Photo

Gigabyte Sabre Upgrading - M.2 imaging tools?

Sabre M2 imaging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mykl_c

mykl_c

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Brainstrust, I'm upgrading the M2 and HDD in a new Sbare 17-k for a friend and need some advice on cloning the M2 drive. It's the boot drive and has the recovery partition etc. I have no way of connecting both M2 drives simultaneously.

Is/are there any reliable tools for imaging drives, preferably free? I think I'm going to need to create an image, swap in the new unit and restore the image from an alternative boot source. Vaguely recall doing this with linux tool cds, but it has been a long time and I guess the install will be from a linux USB?

Help me, atomic-wan!

ISAIAH 58:8 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—when you see the naked, to clothe him,and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Clone the original drive to an external usb drive as an image using a bootable USB or DVD. Swap the drives and restore the image to new drive.

The imaging software must be ssd aware. I dont deal with linux systems but most imaging bootables would be linux or windows pe.

Edited by Jeruselem, 30 November 2017 - 07:20 PM.

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

I got an adaptor for M.2 drives to Sata for that sort of situation for $4.50 but that's eBay and a bit of a wait.  Stores might have them but not a common item and cost might be 5 times that.

Intermediate drive is probably the best idea if you can't get an adaptor.  SSD awareness for imaging software should be a non issue, doing a dump/restore is the same thing for both types.

I've recently used AOEMI Backup free, though have found that often you'll get a drive that won't boot properly, to fix that is a simple case of issuing the BOOTREC /FIXMBR for the drive.

#4 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Anythin' Rybags don't know 'bout fixin' computers.. ain't worth knowin'

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

I mentioned the ssd aware thing because older cloning software might not have the drivers to handle ssd drives.

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:49 AM

So long as one drive is forever Samsung, the Samsung data migration tool is the bees knees.

M.2 to External Drive.

External drive to M.2

Or, if you think it's something you'd like to do in the future,

https://www.startech...re~SM2NGFFMBU33

Grab something like that. I'm sure there's some great chinese clones on Ebay.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:58 PM

If you think the issues you're facing is specific to the Gigabyte Sabre, please message us here:

https://www.facebook.com/AorusANZ/

I can forward you to the appropriate expert :)

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users