• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that ... if you don't have the equity to match the market as the unit price drops it basically takes all your money and then kicks you out

"but, but.... it'll recover" said every gormless gambler who lost everything they had whilst maintaining firm belief that the rally would happen very soon

Like i said, if you don't have the equity in your trading account to match the margin as the price drops and you hadn't been smart and set a "stop loss", it takes all your money and kicks you out of the position.

I'm taking the hit as a learning experience, I watch those videos "5 most common trading mistakes" and I'm seeing that that's what I did. I think in future I'll keep my margin around 10-15%

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 14 November 2017 - 05:32 PM.

MY CURRENT SIGNATURE

#22 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

U think you have to detach yourself from the emotions, think long term. Expect short term corrections I guess.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#23 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

U think you have to detach yourself from the emotions, think long term. Expect short term corrections I guess.

Yeah, I've been reading that. Don't make decisions based on emotions. Be patient.

MY CURRENT SIGNATURE

#24 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,792 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

eeeeeeeeee, BTC is almost at $20,000 AUD

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

Who was it on here, who bought everyones bitcoins in 2009 for $30 each, or something?

Hopefully that Atomican is feeling rich right about now!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#26 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

Who was it on here, who bought everyones bitcoins in 2009 for $30 each, or something?

When Bitcoin first started, there was a guy bought a pizza for the bargain price of 1,000BC.  I cannot even comprehend that magnitude of "D'oh!".

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#27 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Are they even still alive?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#28 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:56 PM

Are they even still alive?

Considering he bought 15 of them off of Wally; I'd hope so!

Orcone was a good dude.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#29 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,714 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:12 PM

Oh ... forgot about this, I lost my money on bitcoins, new hobby is servicing my girlfriends car :)

MY CURRENT SIGNATURE

#30 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:37 AM

Btc seems to have stabilised around 17000 us for now

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#31 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

Btc seems to have stabilised around 17000 us for now

the ride isn't over at all

but when a roller coaster falls off the rails, it's always ugly

there's lots of money to be potentially made; my biggest beef with bitcoin is that the inherent value of the commodity is thin air, and delusions of investment can't disguise the fact that it's all just speculation on an artificial thing of no substance

so ultimately it's a ponzi scheme like investment real estate, only the buyers won't even have a very expensive (to them) worthless house to live in when things drop

i know, the theory is that the price will rise forever and it's here to stay and yada yada, but the current mania is entirely unsustainable, and the "correction" will happen recurrently before people see their mistake

the fact that it is now trading as futures just accelerates the whole likelihood of "professionals" manipulating and then harvesting the hopefuls who are gormless

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#32 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

my biggest beef with bitcoin is that the inherent value of the commodity is thin air, and delusions of investment can't disguise the fact that it's all just speculation on an artificial thing of no substance

thing is, the world has operated just fine at both ends of the spectrum for a long time.

paper money is tangible, but also potentially of 'no substance' if people cease to believe in its virtual value. gold, less so, but the same applies. while real estate, of course, tends towards actual inherent value.

a consensus of belief in the sanctity of the blockchain is only a tiny step beyond believing in the authenticity of a watermark on a printed image of (usually) a dead white guy. and the underpinning technology is in many ways more robust.

the bottom may yet drop out of bitcoin, but its hard to imagine a future without cryptocurrency.
no pung intended

#33 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

my biggest beef with bitcoin is that the inherent value of the commodity is thin air, and delusions of investment can't disguise the fact that it's all just speculation on an artificial thing of no substance

the bottom may yet drop out of bitcoin, but its hard to imagine a future without cryptocurrency.

Yep. Something else will arrive to replace the bitcoin.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#34 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:16 PM

Bitcoin just hit 26000 australian

#35 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:28 AM

Ok back to 25000 ...

#36 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:08 AM

look at the spot price graphs for the last year, and tell me it's sustainable growth

to me it looks like the mother of all bubbles

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#37 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

I think it's a new era, people want to move away from fiat currencies.

For some reason some think the $US is backed by gold, which is not the case since the Gold standard was dropped.

Edited by Jeruselem, 18 December 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#38 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Your currency is a worthless POS that no one wants to use, what can you trade instead? Bitcoin

https://www.business...-mugabe-2017-11

#39 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

For some reason some think the $US is backed by gold, which is not the case since the Gold standard was dropped.

You would be amazed at the number of people who still think there is $2 worth of gold in a $2 coin.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#40 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,668 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 04:46 PM

The only general circulation decimal coins ever worth face value or more than would be the round 50c and the old 1 and 2.  These days the 5 is probably getting close.

50c had about 1/3rd of an ounce of silver in it, so scrap value now would be about 7 bucks.  Actual value of the cirulated coins not much more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users