• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

I have an Android tablet - nVidia Shield K1 running Nougat 7.0 (yes, nVidia can't be bothered giving me 7.1.1).

It pretty much sits around nothing all day at home.

When I was running Marshmellow 6.0, the wifi would dropout once a week and required a full reboot to get it working again.

So it seems it's an issue in Android, but with 7.0 I have a reboot once every few days.

Anyone got any ideas (no I don't want to install LinearOS at the moment)

PS my router is this one

https://www.iinet.ne.../?section=specs

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Check router settings, make sure there's not a lease time that might inadvertantly kick clients off.

Other than that, the obvious is to do searches as if it's a known issue there'd be plenty complaining about it.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:47 PM

This glitch is not fixed by enabling and re-enabling wifi either.

You have to sodding reboot the tablet.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

There's usually multiple ways to toggle wifi (like power-bar widgets etc) though I suspect it won't help.

Probably some nice bug in the OS.  Seems par for the course with Android that whenever they update it, something gets broken.

Maybe relevant, maybe not.  Apparently the wifi antenna location was poorly thought out https://forum.xda-de...signal-t3724565

But really, anything wrong with a popular device should be known on XDA https://forum.xda-de...m/shield-tablet

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

I'm in the room next door the router so the crap antennae isn't an issue, it's always above 3 bars.

And it completely drops out too, it will not reconnect whatever I do - it will not see the that wifi router at all.

I suspect the power saving feature shuts down the wifi by accident.

Edited by Jeruselem, 09 January 2018 - 08:14 PM.

#6 strifus

strifus

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Funny, I am running 7.1.1 and have run 7 to 7.1 and I have never experienced the dropouts that you mention.  However, in my experience, I have seen separate Android devices (different brands and different devices) work completely differently.  So, my opinion is that is, at least in this situation, that how the devices deal with wifi or connections, is a function of the manufacture's design paradigm rather than an error or flaw on the part of the AndriodOS.  I could be wrong though.

Intel Core i7 3930K, Gigabyte x79-UD5, 16GB Corsair Vengence RAM, Gainward 1070GTX, 256GB Samsung 850 EVO, 3 x 1TB Hitachi HDD, LG BD-DVD Optical Drive, Corsair TX 750 PSU, CoolerMaster Hyper 412s HSF, CoolerMaster Cosmos II Tower.

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

Funny, I am running 7.1.1 and have run 7 to 7.1 and I have never experienced the dropouts that you mention.  However, in my experience, I have seen separate Android devices (different brands and different devices) work completely differently.  So, my opinion is that is, at least in this situation, that how the devices deal with wifi or connections, is a function of the manufacture's design paradigm rather than an error or flaw on the part of the AndriodOS.  I could be wrong though.

True but with Android 6 it took a week - Android 7 takes a few days. Didn't have a major issue with Android 5 oddly.

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

I suppose these are official updates and not dodgy user created flashes?

Don't you turn off wifi when you put the thing in standby?  I do, generally if you leave such things turned on it'll use way more power.

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

I leave it running with wifi enabled and charge it up once in a while

Mainly because I get six hundred zillion app updates!

I used to turn it off but then I get hit with wall of app update notifications when I started the tablet.

Edited by Jeruselem, 10 January 2018 - 06:02 AM.

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Does android 7.0 still have the Developer Option to use the "old" DHCP client?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#11 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

I've enabled Dev options on, because I am a dev like that LOL

I'll have a look under dev options.when I get home

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

I've enabled Dev options on, because I am a dev like that LOL

I'll have a look under dev options.when I get home

you're looking for this guy:

Use legacy DHCP client:

this function allows to use the DHCP client from Lollipop instead of the new Android DHCP client.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 10 January 2018 - 01:09 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#13 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, apparently that disappeared in 7.1.2 but I'm running 7.0

#14 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:03 AM

Nope that option got nerfed in 7.0 too.

I won't get Android O BTW so the cyanogen/LinearageOS route is only one left

Edited by Jeruselem, 11 January 2018 - 09:01 AM.

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

There's no down side to Cyanogen at least

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

I guess I could use another router ...

#17 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Why would that help?  I thought the problem was supposed to be at the tablet's end.

#18 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Why would that help?  I thought the problem was supposed to be at the tablet's end.

Well maybe a better router with smarter DHCP might help. Saying that, it works pretty good with everything else in the house including my Android 7 TV device.

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Well maybe a better router with smarter DHCP might help. Saying that, it works pretty good with everything else in the house including my Android 7 TV device.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but why not just roll back to the Marshmallow Official from?

#20 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Sorry to ask the obvious, but why not just roll back to the Marshmallow Official from?

Well yes, if I could download that from nVidia but I've never found that unless you know where to get it.

Android M was pretty nice.

OK I found it

https://mavicpilots....0-android.9508/

BUT the Marshmellow release doesn't have the KRACK patch like Nougat one does, I guess I'm stuck.

Edited by Jeruselem, 11 January 2018 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users