8 replies to this topic

#1 RedJive

RedJive

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

Hey guys,

I used to post regularly back in my highschool and uni days (about a decade ago now) when the magazine was still the best around.

My rig is a dated one now.

- i5 4590 3.3hhz (no aftermarket cooling, no overclock means why bother. Its stable with stock cooler!)
- Asus Sabertooth z97 mk2

- Asus r9 290x Reference (which actually has served really phenomenonly for the past 4 years. I can still get 144fps on overwatch on low).

- 8gb of ram (some kind of older slower corsair ddr3)

The reason im upgrading is the r9 is showing signs of age. It will randomly crash, it runs hot (not unusual for the reference edition), and it seems that it may not be long for this world. I have cleaned it tons of times, replaced thermal paste every 6-12 months. Everything else works pretty well.

I was thinking of not replacing the entire system but rather getting a refurb i7 chip (one that I can overclock), new and faster ram and a new graphics card.

I was looking at GTX 1080.

The machine has to last another 4 years.

So my question is, do I upgrade. Or work some extra shifts and get a new rig with similar parts. 
What I think I might do Is maybe source a config that has equivelent cost components and see what that kind of machine would look like today. 

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

i5-4590 isn't exactly a slouch, I have an i7-4790 which is only really betters it by being a bit quicker and having hyperthreading.  You could get a quicker LGA1150 CPU but really the benefits wouldn't be that great.

RAM - I've done the spend lots of money on quicker Ram thing in the past and really you don't notice much.  So long as you've got 8 Gig or more.  I suppose if it's crippled at 1066 speeds then worth a look at replacing.

IMO consider an SSD for system drive, considering you can have 120 Gig for about $70 or 240 Gig for a little over $100 there's few reasons not to.

That and a better graphics card, I suppose the only question is whether to get an AMD or nVidia. 

New rig with better parts - really you're talking $600+ just for a slight improvement on the CPU, MB and Ram then it'll be that again or more for graphics card.  Probably better to just spend $650-$800 on a better graphics card and SSD.

#3 RedJive

RedJive

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:05 PM

Mmm, that does make sense. Hahah I forgot to add that yeah It has a samsung evo 840 120gig (which was the drive i put in when I built the system) and an intel ssd (giberish designation - i had too google it, its a 520) 120gb.

After checking out the new samsung ones, their random read speed is almost twice as quick.
But is m.2 noticably faster?

A part of my PC building philosophy has always been to look what will keep me gaming even when technology around me changes. So being able to support m.2 drives might be important in the next few years?
Povided we dont get blown up.

So really, the question is: do I want to spend 600-900 or 1200-2000+.

Edited by RedJive, 15 October 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

I've got several SSDs of varying speeds and don't notice a huge difference.  The operative thing is that they crap on mech drives for random access speeds.

So unless there's some compelling reason probably just stick with the ones you have.

The quick/easy tuning for SSDs is to make sure the BIOS is in AHCI mode and try and keep them under 80% space utilization.  Use the quicker one as system drive, maybe put the page file on the other one though it'd be barely used anyway.  If not in AHCI mode already it's not a straightforward change - there's generally a registry hack to go in before rebooting and changing it in the Bios.

#5 RedJive

RedJive

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

That is interesting, becuase unfortunately I have been keeping them regularly above 90% capacity. I am going to have to add an SSD as well then. I am going to have to check the bios mode in a bit becuase I also have never heard of AHCI mode.

#6 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

NVME/m2 SSDs are worth it if you're buying a new drive and your board supports it, but for gaming I don't think there's value in upgrading just to get one.

Same for most of your PC.

It's rare for me to find my 4690 struggling to handle my day to day tasks, and while I did spend extra for a k, and a third party HSF, all I've really done is bump the turbo to 4.2ghz because I'm too lazy to work out what makes it unstable at 4.4

It's your money, your sense of what is good value will differ, but IMO, if your only issue with your build is the video card is getting unstable with age, then just replace that. Whether you want to get a 1080/1080ti, or chase a new AMD card, will depend on just how long you want to have it last vs paying less to replace it sooner, and just how much grunt you want/need now.

I would suggest another 8gb of RAM tho', it stops windows and games competing for the same small pool.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#7 RedJive

RedJive

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, I have had the best luck with AMD cards. I had a (so old) x800 xt and thing kept me happy for many years and this amd card has kept me happy for many years, but would a vega card do the same? Or would 1080Ti be the best bet for 4 more years of gaming glory?

#8 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

I think perhaps the issue is, both may last that long, but will cost a lot. a 1080ti is really best for VR and 4k setups.

I imagine you'd save a fair chunk if you bought something that'll keep you happy for 2 years, sell it or find another use for it, and then get something to last 2 more years.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

See what the new 1070ti can do, and get it if it is priced right

https://www.pcgamesn...x-1070-ti-specs

Edited by Jeruselem, 17 October 2017 - 09:42 AM.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users