6 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

Curious;

I have a lot of old shows from days when 'HD' was never even a twinkle in... well... anyones eye.

I'm a cartoon nerd, so lots of them are quite simple to see what should be, and what shouldn't.

For example, thin black lines often 'flicker' or 'shift'.

Pixelation often occurs on the low bitrate keepsakes I've made in years gone by (when 480p was considered AMAZING and HDDs were on average 4GB)

And just general horribleness that comes from low bitrate, too much 'zoom', and all the nasties that exist.

Playing with Still Frames, I'm noticing a simple "Blur" followed by about 5X "Sharpen" makes these elements better.

This wouldn't work for video of real life things, but as its cartoons, this fixes a lot of things.

Is there any sort of plugin (VLC preferably?) that can use the wasted CPU\GPU cycles I have spare to clean up my shit video?

Perhaps something I can RE-encode to? (I know encoding can be lossy, well, is lossy, but with enough excess bitrate, I imagine things could go well.....).

For anyone who might have played with Emulators back in the day, I'm talking about things like SuperEAGLE mode, on 8\16 bit games style fixing.

Example; anyone remember how blocky sonic is in 16bit?

Voila.

Gorgeous.

render-super-eagle.png

https://vdnoort.home...mulation/2xsai/

This is all old news though...

Is there a postprocessor?

Or even something I can re-encode with? To try and upscale these POS videos I have?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,668 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

IMO, retro games are best left how they were intended.

That said though, a contentious point is scanline artifacts.  "Nice" emulation does something like drawing 70% of the pixel height then having the remainder either dimmed or black.

Of course the problem if encoding to Mpeg, or anything really is the nature of the beast is that 8x8 pixel blocks are the foundation stones but the 8x8 of encoded video rarely translates to 8x8 of captured video input from real hardware or even emulation.

Smoothing can be an unwanted annoyance - if the game was 320x256 then you want it represented to look like that, not some cheap upscaling that takes the jagged edges away.

Then of course, if you do have the scanline emulated effects it can throw things into disarray.

For mine if you're doing captured emulator output then try and do the video at "native" which might in fact be of greater dimensions due to borders, e.g. 320x256 could in fact end up 336x272.

If you've got a recent nVidia card, worth using it's hardware acceleration.  Though the "problem" there is that MediaCoder is the only thing I found that is adequate for the task (it has it's good points but has plenty of bugs and annoyances).

As for video player postprocessing, I tend to stay away from it.  I prefer to play anything over 10 minutes long through the TV (DLNA) so when doing video encodes generally view it on the PC without post-processing so I know what I'll view on a BR or STB player will be much the same (though my BR does have some post-processsing stuff you can use).

Re-encoding - I do H.264 or H.265 (or freeware equivalents), though I don't have a HTPC or decent player than can do H.265 playback.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

Emulators were just a good example of what upscaling can do, when you only need to match CARTOON realism.

I was hoping on some way to upscale, say, old 70's cartoons recorded at 240p amd as such having flickering line segments and shit that compression breaks.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,668 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

All I can say is grab MediaCoder and try a few encodes.

The Picture tab -> Resize button presents more options and a bunch of filtering types above and beyond bicubic.

#5 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Playing with Still Frames, I'm noticing a simple "Blur" followed by about 5X "Sharpen" makes these elements better.
Perhaps something I can RE-encode to? (I know encoding can be lossy, well, is lossy, but with enough excess bitrate, I imagine things could go well.....).

Pretty sure you could do this with VirtualDub filters.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#6 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

i havent touched VirtualDub in ages.  these days, Avidemux is my tool of choice.  both are very powerful in conjunction with something like Avisynth scripts.

most of my batch encoding i do with ffmpeg though.  the command line is very flexible.  resize, resample, filter, change aspect ratios, letterbox, etc etc

you may to de-interlace, resize to a large multiple of native resolution, interpolate to a higher frame rate, temporal smooth, de-noise, smooth, sharpen  ... but not necessarily all of those or in that order.

those flickering lines are probably artifacts present from original analogue encoding made worse during capture when they fall across the boundary lines of pixels, so probably there to stay, but you should be able to take some of the sting out them. 

whats the source of these?  what resolution and frame rate?  are they 480p caps of PAL TV? 
could you upload an example?

btw, i am curious if playback at 60fps with SmoothVideo Project would be any improvement.

no pung intended

#7 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

whats the source of these?  what resolution and frame rate?  are they 480p caps of PAL TV? 
could you upload an example?

*ahem*
no pung intended

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users