24 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

Just curious;

I recall from years gone by, the 'speed' of the internet, or more specifically, of browsers.

Remember when you'd have at least 25 "Back" steps that just INSTANTLY loaded? and if you went back too far you could FORWARD and be at the page INSTANTLY?!

Well, I'm finding these days that with the way I operate (with a billion tabs, and re-checking numbers and such) that this is annoying.

Every time I hit forward or back, thanks to the internets more active elements these days, the whole page basically reloads.

Anyway I'm rambling, you get the idea.

Is there an about:something browser setting I'm missing in firefox?

Or perhaps a decent plugin that will correct the caching and ignore more live elements.

I'm already running Disconnect, AdBlockPro and uBlock Origin; as well as have the MVPS hosts file added to my windows machine.

anything we know of?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

The move has been towards a synchronous type of 'net experience.  Some is good but some utterly shits me.

Not much a fan of predictive typing that tries to out-guess you as you type into Youtube or Google Search.  Definitely not a fan of the Stop button going away (I have an FF extension that brings it back).

Even though a page might have that bit of delay and appear to be doing nw activity it might not be necessarily.  I just tried loading another thread (last page) then selected the previous one so there'd be 2 buffered.  Then I unplugged my cable and was still able to freely use Back/Forward in the open tab to go between the two.  But yeah, it does seem that these days the rule seems to be network activity even if there's no new data to be had.

Whether anything can be done about it, I sort of doubt it.  Maybe an extra layer of caching for what that's worth, probably more bother than benefit.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

I mean, I found this:

https://chrome.googl...eefhagijjcjnbeh

If I wanted to switch across to Chrome;

I might have considered it before firefox released their QUANTUM update and just blew every other browser clean out of the water!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 05 February 2018 - 03:50 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,466 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Not sure how such a plugin would work with most pages being pretty much dynamic especially crypto currency sites.

DOWN DOWN, the Dow Jones is DOWN.

DOWN DOWN, the ASX is DOWN.

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

Doesn't look like he's done a Firefox version.

I'm still on Waterfox - I can get Quantum almost to the functionality I need, and would probably need to piss around with CSS mods to get some of the rest.

Such a PITA that so many extensions haven't been ported over yet.  I keep a laptop updated and periodically check.

Extended support I think only goes until middle of the year so can't stick to the legacy versions much longer anyway.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

Not sure how such a plugin would work with most pages being pretty much dynamic especially crypto currency sites.

I would hope it would just show me old data, unless i forced a manual refresh?

One such example would be just before, in some down time, when I visited HobbyKing.

The WHOLE PAGE reloads, to check closest warehouse, update pricing, and so on.

However, I LITERALLY hit back, and went "actually, I want to check that whole category" and hit forward, within 3 seconds.

If my data is 3 seconds old, so be it, HobbyKing is a great example of a 'live' site that takes up to 20 seconds to load a page during peak times.

The re-load took a full 10 seconds.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Long waits probably thanks to their refreshing policy... trivial transactions requesting an entire reload so it's using exponetially more resources than it needs to.

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,466 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

I noticed mobile browsers just excessively refresh compared to desktop ones.

#9 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

The big difference there though is that all workspace is RAM based and it's a scarce resource to begin with.

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,466 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Yeah true phones and tablets are RAM hobbled to begin with.

#11 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

And then we have... Google Calendar.

Bad enough that just to create an event from an ICS file I have to goto settings, click Import/Export then click again and select a file.

Then you press the back arrow to return to your calendar and the event isn't there.  You have to hit Refresh.  Fark.

#12 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

Long waits probably thanks to their refreshing policy...

That's a good point.

Scythe, look in the offending pages' HTTP headers for the Cache-Control directive.

The "default" is 86400 seconds, or a day, so going back to a tab days or weeks later will result in the page reloading when you hit forward/back.

Also some content providers might not honour the If-Modified-Since directive. If the content predates the date specified, the server is meant to return HTTP 302, and the browser needn't re-download the page.

I can only assume that the reasons already given explain why it seems to be worse in more recent times.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

Long waits probably thanks to their refreshing policy...

That's a good point.

Scythe, look in the offending pages' HTTP headers for the Cache-Control directive.

The "default" is 86400 seconds, or a day, so going back to a tab days or weeks later will result in the page reloading when you hit forward/back.

Also some content providers might not honour the If-Modified-Since directive. If the content predates the date specified, the server is meant to return HTTP 302, and the browser needn't re-download the page.

I can only assume that the reasons already given explain why it seems to be worse in more recent times.

I'd assume you're exactly correct.

But surely there's something that will let my local PC use more cache space, and NOT ask the content provider for an update?

Why should my local machine care what a provider has asked for, that's what I'd love to override.

If you have a look at any product on hobbyking.com does anything jump out as being a key offender?

it's just one page I know does it excessively, and there's just too much JS for me to try and figure out.

Since reading became a chore, code is my downfall :( used to be my passion :(

#14 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

It isn't so much what the remote server "asks for", rather how they have configured their servers to instruct your browser, and how standards-compliant browsers honour those instructions.

As for Hobbyking...

dhvs5MH.png

Said the web server to your browser: "Don't cache shit!" Actually, it just says don't cache the actual page. Every resource requested by HTTP can be controlled.

Some of the sub-requests, like for images and stuff, have different header requests and responses, like so:

PYFPLyF.png

I don't know if Firefox's dev tools are any good, but in Chrome, open the dev tools, go to the Network tab, reload the page, and inspect the headers for each request. Check the directives that I've highlighted above. You can also tell if the request was served from memory or disk cache.

Edited by SquallStrife, 06 February 2018 - 03:08 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

wow thats simultaneously deceptively simple and needlessly complicated.

Thanks! I'll be inspecting some random pages and seeing if I can scriptmonkey them to behave better.

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 18,003 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

I wouldn't say "needlessly complicated", it looks hard, but really it's just a "Cache this? Yes/No" instruction for every item the browser needs to retrieve from the server.

The issue, I think, is that HobbyKing has a lazy CloudFlare set up.

It's reasonable that they'd like the HTML re-downloaded on any navigation, so that, for instance, your shopping cart shows the right number of items, or in-stock status on a hot item is current. But there's no reason they couldn't use "Cache-control: private max_age=20" or similar on their catalogue listing pages to make quick successive navigations less painful.

No reason other than laziness.

I'm pretty sure the paid-for CloudFlare tools let you configure headers per-page or per-URL. If not they can exclude those pages from CloudFlare and set those headers on their own web server with header() in PHP or equivalent.

Edited by SquallStrife, 06 February 2018 - 03:47 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

I wouldn't say "needlessly complicated", it looks hard, but really it's just a "Cache this? Yes/No" instruction for every item the browser needs to retrieve from the server.

I guess it's the evolution of users and online thinking.

The reason I was thinking 'gee that's complicated' is because I grew up (as I know you did) in a time when if you want the latest, you re-query.

If you cart has changed, you refresh the page, don't wait for it to update via an active element.

I still live in that mindset of "Refresh the page for latest version" or more specifically FORCE (no cache) refresh to be sure.

But I understand thats not the norm.

The more exposed to 'modern' tech I am, the more I think we've given up too much control for lazyness.

We could certainly have given some, some things were FAR too manual, but there's a level of control:convenience I think we're passing....

#18 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

i would never want to go back, but this is definitely a downside of all this real time shit.

its why i sometimes open a bunch of tabs and then turn off javascript (via FF ext button), or even resort to pathetically taking screenshots

what i dont understand is why some tabs still lose their shit even after js is off...

no pung intended

#19 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,331 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

I haven't even bothered with JS off extensions.

Plenty of sites use it and many just become unusable when you disable it.

What shits me though is in the modern day there's still plenty with NFI how to program.  Like using CPU hogging delay loops instead of the proper way that uses timer based wait facilities.

And the fact that practically all browsers run all the tabs in a single thread makes it worse.

#20 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:48 AM

I haven't even bothered with JS off extensions.

Plenty of sites use it and many just become unusable when you disable it.

What shits me though is in the modern day there's still plenty with NFI how to program.  Like using CPU hogging delay loops instead of the proper way that uses timer based wait facilities.

And the fact that practically all browsers run all the tabs in a single thread makes it worse.

And the fact that people think Chrome == Chromium, and "I dont care" about the extra DNS hop EVERY PAGE AND LINK goes through, when using Google search or Chrome.

"It might be milliseconds, but its literally DOUBLING your DNS query time!" *nerd rage* lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users