• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Casmo

Casmo

Serf

• Lurker
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

Hi guys, is it a good idea to use cleaning tools for Mac?

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

What model, what OS, how much Ram?

Could give something like CCleaner a go.  Newer OSes with under 4 Gig Ram aren't a real good idea.  There's cutoff for earliest machine supported by OSes and if you're near the start it's likely to not perform real well.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,033 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

If you're running a newer macOS on an older machine, it's expected not to perform very well.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#4 Rilan

Rilan

Serf

• Lurker
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

First of all, you should shut down unneeded background programs and delete all useless files. Or you can use a cleaning tool. Find more useful info here - macprocleaner.com

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

That site looks like a 1 man operation... and unless you need to be browsing with an actual Mac, it looks like he's forgotten to put any download links on it.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

First of all, you should shut down unneeded background programs and delete all useless files. Or you can use a cleaning tool. Find more useful info here - macprocleaner.com

Yeah I wouldn't trust the joke of a website if you literally paid me.

Do NOT use any tips from that site.

Things simply are bullshit, and while there's no software or anything to download YET, on there, I'm betting it will soon appear.

What will happen if I do not clean my Mac from the junk files and duplicates?

The worst outcome you should expect is when in the middle of some important work process your computer simply freezes. Of course, you can always restart it and get back to your task. However, this can repeat a few times during the day. Moreover, the booting of some apps can take twice more time than before. Finally, having too many duplicates of media files can cause cluttering of your disk soon. As a result, you’ll reach the virtual memory threshold.

I mean, for anyone who's not IT savvy, this is all just bullshit.

Lies.

False.

"Junk Files" and "Duplicates" are not only, occasionally necessary, but will NEVER do anything more than Fill your HDD up.

And it has NOTHING to do with "Virtual Memory" rofl!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

The biggest joke is that the website has no actual downloads or links to downloads.

At first I just thought it was a case of browser ID check where you only get relevant links depending on your computer and OS.

Check using Safari on the Mac, same thing.

Then have a look around.  It seems there's a Facebook page and Kickstarter page.

Seems to me a huge case of Vaporware and this guy's trying to raise money in aid of software that probably exists only in his imagination... and whether any money raised would go to that cause ?

#8 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

Thanks to an interesting bug with firefox an extension I found the other month, I actually did have a scenario where my PC ran like shit because firefox would fill up all available RAM, and then fill up all available virtual memory, and only then do a garbage collection round that freed up SFA.

But it didn't make the computer freeze and hang and that's it. It just killed the runaway process - firefox.

I can't imagine that a system with virtual memory set to dynamic, and a full drive so it can never really create a swap file, might do some odd things. But probably not what the warning on the site says.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Thanks to an interesting bug with firefox an extension I found the other month, I actually did have a scenario where my PC ran like shit because firefox would fill up all available RAM, and then fill up all available virtual memory, and only then do a garbage collection round that freed up SFA.

But it didn't make the computer freeze and hang and that's it. It just killed the runaway process - firefox.

I can't imagine that a system with virtual memory set to dynamic, and a full drive so it can never really create a swap file, might do some odd things. But probably not what the warning on the site says.

That's just the classic FireFox memory leak, its been present since the start, and there's almost no way to control it.

A lot comes from the way ads work these days, in that they're always  "updating" and the page 'grows' with each update.

If I leave my work browser open for a weekend, with about 20 tabs, when I get back to work on Monday it's taking 8GB of "Memory" up from 600mb.

This is normal behavior, even on a fresh install.

Waterfox is less of a culprit.

Opera is pretty decent too; while still being webkit.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

That's not the classic firefox memory leak, it was a specific bug with a specific extension and specific websites.

I know because apart from the bugzilla ticket, the issue disappeared as soon as I stopped using that addon with buzzfeed open.

Also because I regularly have hundreds of tabs open for weeks at a time.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

That's not the classic firefox memory leak, it was a specific bug with a specific extension and specific websites.

I know because apart from the bugzilla ticket, the issue disappeared as soon as I stopped using that addon with buzzfeed open.

Also because I regularly have hundreds of tabs open for weeks at a time.

Strange, because I still see that same behavior on fresh windows installs without plugins on Firefox.

It doesn't seem nearly as bad on Linux, though.

I wonder whats causing it on my base installs.... hmm...

Edited by Master_Scythe, 24 October 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#12 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

WTF would anyone want hundreds of browser tabs going?

"FISTING001.JPG" "FISTING002.JPG" "FISTING003.JPG"

OK... suppose I understand.

#13 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:32 AM

WTF would anyone want more than 10 pages in their newspaper?

It's easier to keep specific research related pages open and minimised, rather than digging through bookmarks menus trying to find something specific.

And, yeah, it's strange. NFI what you're doing to Firefox, MS, but I'll PM you a link to my bug report to see just how fucked up the memory usage actually was.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

WTF would anyone want more than 10 pages in their newspaper?

It's easier to keep specific research related pages open and minimised, rather than digging through bookmarks menus trying to find something specific.

And, yeah, it's strange. NFI what you're doing to Firefox, MS, but I'll PM you a link to my bug report to see just how fucked up the memory usage actually was.

Had a read, that was pretty hectic.

Yeah I'm not sure either. I know it's a memory leak, because if I kill the process, then relaunch and 'recover my tabs', the memory usage is normal again.

If it wasn't a leak, and was content based, it'd load to near the same usage.

Waterfox is affected less for me, so I'm a full time convert.

#15 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Have you hit garbage collection in about:memory to see what happens, rather than killing the process?

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

Have you hit garbage collection in about:memory to see what happens, rather than killing the process?

No, I didn't know about this, thanks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users