• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 merlin13

merlin13

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,432 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

...the laptop is still so powerless it drops its CMOS settings when I remove AC...

Low main battery means it also drops the settings? As an aside here that smells suspiciously like the CMOS backup battery is also borked (I'm assuming that it's got one, for the price/specs it'd bloody well better have..).

And/or the BIOS itself is somewhat scrambled and needs a serious reset or even a full reflash to clear it out and restore some sanity to it.

Anything not nailed down is mine, and anything I can prise up is not nailed down...

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,539 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:43 AM

...the laptop is still so powerless it drops its CMOS settings when I remove AC...

Low main battery means it also drops the settings? As an aside here that smells suspiciously like the CMOS backup battery is also borked (I'm assuming that it's got one, for the price/specs it'd bloody well better have..).

And/or the BIOS itself is somewhat scrambled and needs a serious reset or even a full reflash to clear it out and restore some sanity to it.

yeah that little guy is dead too; but it wont matter if it had primary battery charge.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,539 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

How will this work? Will the PC receive the output?
Do I run it in a different way to how I've 'written' programs to the Arduino before?

If you have a proper Arduino board with a USB connection, then yes, it manifests as a virtual COM port, and you'd just watch for data in a terminal program (PuTTY will do the trick) or the serial monitor built in to the Arduino IDE.

If you're using one of those ATMEGA328P-based micro/nano boards that's designed to go into a breadboard, then you'd need to find a way to interface the board's logic-level UART with your PC, like one of those FTDI adaptors.

Ah I'd only been using nano's and writing programs.

I had no idea the 'full size boards' had that function.

very cool :)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#24 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

It depends how the nanos are connected. The ones I use have no USB connector, a 5-pin header on the short side for an FTDI adaptor for serial connectivity, but are programmed over SPI (I use a USBasp for this) and have no bootloader.

oOtkU.png

SPI programming uses RST, MOSI, MISO, SS, and SCK.

If your boards have a USB plug on them, and are programmed over the USB cable, then it has the serial functionality already. (Either using an ATMEGA32u4 or similar with on-die USB, or an ATMEGA328P with an FTDI chip on the board)

Ard_nano.jpg
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#25 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Keen to know if/how you got on with this?
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users