• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Basically, my current system is in my sig below.  I have had that system since circa 2012 so that makes it fairly old already.  I have replaced a  drive or 2 and a graphics card but essentially, the CPU, RAM, MB, havent changed since then.  What has prompted this is that my SSD, a vertex 4, went caput the other day and i looked at the options and thought of M.2. but as you know x79 doesnt natively support that and doesnt have the sockets for it on board.  While the machine is still a beast, I just felt I needed to bring it up to date with the current tech.  However, as you problably already know, its 4 CPU generations removed from when it was first released and of course, RAM as moved to DDR4.  

So, I guess what I am asking is, what would your recommendations be for an upgrade to something like what it was back in 2012.  If you get what I mean.  

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Sandy Bridge isn't too bad, IMO the main deficiencies of such systems are usually lack of USB 3, Sata3 and later gen ports and that it's FP performance vs newer generations isn't so crash hot.

Though considering yours is on the 2011 socket there's generally better IO capabilities by default.

For general computing though 6 cores would make up for most shortfall though the base/turbo speeds aren't so impressive these days.

From what I see the big weakness is your graphics card, 3 generations removed and what you'd call a "high medium" or "bottom of the high" range of the day.

For gaming just a decent modern card like 1070-1080 would make a huge difference.

The RAM - going to DDR4 with a newer *Lake the DDR4 improvement is just part of the overall package and IMO it's in no way worth upgrading a system just for the sake of that one component.

But really, if you're going to be throwing $4K around it's probably worth considering the higher end AMD as well as Intel 6 or more core offerings.

Edited by Rybags, 28 October 2017 - 08:29 PM.

#3 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

Sandy Bridge isn't too bad, IMO the main deficiencies of such systems are usually lack of USB 3, Sata3 and later gen ports and that it's FP performance vs newer generations isn't so crash hot.

Though considering yours is on the 2011 socket there's generally better IO capabilities by default.

For general computing though 6 cores would make up for most shortfall though the base/turbo speeds aren't so impressive these days.

From what I see the big weakness is your graphics card, 3 generations removed and what you'd call a "high medium" or "bottom of the high" range of the day.

For gaming just a decent modern card like 1070-1080 would make a huge difference.

The RAM - going to DDR4 with a newer *Lake the DDR4 improvement is just part of the overall package and IMO it's in no way worth upgrading a system just for the sake of that one component.

But really, if you're going to be throwing $4K around it's probably worth considering the higher end AMD as well as Intel 6 or more core offerings.

Thanks Rybags for the quick reply.  However, you drew my attention to a minor mistake that didnt catch that my current GFX card is actually a 1070 which I bought only a year ago.  Sorry about that, I will make the change to my sig,

With regards, to the rest of your post, I do agree.  The current system is still beast considering its age.  Even with current day graphics software, photoshop and the like, its still fast.  Startup times are still in the 10s of seconds, more like 25 seconds.  Game startups are crisp and fast and with the 1070 still looks good too.  As you already no doubt pointed out, the only bottlenecks are the later gen sockets like M.2 and that DDR4 is not a good enough reason to upgrade.  Truth be told, I am finding it hard to justify even partial systems upgrade at this time.

I would still like to see some suggestions on what you would put into a system of your own if you were building one, within reason of course :P  Probably the only limitation I would put is that the system have as many expansion slots as possible, as in drive slots and the like.

Edited by strifus, 29 October 2017 - 10:23 AM.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#4 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:17 PM

what kinda oc are you running on the cpu? if its stock then a 8700k is a fairly decent upgrade ~45-50% quicker but if its running a high oc then it would still be decent but a fair bit less so at ~35-40% quicker

http://cpu.userbench...930K/3937vs1487

3200+ ddr4 can be a fair help to cpu efficiency in some programs over ddr3

http://www.overclock...3000c12-4000c17

if your happy with the performance for now there is no reason not to get a large sata ssd and keep it as a secondary drive once you upgrade to a m.2 compatible mb down the line

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

NVMe SSDs are nice if you need to buy one anyway and your motherboard supports one, but it's pretty unlikely you'll really notice the difference enough to justify replacing motherboard/cpu/ram just to use one.

I ran through a similar upgrade crisis earlier in the year - whoa look at how fast NVME drives rate in comparison benchmarks! whoa my current computer (4690k) feels suddenly so slow!

And then I looked at the cost of gutting and replacing it all, and I found a bunch of better uses for that money. Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade again, just for some more raw compute power and bandwidth for when I stress the thing, but it's not feeling urgent yet, or even necessary. It's a want, not a need.

I got my kids a 7760 (I think) a few months back, with some relatively fast ram, and an NVME drive, and a spare 970GTX I was gifted. I can't say it felt any faster to use than mine.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

The new z370 lineup paired with coffeelake would be a great option if you just want whats newest, otherwise I've been getting some awesome performance on some systems with the Ryzen 7 processors, and have heard a lot of love for threadripper

Generally, NVME drives or PCIE drives would be fantastic, and not a problem given your budget

If you don't need to go to 4k as well,, the 1080 would be fantastic, otherwise you could look at the 1080ti offerings like the Aorus version?

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#7 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

The new z370 lineup paired with coffeelake would be a great option if you just want whats newest, otherwise I've been getting some awesome performance on some systems with the Ryzen 7 processors, and have heard a lot of love for threadripper

Generally, NVME drives or PCIE drives would be fantastic, and not a problem given your budget

If you don't need to go to 4k as well,, the 1080 would be fantastic, otherwise you could look at the 1080ti offerings like the Aorus version?

Sorry.  I made a tiny change to my sig.  Currently, have a GTX1070 on board.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users