• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

This thread desperately needs some input from Director.

I reckon it would add to the variety of views here.

http://www.abc.net.a...cy-hack/9368056

"One of Japan's largest digital currency exchanges has lost hundreds of millions of dollars worth of virtual money after hackers broke into its network.

... What is NEM?

It's a cryptocurrency, just like bitcoin or ethereum.

According to The Verge, it's the eighth largest cryptocurrency in the world by volume.

At the moment, Coincheck says the theft has been limited to NEM, but after announcing the theft it restricted dealings in most other cryptocurrencies too..."

I won't pretend I understand NEM any more than I do Bitcoin, but I don't see them being any or much safer than the currency or banks I grew up with. Honestly, just all seems like a new way to get scammed is all.

And as I don't have enough money to be bored by traditional scammers trying it on with my limited resources now. I think I won't be all that involved with cryptocurrencies, hopefully.

That ABC article left out one detail. CoinCheck left the NEM in low security wallets. For some reason the mainstream press left this out their reporting.

https://cointelegrap...m-team-confirms

As Cointelegraph reported on January 26, $534 million worth of XEM were stolen from low security hot wallet that lacked multi-signature security measures. During a press conference covered by Cointelegraph, Coincheck executives stated that all of the funds were stored in a hot wallet or an online wallet, which left user funds vulnerable to the security breach.

and

“Hack update: NEM is creating an automated tagging system that will be ready in 24-48 hours. This automated system will follow the money and tag any account that receives tainted money. NEM has already shown exchanges how to check if an account has been tagged. So the good news is that the money that was hacked via exchanges can't leave,” said a NEM spokesperson.

It's a wild world in the web.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#122 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,453 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Note CoinCheck admitted the breach very soon after the event, if it was a bank ...it would be covered up and hope no one noticed.

Edited by Jeruselem, 28 January 2018 - 04:48 PM.

DOWN DOWN, the Dow Jones is DOWN.

DOWN DOWN, the ASX is DOWN.

#123 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,998 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

But also a bank has insurance for these types of events.

Good luck getting your electronic DunningKrugerRands insured!
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#124 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

Real estate, not going to argue
But at least you own something

That's a good point

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users