48 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

So I probably have Laryngitis.

I have an ENT referral because it's an 'odd case'.

No hoarseness, none at all, but all the pain really only flares up when speaking.

Swallowing is "odd" but not hard. I think it's because my body EXPECTS pain.

Been ongoing for about 2 months now :(

Seen a GP 3 times; each time;

"Throat looks normal, other than a couple of small lumps that are usual with a sore throat".

Since I don't smoke or drink, chances of "Other" issues is unlikely, but I wish it would just go away :(

Though my GP did point something out.

"How many days have you been silent?"

"Err.... none, it's not THAT painful, its like Ive been at a party all night, combined with the weakest ever case of tonsilitis"

"Well, if you sprain an ankle it wont heal if you run on it. If your voice is sore, it wont heal if you keep speaking"

So here I am, on the tail end of 48hours silence.

Anyone who's met me, would know this is HELL. lol.

It's a BBQ night with mates tonight. And I won't be missing it, but I also will be sitting there in silence....

The horror.

If it's not gone by Monday, I'll break my silence and book that ENT. That'll mark 10 weeks, and it's just getting frustrating.

Bodies are stupid.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

Once you get used to remaining silent, it can be very restful. 'Course, sometimes you really just want to uell in someone's ear, and that's frustrating as hell. :)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#3 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Bodies aren't stupid.

In fact on the whole I'd say they're pretty bloody resilient given some of the shit the brain / mind puts them through ... that is not in reference to your post particularly  Master_Scythe, it's just using your quote and running with it in reference to

what I view most days around me IRL.

Also, keeping your mouth closed for extended periods of time is an easy form of meditation too. It's quite calming. Watch out for the charcoal at the BBQ .

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

Have they done anything to check for neurological/viral implications?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

Have they done anything to check for neurological/viral implications?

Nope, they said a flu can last 6 weeks alone, and then its not uncommon to have the virus take harbor in the voice box, meaning a 12 week recovery.

It sucks, but apparently this is normal.

First time i've ever had a flu or anything.

I mean, I haven't even had a cold I can remember since I was in highschool more than 13 years ago, so it's all news to me

I got a referral to an ENT "If Im really worried" but so far it's just the roof of my mouth is a little swolen, my throat is sore without any visible problems. And talking hurts.

They tested for Glandular Fever, which apparently ive had in the past, but don't have now.

Also negative test for Mono.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 January 2018 - 03:36 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

So considering I don't smoke or drink, I think I'm going to keep waiting this out.

$200 for a consult, and +$300 if they need to use a throat camera (GP thinks they certainly will).

So $500 for a diagnosis? I can go public, but it's a 9 month wait.

Time to keep phoning around! Perhaps there is someone cheaper.

#7 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

fyi :  glandular fever "is" mono(nucleosis)

the test for glandular fever would be antibodies - positive IgG means your body has reacted to it at some stage, a negativity IgM suggests that was no time recently

depending on your enthusiasm, book for the public clinic and by 9 months on you'll be keen for a scope  :)

as an aside, if you can tolerate anti-inflammatories, using them (on top of food preferably) for a few days may interfere with inflammation, and you will be magically cured

the story suggests to me that one of the muscles in your larynx has been sprained, or injured

sorry, that's all you get without a formal personal review   :(

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

sorry, that's all you get without a formal personal review   :(

I always forget we have a Scruffy in the house :)

TY very much.

It certainly feels like that. So long as it's not cancer, I'm happy, lol.

Yeah I can tolerate everything. I hardly even have pain, just 'enough' to know i'm not right.

But they don't seem to do anything.

If you're feeling help-y, I have one thing I'd love to ask you, because I need 'out of the box' ideas on another medical thing...

My usual GP is $70 a visit, and out of ideas :P

I just didnt want to be 'that guy' and start PMing you randomly. lol

Edited by Master_Scythe, 22 January 2018 - 05:35 PM.

#9 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

ummm stating the obvious here, but just because you don't do alcohol or ciggies doesn't mean you be in the clear of anything really. Yes I know it's a really pessimistic thing to say, but for someone who ponders whether to buy a house ( see 'nother thread ) $70.00 to sit and chat about your health seems cheap to me ... and I'm not being narky for the sake of it. It's your life M_S that is the topic here.

atomic has π

#10 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

throw me a pm and i'll see how benevolent i feel  :)

standard consult where i am is $80, so don't complain if you get it for $70

and yeah, could be cancer, but hoarseness without pain would make me more paranoid

odynophonia (the impressive medical term that means "pain on making noise") would seem to be related to muscle issue locally

dr google says it is : "hoarseness related to glottal insufficiency. Odynophonia is a less common manifestation of glottal insufficiency related to vocal fold motion impairment" and they are offering surgery.... egad ! 2nd opinion, please

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#11 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:07 AM

I don't talk much.
It's amazing how much humans chatter when they know someone is listening.
😀

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

throw me a pm and i'll see how benevolent i feel  :)

standard consult where i am is $80, so don't complain if you get it for $70

Done and done.

Catch I think is, is that the clinic that my Doctor is at, are Nazis.

10 minute consult, and if it goes 1 minute over, you're paying triple for an un-booked "Long appointment".

Even he verbally admits he dislikes the clinics practices, but its close to home, and has very good facilities (which it does).

I wouldn't mind paying $70 if I could sit for half an hour and work through things, but no....

Local public clinic is better!

#13 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

Thread title sounds like a bad John Farnham song name.

Got bulk billing places?   Though generally here that means McDonald's style walk in service and random quack with NFI of your history.

#14 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

billing is a strange animal

dare i say my shop has a very different view of what a "consult" means

generally that's the time it takes to solve a problem, or make a plan to progress the solving of a problem

expecting things to happen in 10 minutes is sometimes longer than it takes (rarely); i can barely do simple things in under 15 minutes, although in my defence i'm never quite satisfied with doing what the patient wants, and much more inclined to explain to them what they actually need to have happen

edit :  it helps that many of my patients have been known to me for over a decade, several for over 20 years, and in some families i'm already into 3 generations of the clan, so a great deal of their back story is a given (and i have a ridiculous memory for detail)

they might be paying customers, but i have a long and intimate personal relationship with them like extended family, and quite reasonably see myself as a farmer of people, in a positive and respectful way

Edited by scruffy1, 23 January 2018 - 10:16 PM.

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

And what you've just explained is why the ER is so overcrowded with little problems.

There is nowhere (read: very very few places) you can go and be treated with professionalism and care, and NOT feel like you're rushed out the door, OTHER than ER.

In other news;

my throat is significantly improved, but in return my sinuses are heavy and painful, but with no nose issues.

Neck is also stiff, and I had a night (2 nights ago) where I woke up confused; however it was over 40*C in my room.....

Clinic told me to watch for meningitis; but there's not enough symptoms there yet to be worried.

And to phone 000 if I wake up not knowing where I am again.

STUPID BODY!

.......Im going out for Ramen.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 26 January 2018 - 06:49 PM.

#16 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

outpatients isn't e.r.

opd book people for review of significant but not rapidly fatal shiz.... which describes your situation

it may need to be done via e.r, if the system still does that, especially in qld which has a public health system renowned for being pretty fucked up (per the people i know who are obliged to sometimes refer to it)

the throat and nose sound like they will do okay with "watchful waiting"; the rest sound like a senior review will maybe offer some diagnosis and potential further management plan

enjoy the noodles :)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#17 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

I seem to recall many moons ago now you said that the costs of feeding yourself from home opposed to dining out /takeaway was in favour of the latter cost wise. Me thinks it's time to review you previous decision perhaps.

Vegies  and any fresh food cooked by you is better. No need whatsoever for it be fancy. In fact, imo, the plainer the better.

atomic has π

#18 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

I've been on and off a HCC over the last decade.  My then-local (currnetly not-so-local at a 35 min drive away) GP clinic have always been happy to just bulk bill me, and only occasionally remember to ask for updated HCC info.  Excellent service and professional cover.  Never been rushed, tho' if I think it's something significant I'll sometimes make a double appointment to not fuck over patients waiting after me.

Maybe you just have shit doctors/luck, MS :p

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

I seem to recall many moons ago now you said that the costs of feeding yourself from home opposed to dining out /takeaway was in favour of the latter cost wise. Me thinks it's time to review you previous decision perhaps.

Vegies  and any fresh food cooked by you is better. No need whatsoever for it be fancy. In fact, imo, the plainer the better.

No, that's still the case.

And trust me, a chef\meal companies etc, does a much better job than I do of making sure I eat veggies :P

#20 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,869 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

No, that's still the case.

And trust me, a chef\meal companies etc, does a much better job than I do of making sure I eat veggies :P

I don't need to trust you per say, you need to trust that random chef/meal companies etc. are the right fit for your body. :) ... What I say stems from how I feel about always 'eating out', and I'm not you.

atomic has π

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users