6 replies to this topic

#1 sUpEr gEEk

sUpEr gEEk

Master

• Atomican
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hi all

After a Good MODEM as using the TPG white P.O.S.

NBN co is stating possible HFC connection and wondering if HFC will narrow my choices as want it future proof is spend large $$.

I am wondering if any NBN MODEM does HFC as currently have ADSL2+

Thanks

Desktop: Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770k,Asrock , 16GB RAM (2x4gb) , 1 x 250 Samsung Sata SSD, 1x 4TB WD Black,4GB AMD 290, 1X 600GB WD V-RAPTOR, Antec 1200, Corsair tx850, Samsung DvD burner, 2 x 23'4in Samsung LED, 1x 500gb Samsung sata SSD uninstalled, 1x 4TB WD Black uninstalled

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

What are they dishing out now?  Back in the day (mid 2000s) it seemed DLink was their standard offering.

Though they've supposedly lifted their game a bit their ADSL modems that I owned at least were pretty woeful.  I had a 4-port Wifi (B) job which was outperformed by probably 10% by a Belkin which in turn was outdone by Netgear.  Additional to that the earlier mentioned ones died in the arse if I had torrents going at even 30% saturation of my possible bandwidth.

Netgear is good re price vs features.  Some ISPs use them as standard though generally lower end models.

I've had a bit to do with NBN and TransACT connections around here - Netgear seems a popular offering and speed issues I've encountered have been more in the infrastructure itself rather than local issues.

A big component of the price these days is the Wifi side - you'll pay a bunch more for something that does ac vs n

#3 sUpEr gEEk

sUpEr gEEk

Master

• Atomican
  • 775 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

HEWAI or however you spell it

HUAWEI HG532d

Desktop: Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770k,Asrock , 16GB RAM (2x4gb) , 1 x 250 Samsung Sata SSD, 1x 4TB WD Black,4GB AMD 290, 1X 600GB WD V-RAPTOR, Antec 1200, Corsair tx850, Samsung DvD burner, 2 x 23'4in Samsung LED, 1x 500gb Samsung sata SSD uninstalled, 1x 4TB WD Black uninstalled

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

OK, I've not seen a lot of their network gear.  Huawei is a mixed bag, a lot of their stuff of 3+ years ago is just junk but they've lifted their game and some of their premium gear is practically as good as equivalent competitors items.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:23 AM

Most of the HUAWEI  stuff is pretty decent.

However with HFC, you're almost guaranteed stuck with whatever the ISP provides.

Your best bet is to use a modem that you like the features of, and put the modem into BRIDGE mode later on, because often there's all sorts of black magic and lock trickery they try and force.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 mickf

mickf

Learner

• Quark
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

My young bloke who is into computers has studied the modems and Netgear came up trumps.

He raves about his, but no good if you want a landline home phone as well as I found it no go. 

But most have mobile these days, except some oldies like me have both.Brilliant wifi though.

Edited by mickf, 06 February 2018 - 09:39 PM.

When someone says have a great day I know they don't mean it but when they say fuck off I know they do

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Got line filter?

I didn't want landline any more but it seems there's few options.  Not happy paying $20 a month for something that might be used once a fortnight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users