8 replies to this topic

#1 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

2nuW5Bt.jpg

I'm up to Inkwell Isle Three, having started playing only last week. People have been saying it's the Dark Souls of platformers, which I agree with to some extent, but I'd rather describe it as a more accessible Metal Slug.

But all that aside, I LOVE it. It's a callback to the type of video game I love, things like Metal Slug, Gradius, Contra, Ghouls and Ghosts, and the like.

As a cherry on top of this delicious cake, the game is on GoG, DRM FREE JUST LIKE GRANDMA USED TO MAKE.

So who's playing? Beaten it? Engaged in dangerous drinking activity as a misguided strategy?
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,133 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Never even looked at the page for it, sorry. The stuff I've seen for it just never appealed to me.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,227 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Not sure how lasting it'd be for me.

Big challenge seems to be finding a video of it that's not narrated over by a manic wanker.

#4 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,751 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Remember the time the internet lampooned a Journalist who found the game difficult???

yeah

I couldn't even complete one level when I tried a Demo.

I love the art stye, but I'm not in love with the gameplay.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

The footage reminded me of Wiz and Liz on Sega Megadrive.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Sir_Substance

Sir_Substance

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

Keenly awaiting the promised linux port :3

Kablez- You can only beat a brick wall with so many sticks until... you wasted all your time collecting and breaking sticks against a wall... Tantryl- Knowledge is the new power, but will never provide a stable baseload as cost effective as burning puppies. mm80x: I allege that Sir substance must be from the internet

#7 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

never heard of it, but it looks amazing!

also, looks annoying as hell to play.  way too frenetic from the get go, and in that maddening context jive/swing/bebop (or whatever it is) would drive me to ragequit in no time.

BUT gotta applaud the art direction.  kudos to anything with a such a well realised concept.  its like Steamboat Willie went platform.  all the animations not only nail the wacky early animation aesthetic, but there must be a lot of work under the hood managing the timings within in different screen boundaries and getting collision detection to play nice and the animation transitions so silky smooth.   what an achievement!  even if i have no desire to play it.

Edited by @~thehung, 22 October 2017 - 11:02 AM.

no pung intended

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

also, looks annoying as hell to play.  way too frenetic from the get go

Then I'd advise you not look into bullet storm games :P

I love em to death!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

well, i like games like Sine Mora and Jamestown, even though they get a bit too hectic.  shmups are a bit different though.  and they usually ramp up and back off rather than redline the whole way.

but yeah, not into platformers with mess everywhere all the time that require constant acrobatics and button mashing.

the last platformer i had a lot of fun playing (coop) was Splosion Man.  that gets really difficult and tense, but theres also plenty of time to just enjoy controlling the character.

no pung intended

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users