• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:28 AM

I guess I have made around thirty PCs over the years and done countless upgrades - never I have never done a workstation build nor water cooled build and I haven't tweaked memory timings, multipliers and voltages nearly as much as others here.  Hence if there is a top notch store in Australia - better still in Sydney - be great to leverage that and have local support!

Edited by g__day, 19 October 2017 - 01:29 AM.

Talent + Integrity = Atomic!

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

I guess I have made around thirty PCs over the years and done countless upgrades - never I have never done a workstation build nor water cooled build and I haven't tweaked memory timings, multipliers and voltages nearly as much as others here.  Hence if there is a top notch store in Australia - better still in Sydney - be great to leverage that and have local support!

An all-in-one water cooler is actually quite good these days, about 80% the quality of a custom build.

So if you do end up DIY assembling something, those AOI watercoolers are a GREAT choice.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

aio are still typically louder than custom due to the small rads with dense fins

although they do well in cases with crap airflow

big hsf like nh-d15 still hit the best balance for those wanting low noise decent performance for overclocking and reliability

provided the case has some airflow

MD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Socket TR4 3.4GHz Unlocked CPU Processor $1345 umart
Asus Prime X399-A AMD Ryzen Threadripp​er Socket TR4 $479.2 <futu online 20% off or just asrock x399 $499 umart and get them to build it

i dont know that i would recommend umart from personal experience but there cheap and those that deal with them in store instead of online seem happy enough

unfortunately they dont stock Noctua NH-U14S CPU Cooler (TR4/SP3 Edition) $115 yet but they do sell noctua products so maybe they could get them if asked

skycomp is in syd and has been good to me thus far when purchasing online

there is a good list of stores here with user ratings for them

https://whirlpool.ne...Shops#auspc_nsw

Edited by Dasa, 19 October 2017 - 10:22 AM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#24 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

I have a coolermaster... something.... 240 AIO cooler, it's totally silent, like, absolutely silent.

If I put my hand on the pump I can feel its light 'hum' but otherwise, coming from a Noctua C12p with the upgraded 14cm fan, it's chalk and cheese.

The coolermaster is MUCH cooler, and MUCH more quiet (probably because it rarely gets over 20% pump rate on my overclocked Haswel-E, where as air cooling needed to be at 50% or higher to maintain the same temps)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#25 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

I'd have doubts about an AIO on a multi-CPU system where there's likely to be near 100% workloads for long periods.

Generally these things are good for the consumer 4-core CPUs and workloads where it's just 1 or 2 cores full on or sporadic full workloads.

#26 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

that's a good point

aio have a bit of a buffer in there water that can absorb a bit of heat vs a hsf that doesn't but after that it comes down to which has the biggest surface area that allows for the least restrictive airflow

its the fans trying to force air through tightly packed fins and water channels that make aio louder

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
Parts Guide

#27 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

There's a good YT video around that argues that most watercooling comparos vs air aren't done properly.

It comes down to thermal mass - water cooling takes a long time to accumulate the heat but also takes a long time to get rid of it.  So the 3 minute type workouts commonly used are all wrong.

For a proper comparison and especially in g__day's usage case you'd want 30 minutes or even longer of sustained workout and in that case many water systems would show their weaknesses.

#28 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

There's been a few examples of Hybrid blocks.

Basically oversize CPU blocks, with water fittings, but also fins.

Best of both worlds.

#29 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Sigh - imagine being wealthy enough to afford both paths - get one of each and benchmark.  Or if there was a dual Threadripper workstation motherboard...

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

Sigh - imagine being wealthy enough to afford both paths - get one of each and benchmark.  Or if there was a dual Threadripper workstation motherboard...

Nah see, that won't happen IMO, for one main reason.

A threadripper chip is 2X 8 cores, there's actually enough room for ANOTHER two cores on the die.

32 core is on par with Intels greatest chip IIRC, so I don't think they'll be dual socketing them any time soon.

#31 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Whilst I am  waiting, and waiting for The Server Store to get back to me - what do folk think of Umart's Core I7 7820X range - a 3.6 - 4.2 GHz 8 core CPU doesn;t seem too bad for $775 to me.  Pair it with a decent motherboard and say 32 GB (2x16GB) of DDR4 RAM and there are the barebones of a quite decent system.

Probably not as fast as the dual core Xeon for CPU dominated tasks but in general a lot fast than I have now with no international warranties or returns to deal with, local seller in close proximity and easy to upgrade in many directions I/O wise.

Edited by g__day, 26 October 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#32 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

for games the cache setup on the 7820x gimps it a bit vs the older 6900k but then it does well in rendering although not as good as threadripper

http://translate.goo...LCUdiXdSf5gp0kw

oc_nv_arma3.pngoc_x264.png

Parts Guide

#33 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Considering you're getting your jollys from multicore....

THIS might interest you.

#34 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Seen that one before - beast of a multi core machine - slow as in most general purpose multi core applications unless your a top notch wiz in knowing how to set each up and use all the correct multi threaded libraries.  Would have loved one of these back in the eighties when I was doing my thesis on parallel processing - would have made the abstract so incredibley real!  All the Whiteboards I took up with managing CPU - CPU - RAM interconnects via queues - could have been put to a real word test - would have loved that.  If you can think laterally enough we found many ways to take tasks and make them suitable for parallel processing.  SOmetime we would ponder - if you had a slow multi-processor with near infinite memory how would you change your algorthim to take advantage to do X - like Sort; well in the extreme you could put every variation of numbers to sort into all the possible patterns and just select the right one - etc.  Insights like that would lead to how you better need to design parallel tasks based on the h/w available.  SIxty foure cores back then - wow!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users