• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, annoying with Google.  They used to link direct but now in order to capture their stats (and provide a referrer?) they have that middleman which in fact probably adds 2 seconds to the  process.

#22 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

That's not Chrome doing that though, it's Google itself, symptom is there in Edge and IE too (no Firefox on work PC to test).

Try it in Opera or whatever. Search for something, right click a result, copy link, paste to Notepad.

I have an addin in Chrome that makes the search result links go directly to the actual page,
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

I know that it's the page and not a browser specific thing.  Nice that you can get an extension to overcome it.   Don't have Chrome installed on this machine.

Strangely enough... it looks like Vivaldi is doing it direct by default (it's a Chrome based browser).

#24 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

I was more responding to this:

And the fact that people think Chrome == Chromium, and "I dont care" about the extra DNS hop EVERY PAGE AND LINK goes through, when using Google search or Chrome.
"It might be milliseconds, but its literally DOUBLING your DNS query time!" *nerd rage* lol

It's only Google search that does this, not the Chrome browser:

gKNMN0t.png

Couple of spurious hits to *.google.com after navigating the forums for a bit. Probably for ads, I don't have an ad blocker on this PC right now. Certainly not "EVERY PAGE AND LINK".

Edited by SquallStrife, 09 February 2018 - 03:02 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

I was more responding to this:

And the fact that people think Chrome == Chromium, and "I dont care" about the extra DNS hop EVERY PAGE AND LINK goes through, when using Google search or Chrome.
"It might be milliseconds, but its literally DOUBLING your DNS query time!" *nerd rage* lol

It's only Google search that does this, not the Chrome browser:

Couple of spurious hits to *.google.com after navigating the forums for a bit. Probably for ads, I don't have an ad blocker on this PC right now. Certainly not "EVERY PAGE AND LINK".

Perhaps they calmed it down; but there was a time when every DNS query was passed through google when using chrome.

I use DuckDuckGo and StartPage, and it was still "google hopping' before taking me to the page I asked for.

If they calmed that down, perhaps chrome browser isn't so evil... but I'll still stick with any of the Foxes (water, fire, etc)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users