is on!
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#30 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated.  it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there.

More than you think is there, that is :). Both Blade Runner movies are about what people we accept and those we think of as 'beneath us'. That attitude is as old as time, with my tribe being better than your tribe, white better than black or asylum seeker worth less than everybody else.

The story isn't new, but the time and place are. Even though the story isn't original, I don't think that means there is nothing to it.

or, maybe i read everything just fine, and youre reacting because you feel my critique insults your intelligence.  understandable, but theres no need to feel that way.  no matter how deep the movie is, its possible to overestimate that depth.  and whether or not you yourself have, it doesnt mean many others havent.  besides, its not like thematic depth is the ultimate measure of a film's worth.

i enjoy watching MMA, and i'd wager my interest is in it is far more cerebral than that of the rednecks who are so numerous they pretty much define the fanbase.  but these perspectives can coexist independently.  if Blade Runner is beloved by posturing psuedo-intellectuals of uncritical taste this neednt concern you.  if you profess a love for it, i dont automatically assume youre one of them.

yes, Blade Runner is deep.  its a deeply flawed masterpiece.  its dense in all the ways.  multi-layered, and hard to get through.  like a Shakespearean sonnet mindlessly padded out to a thousand words.  nothing happens in it that wouldnt fit inside a one hour window.  this is, in my subjective opinion, is an objective flaw.  but cult films sometimes garner such an inflated aura of importance that any discussion of flaws is branded as sacrilege.  which is why thousands suffer needlessly each year.  the people who have been putting it off, who maybe (probably) fell asleep last time.  its those innocents i care about.  this is for them.

no pung intended

#31 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

i wrote elsewhere here:

Blade Runner was...kinda boring.

...the themes are fascinating. the movies oozes mood and atmosphere. there is time to think, digest, and be swallowed up in turn by its pervasively bleak and palpably realised future vision. it broods; never feeling compelled to fill every spare moment with vacuous dialogue or explosions.

problem is, it also yawns. and its just not held together in a way that matches the narrative and thematic complexity of the short story on which it is (loosely) based.  such a shame.

i have to say, its a uniquely impressive movie for sure.  the imagery and mood of so many of its sequences is weirdly indelible in my mind, distinct and familiar as if it were my own recurring dream.  the same cannot be said for so many movies ive enjoyed far more. 

but i think thats part of the reason its so overrated.  it entices one to read into it far more than was ever really there.  and while i can understand the hate for the narrated version, without it there was even less substance.  but thats another reason.  its insistance on dank inscrutibility lends it a counter-cultural coolness that was always ripe for a cult following in retrospect.

ive yet to see the 'Final Cut' version.  i think i will watch that and then set to work on it.  because this film could be edited to about 1/2 its length, gain something of a pulse, and lose very little of its dreamy dystopian juju.  i would love to see that movie!  the speedball antidote to all the quaalude versions.

or, maybe i read everything just fine, and youre reacting because you feel my critique insults your intelligence.  understandable, but theres no need to feel that way.  no matter how deep the movie is, its possible to overestimate that depth.  and whether or not you yourself have, it doesnt mean many others havent.  besides, its not like thematic depth is the ultimate measure of a film's worth.

i enjoy watching MMA, and i'd wager my interest is in it is far more cerebral than that of the rednecks who are so numerous they pretty much define the fanbase.  but these perspectives can coexist independently.  if Blade Runner is beloved by posturing psuedo-intellectuals of uncritical taste this neednt concern you.  if you profess a love for it, i dont automatically assume youre one of them.

yes, Blade Runner is deep.  its a deeply flawed masterpiece.  its dense in all the ways.  multi-layered, and hard to get through.  like a Shakespearean sonnet mindlessly padded out to a thousand words.  nothing happens in it that wouldnt fit inside a one hour window.  this is, in my subjective opinion, is an objective flaw.  but cult films sometimes garner such an inflated aura of importance that any discussion of flaws is branded as sacrilege.  which is why thousands suffer needlessly each year.  the people who have been putting it off, who maybe (probably) fell asleep last time.  its those innocents i care about.  this is for them.

Much like how you could have conveyed all that with a simple "It was alright, but a bit long."

#32 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

or, maybe i read everything just fine, and youre reacting because you feel my critique insults your intelligence.

Not sure why you think that. You're wrong but entitled to your opinion of course.

As for there being nothing in the movie, while I take reviews with a grain of salt there are many that disagree with you.

While I believe enjoyment of a movie is very much a taste thing where everybody is equally entitled to enjoy a movie, or not, I think there is enough evidence to support my PoV on the substance.

#33 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:50 PM

nothing happens in it that wouldnt fit inside a one hour window.

And there I disagree. IMO, the time taken to unfold the story is integral: it's indicative of the characters not being supercomputers. Real life has breaks of no action, and people can take a while to appreciate what's right under their noses. As a happy accident, telling the story more slowly gives the audience get to understand at least part of it as it happens, rather than having to go over their mental notes after the fact.

If you have problems with this movie's pacing, you had better never try to watch Silent Running. Also, how on Earth did you manage to get through Moon or Lord of the Rings?

#34 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:01 PM

Much like how you could have conveyed all that with a simple "It was alright, but a bit long."

haha nice burn bro :)

but while we are here on an internet discussion forum, whats your take on the movie? use emojis if you like.

As for there being nothing in the movie, while I take reviews with a grain of salt there are many that disagree with you.

"themes are fascinating" "oozes mood and atmosphere" "pervasively bleak and palpably realised future vision" "dreamy dystopian juju" (i quite like that) "uniquely impressive" "flawed masterpiece" "multi-layered"

evidently, i think there is a whole lot in the movie.
no pung intended

#35 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,389 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

/slight derail ...

personally, I find marrow and tripe without flavour and substance. There are many, many, who think other wise. << That does not in any way influence my negative thoughts on either the tripe or the marrow

... \end derail.

@~thehung. I would leave off the argument. It is futile as Mac Dude is doing his usual of arguing against thin air ... imo

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#36 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

haha nice burn bro :)

but while we are here on an internet discussion forum, whats your take on the movie? use emojis if you like.

It was a long time ago, but I liked it. While it didn't blow me away or anything, it certainly inspired my imagination. As a simple commoner, I generally appreciate those aspects more than any intellectual message a film tries to convey.

#37 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

If you have problems with this movie's pacing, you had better never try to watch Silent Running. Also, how on Earth did you manage to get through Moon or Lord of the Rings?

are you honestly telling me you were not ever bored at times? i am asking this without a trace of sneering sarcasm.

haha i actually watched Silent Running very recently. saw part of it on TV many years ago and finally tracked it down. i would agree that large chunks of down time were integral to feeling Bruce Derns isolation. still wouldve liked just a tad more plot though. and what was with all that jarring Joan Baez music? hard to appreciate the emotional counterpoint it was meant to serve up outside of the context of the time. it was alright, but a bit long.

really enjoyed Moon. i even liked the Soderbergh's Solaris remake, and thats pretty slooooow.

no pung intended

#38 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

are you honestly telling me you were not ever bored at times?

Honestly answering too: No, not once. BR has, since it came out, been one of my favourite movies. It's been in my collection in VHS, DVD, and BR formats.

I had read the PK Dick short beforehand, but largely forgotten it by the time the movie came out. I read it again afterward, and didn't enjoy it nearly as much, though the "What is human?" question was more obvious.

haha i actually watched Silent Running very recently. ... it was alright, but a bit long.

LoL - nice summary. :) That's in my collection as well, but that one gets watched with some judicious use of the FFW button. ;)

really enjoyed Moon. i even liked the Soderbergh's Solaris remake, and thats pretty slooooow.

So... It isn't the pacing that is your issue with Blade Runner, then, is it? I mean, it's fine to not like any particular movie, but if you're good with one being slow then another also being slow should also not inherently be a problem.

#39 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

Did people go into the movie having watched all the small featurettes released on youtube and etc to help set the scene/bridge the movies?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#40 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:41 PM

Did people go into the movie having watched all the small featurettes released on youtube and etc to help set the scene/bridge the movies?

...Yew...Toob..? 1982 cybes wants to know what that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users