• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

I seem to recall many moons ago now you said that the costs of feeding yourself from home opposed to dining out /takeaway was in favour of the latter cost wise. Me thinks it's time to review you previous decision perhaps.

Vegies  and any fresh food cooked by you is better. No need whatsoever for it be fancy. In fact, imo, the plainer the better.

No, that's still the case.

And trust me, a chef\meal companies etc, does a much better job than I do of making sure I eat veggies :P

I don't need to trust you per say, you need to trust that random chef/meal companies etc. are the right fit for your body. :) ... What I say stems from how I feel about always 'eating out', and I'm not you.

Yeah, at home it tends to be microwavable foods (as I own a microwave), and if I'm going to have vegetables it's almost exclusively onions.

Where as at least when the local chef does a meal (I eat almost exclusively asian) the stirfrys have a 'rainbow' in them. There's charcoal vegetables, Miso (and we all know how good that is for ya!), always eggs involved somehow, etc etc.

Because I only would choose onions and chicken, eating at home would result in a very bad diet :P

Anyway, besides super low cholesterol, my bloods came back, to quote "perfect".

Edited by Master_Scythe, 30 January 2018 - 08:37 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Yeah, at home it tends to be microwaveable foods (as I own a microwave)

i am glad you added the part in brackets! because otherwise i'd be imagining you warming them up by sunlight and then chowing down on them no-hands like a dog.

so i guess you microwave them first, and then chow down on them no-hands like a dog?

(you didnt mention that you own cutlery) :P
no pung intended

#23 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

...if I'm going to have vegetables it's almost exclusively onions.

jaysus, dude. onions aint nearly enough. the old-school pop wisdom is true — at the very least, you need your greens!

i dont know what "charcoal vegetables" is. the asian-style meals are probably good, but relying on restaurant meals for nutrition has 'bad idea' written all over it.

you should aim for a wide variety in your sources of micronutrients. long-term insufficiencies can be doing you damage long before they show up in any blood test, if at all.

Edited by @~thehung, 30 January 2018 - 01:37 PM.

no pung intended

#24 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

...if I'm going to have vegetables it's almost exclusively onions.

jaysus, dude. onions aint nearly enough. the old-school pop wisdom is true — at the very least, you need your greens!

i dont know what "charcoal vegetables" is. the asian-style meals are probably good, but relying on restaurant meals for nutrition has 'bad idea' written all over it.

you should aim for a wide variety in your sources of micronutrients. long-term insufficiencies can be doing you damage long before they show up in any blood test, if at all.

Exactly;

which is why I choose to eat out rather than at home.

It's just too hard without a proper kitchen.

I'd need at least a stove or an oven I recon.

Charcoal vegetables are basically a salad bar you can throw on a grill, kind of like Korean Barbecue.

Hides everything behind burnt coal flavour :)

By eat out i'm not going to 'fast food', I live very near a very 'foody' area, I can get fresh everything for less than $10 a meal.

As for micro-nutrients, if we can't measure them in our bodies, than we can't be sure if anyone has enough\too much.

If yanks can literally live (well, not die) on Maccas and KFC, I'm sure that the fresh veggies and meats found in asian bbq, stirfry, and Bento will keep me going.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 31 January 2018 - 03:37 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#25 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Mixed frozen veg. Bowl.  Little bit of water. Clingwrap.  Microwave. 

Easy.

Yanks get it easier because most of their foods are fortified with vitamins.

If you're eating so awfully, I hope you're taking a multivitamin or something to try and cover the gaps.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#26 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

Mixed frozen veg. Bowl.  Little bit of water. Clingwrap.  Microwave.

Easy.

Yeah, but then what am I supposed to do with it?

The smell of them is enough to make me gag, and last time I tried forcing myself I just throw them up again.

Stirfry is my best bet;

I usually get a full capsicum, a chilli, a full carrot or two, 2 onions, 1 cup mushrooms, Brocolli, cashews, and Black Rice.

Then I can hide them all behind SoySauce as it cooks.

If I have ONE bad intake, it'll be salt, like my god, thats a lot of salt. (lol)

If you're eating so awfully

I've just been through this, I'm not.

Well, compared to everyone I personally know, I'm not.

I'm not a saint, I will eat a burger, but it's only ever one prepared by a cook, with all the salads.

Gettaburger is a good example (and thats rare, 3 or 4 times a year I'd say).

Edited by Master_Scythe, 31 January 2018 - 03:33 PM.

#27 merlin13

merlin13

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

...Yanks get it easier because most of their foods are fortified with vitamins...

Processed Sugar is a vitamin??

Anything not nailed down is mine, and anything I can prise up is not nailed down...

#28 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

Their bread is full of sugar, but it's also fortified with other stuff our bread typically isn't.

You say you're not eating awfully because you're eating stuff carefully prepared by chefs.  Sorry to break it to you, but the reasons lots of chefs are overweight is because they only have time to eat at work.  The fact you're boasting about hitting your macro goals and ignoring micros is pretty key, there.  Unless you're eating out mostly on airlines or in hospitals, whoever is making that food isn't making it to hit all of your nutritional and dietary goals.

Like, I hate the taste of tuna, and cooked mix stirfry veg, rice or noodles, and tinned tuna is something I've eaten a hell of a lot of, just to cove my bases when I can't afford to eat properly.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#29 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Oh well, guess I'll die.

#30 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,386 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Guess so.  Dibs on your stuff.

#31 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,854 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:17 PM

I seem to recall many moons ago now you said that the costs of feeding yourself from home opposed to dining out /takeaway was in favour of the latter cost wise. Me thinks it's time to review you previous decision perhaps.

Vegies  and any fresh food cooked by you is better. No need whatsoever for it be fancy. In fact, imo, the plainer the better.

No, that's still the case.

And trust me, a chef\meal companies etc, does a much better job than I do of making sure I eat veggies :P

I don't need to trust you per say, you need to trust that random chef/meal companies etc. are the right fit for your body. :) ... What I say stems from how I feel about always 'eating out', and I'm not you.

Yeah, at home it tends to be microwavable foods (as I own a microwave), and if I'm going to have vegetables it's almost exclusively onions.

Where as at least when the local chef does a meal (I eat almost exclusively asian) the stirfrys have a 'rainbow' in them. There's charcoal vegetables, Miso (and we all know how good that is for ya!), always eggs involved somehow, etc etc.

Because I only would choose onions and chicken, eating at home would result in a very bad diet :P

Anyway, besides super low cholesterol, my bloods came back, to quote "perfect".

Yeah I know about your food preferences from other threads. o_O ... Your choice of food does not interest me, you're an adult.

It would be a mighty frustrating relationship to be your doctor. You have no real proof of even what brand of Soy sauce is used at any given time; what type of oil; what brand of seasonings/ herbs nothing. Nor can you tell the Doc. what cleaning products were used to clean the utensils that cooked the meal you were served with. Nor even if the cleaning was properly done; or whether anyone involved with producing the meal/s you're served was ill in anyway . Need I  go on ? Not being a Doc. yourself, you cannot know what might be causing your throat irritation.

It might even be something the tables you sit at to eat your Soy foods, is cleaned with something offensive to your particular system ... which is one of the reasons why I choose to eat at home more than out. I know what my dirt consists of and what I use to clean it with.:P

Oh well, guess I'll die.

Well yes of course you will, as will we all Nich especially :) however, I reckon, if we were talking about your autos or computer related stuffs I'm not sure you would be quite so blasé . And the fact of this thread's existence leads me to believe you not be quite ready to die just yet .

Edited by eveln, 30 January 2018 - 07:19 PM.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#32 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

As for micro-nutrients, if we can't measure them in our bodies, than we can't be sure if anyone has enough\too much; so im not going to start trying to log that too.

i dont measure my vitamin c levels — who does/would/could?  but when my gums start to recede, i know ive gone too far. (yes, in the past it has happened lol). so i make sure i eat a lot of broccoli, and occasional fruit.

that happens to be a fairly unambiguous short term feedback cycle.  but many other kinds of damage are far subtler and wrought on the body over months and years. 

the point is, preventative maintenance through sensible dietary choices is mostly a no brainer.  theres no need to log anything, or turn it into rocket surgery.

Mixed frozen veg. Bowl. Little bit of water. Clingwrap. Microwave.
Easy.

Yeah, but then what am I supposed to do with it?
The smell of them is enough to make me gag, and last time I tried forcing myself I just throw them up again.

hating all vegies? are you, like, 5? :P  or, just Scottish perhaps?

btw, one thing that is nice with steamed veggies is basil or sundried tomato pesto. or any number of bold sauces... the options are endless.

Stirfry is my best bet;
I usually get a full capsicum, a chilli, a full carrot or two, 2 onions, 1 cup mushrooms, Brocolli, cashews, and Black Rice.

there ya go. nothing wrong with that.

chuck in a variety of dead animal here and there. the odd piece of fruit, and some salad.

no pung intended

#33 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

It would be a mighty frustrating relationship to be your doctor.

He's a doctor;

You see him for like 10 minutes every 2 years or so.

I don't think many people have a 'relationship' with them, lol

Clearly there are exceptions (and thanks, you know who you are :D) But that's unicorn rare!

You have no real proof of even what brand of Soy sauce is used at any given time; what type of oil; what brand of seasonings/ herbs nothing. Nor can you tell the Doc. what cleaning products were used to clean the utensils that cooked the meal you were served with. Nor even if the cleaning was properly done; or whether anyone involved with producing the meal/s you're served was ill in anyway . Need I  go on ? Not being a Doc. yourself, you cannot know what might be causing your throat irritation.

It might even be something the tables you sit at to eat your Soy foods, is cleaned with something offensive to your particular system ... which is one of the reasons why I choose to eat at home more than out. I know what my dirt consists of and what I use to clean it with.:P

Yeah, but be realistic!

Most people aren't going to know that :P

Unless you're a stereotype 'housekeeper', you just buy whatever is the best $/kg and move on.

My oil says 'Oil' on it, I bought it a few years ago.

I use liquid soap to clean my utensils, it's green...

I remember it was 0.70c at the outlet store about 3 years ago? It does cool things under UV light, if that helps?

I don't own a table.

As for if anyone was sick while preparing?

That's the same level of paranoia as walking past people in a mall without a face mask, and even I'm not that bad!

Well yes of course you will, as will we all Nich especially :) however, I reckon, if we were talking about your autos or computer related stuffs I'm not sure you would be quite so blasé . And the fact of this thread's existence leads me to believe you not be quite ready to die just yet .

Of course not!

As is my favorite personal quote "People heal, cars don't" (often said while treating wounds next to a now running car).

And no, I'm not ready to die, but I'm ready to give up.

As the saying goes; "I just need a win".

#34 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

i dont measure my vitamin c levels — who does/would/could? 

*snip*

Theres no need to log anything, or turn it into rocket surgery

I mean, there's no way I know how much is being absorbed;

But I know how much goes into my body daily.

It's on the nutrition panels on foods I eat, and VitaminC is one of those things I do take in a tablet.

Once you write it into an app once, it just counts all that shit for ya :D

If you're not going to log it, how can you know if you're accurate or not?

I always have my phone with me while I'm out.

hating all vegies? are you, like, 5? :P  or, just Scottish perhaps?

Yep, hate them all.

Actually Potatoes\Sweet Potato, are OK, Onions are OK.

btw, one thing that is nice with steamed veggies is basil or sundried tomato pesto. or any number of bold sauces... the options are endless.

People greater than you have tried :P

The problem comes when you bite into them, they still have their own flavour.

If you know something that will erase that, I'm all ears!

#35 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

If you're not going to log it, how can you know if you're accurate or not?

curiously, the answer is right there in the part you snipped out. preventative maintenance through sensible dietary choices is mostly a no brainer.

you eat enough variety of good foods to safely get enough micronutrients and keep a healthy gut etc. the end. no brainer. no phoner.

do you get enough sunlight? do you wear a bluetooth enabled light meter that feeds your phone real time data, and alerts you if you need 93 seconds more one day? if not, then you should probably stay inside all the time and risk a vitamin D deficiency, because its just not worth going outside and easily getting enough without good data.  or maybe, getting safely between too much and too little is a natural consequence of non-morbid habits.  same goes for diet.

no pung intended

#36 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Do you get enough sunlight? do you wear a bluetooth enabled light meter that feeds your phone real time data, and alerts you if you need 93 seconds more one day? if not, then you should probably stay inside all the time and risk a vitamin D deficiency, because its just not worth going outside and easily getting enough without good data.  or maybe, getting safely between too much and too little is a natural consequence of non-morbid habits.  same goes for diet.

I used to use a Microsoft Band 2 to measure that, but it wasn't accurate to the second, no.

However, Vitamin D levels are something that shows up on bloodwork.

But, I agree with your first half;

I'm not going to go and sunbake just in case my Vitamin D is low.

I'd want to know before I risk mass UV exposure.

Which is exactly my point.

I eat meals that all include some form of vegetable mixed in, be it stirfrys, tempura, curries, etc.

But without data that says "You need more Carotene by X amount" I'm not going to go and force feed myself carrots "Just In Case".

So the second that Nich\eveln can give me ANY form of data that what I'm eating isn't fulfilling my nutritional requirements.

I'm all ears!

But so far, no one, not even doctors or nutritionists have complained (as I said, minus salt).

If it can't be measured as claimed in tests, then no one really knows.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 31 January 2018 - 03:43 PM.

#37 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

Sorry to break it to you, but the reasons lots of chefs are overweight is because they only have time to eat at work.

You got me thinking...

I think that's a western stereotype, based on western diets.

I don't think I've ever seen a fat chef at traditional Japanese or Korean restaurant.

I'm going to make a specific mental note of it tonight when I go for dinner.

#38 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

it's not (just)  the food intake of western chefs that makes them fat... it's the wine they drink while working (and after working)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#39 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,386 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Of course you'd compare eating vegetables to dying of skin cancer from sunbaking <.<

#40 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,854 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

" Bodies aren't stupid "

The above was the first thing I said in this thread. You believe bodies are stupid. You believe this whilst in your young adult life you fill it (your body ) with shit that non-professionals tell you is okay cos it's legal produce ie; solid / liquid food /powders / pills etc.

You don't question any products being legally sold, and you manage to truly skimp on products you use within your living space, and have no problem breathing in any and all sorts of toxic product, cos well it's legally sold and purchased.

IMO you don't know the consistent hygienic parameters of any of the kitchens that produce the food you buy on a daily basis.

And then you wonder why you have "odd" issues with your throat just now.

And now you have some sort of expectation that I will provide proof that you should treat your body with far more respect than you appear ( to me ) to have done so far. Perhaps I think you are older than you are, excuse me.

I reckon you could spend hours surfing the net looking for answers to auto / computer stuff, but when it comes to your own body you won't spend the time to find and LISTEN to a Doctor who is a professional. ... also, what are " stims "

I am not a professional.

I reckon you should take a respite and question why you don't feel the need to feed your body better than you do. I bet the answer comes down to expenses. Shame on your thinking,

And then you have the gall to tell me I am paranoid and unrealistic  ... o_0 ffs troll much ?!

Don't you dare come back with  ... " well if the goods are legally sold then they must be okay to imbibe / use "

it's not (just)  the food intake of western chefs that makes them fat... it's the wine they drink while working (and after working)

When I worked in the industry the skinny chefs were into reasonably hard drugs, and the more solid chefs tended to be into pot and beer  and toasted sangers at the end of the night ;)

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users