• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:00 AM

The NBN's coming to my street soon and I'd like to get some idea who the best providers are - not so much in terms of bang for your buck (I can survey that landscape pretty well myself), but in terms of customer service quality.

See, I realize that most of the faults with the NBN are NBNCo's responsibility, so in that regard, the choice of provider is somewhat arbitrary, seeing as how the hardware leading into my house is the same either way. But say I do have problems, which providers have the customer service depts. that are easiest to get along with and get results the fastest?

Are there any companies I should avoid like the plague?

Appreciate the community's thoughts on this one...

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

Avoid Telstra like the bubonic plague!

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#3 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:55 AM

I went with iiNet purely because of their customer service.  They are about the same pricewise as most of the others but they have been great as far as service goes.  Switched from Telstra after some appalling customer service issues there.

Can recommend iiNet. :)

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

Just be aware TPG and iiNet are pretty much the same company now.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

Owned by, but offer much different things, IIRC.

Since iiNet got Internode, their AGILE network for direct routing IIRC is uses exclusively by Internode and iiNet customers.

Meanwhile TPG still run their giant proxy, to my knowledge.

To most geeks, this is horrid, because we want "LIVE" internet, not Internet from a few minutes ago; however to the casual end user, this is GREAT because NBN slowdowns are MUCH less significant.

This is fairly old knowledge from the days when the merger first happened, so don't take the above as gospel.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

I'm with iiNet so I don't get that proxy I guess. Geez I don't a want to use a proxy for my crypto trading.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

I'm with iiNet so I don't get that proxy I guess. Geez I don't a want to use a proxy for my crypto trading.

I imagine that'd be HTTPS which isn't cached. Only the insecure elements, like pictures would be in the TPG proxy; assuming its still active :)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,403 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Yeah uh I've had pretty awful customer service from iinet since they were bought out.  I'd say I had better followup on issues when I was on Telstra, years ago.

Also, while some issues with the NBN are the responsibility of NBNCo, a lot of other issues that aren't related to the physical connectivity layer are very much on the RSP's doorstep, as far as congestion and how much bandwidth they're paying for to your POP, and overseas links.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

If I had to pick someone, it'd be EXETEL.

They're cheap, but more importantly they're HONEST.

I was with them for years in ADSL2+ days.

I liked that they told you outright, "Our call center is in Sri Lanka, here's a photo of our staff, by name, so you know who you're talking to"

and all their support staff are Network Engineer qualified, which is nice.

Or at least, was 2 years ago.

I once called up, and My first sentence was literally;

"Hi, I have two questions, I'm seeing terrible latency to Asia Pacific servers, and my line speed seems to be woeful compared to my achievable SNR. Do you have an Alternate route you could apply to Asia Pacific? Also, can you lock my ADSL down to 9db SNR so I can do quality tweaking from my Billion Routers end?"

"Of course sir, one moment......... OK I have a custom route in place that should help, and your expected SNR has been adjusted, anything else?"

"UH...... no.... thank you!"

Never had a better ISP honestly.

Their billing is a little 'sketchy' in that they have a hard time reversing accidental 'double bills' when you FIRST sign up, but minor quibble really IMO.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 18 January 2018 - 09:53 AM.

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

I imagine that'd be HTTPS which isn't cached. Only the insecure elements, like pictures would be in the TPG proxy; assuming its still active :)

I hate proxies anyway.

#11 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:43 AM

TPG is a no-go for me, because apparently they don't do Fiber To The Curb, which I'm slated for. A quick glance over the iiNet page gives me the impression that their the same...

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:46 AM

Internode is another one to look at.

#13 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,403 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Don't forget Westnet and Netspace and AAPT and TransACT and Adam Internet and all the other companies that are owned by TPG.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

Don't forget Westnet and Netspace and AAPT and TransACT and Adam Internet and all the other companies that are owned by TPG.

Wait, ADAM got bought up?

and aapt?!?!

OK, that's actually huge.

In the CBD, there are significant places where AAPT owned more of the physical copper (or at least, DSLAMS and interconnects that make it work :P) than Telstra did!

#15 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,403 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

That's why they bought AAPT.  Their infrastructure, not their retail customers.

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

Damn I forgot about that

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

Just making me say Exetel more and more :P

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

You're right that the CVC/AVC price structure is still hurting the NBN for small players, you're going to have a nicer time (especially during evenings) with larger ISPs like iiNet, Internode, and AAPT for the time being.

They restructured the pricing in December, but the feeling I get from talking to people is that this hasn't trickled down yet.

Also look at MyRepublic. They're a large player from Singapore, and have a cheaper price tier if you're OK with being behind carrier NAT (reduces the number of IPs they have to pay for). The customer service is pretty barebones though, so might not be what you're after.

Edited by SquallStrife, 19 January 2018 - 03:55 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#19 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,006 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

There's dodo but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole either

#20 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

You're right that the CVC/AVC price structure is still hurting the NBN for small players, you're going to have a nicer time (especially during evenings) with larger ISPs like iiNet, Internode, and AAPT for the time being.

They restructured the pricing in December, but the feeling I get from talking to people is that this hasn't trickled down yet.

Also look at MyRepublic. They're a large player from Singapore, and have a cheaper price tier if you're OK with being behind carrier NAT (reduces the number of IPs they have to pay for). The customer service is pretty barebones though, so might not be what you're after.

I haven't looked into it; but does Carrier NAT add some security through obscurity?

And does that mean having NAT on your home router would then put you in a Double NAT environment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users