• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:54 PM

So I'll be sure to picture this thread up good and proper soon.

But for now, I need some advice :)

I found an old Gen2 i3 laptop,  with an AMD onboard GPU, brilliant.

For two reasons.

1. Its powerful enough to Emulate N64 (poor raspberry Pi 3)

2. Being AMD, it should be A-OK in Linux.

I'll either run Windows or Batocera Linux.

Anyway I stripped this badboy down to a motherboard.

Unlike the HP and Dell I tried before it, this is a TOSHIBA, and it's TOTALLY happy to run (and output to HDMI) as a bare motherboard (+CPU +Ram), and a custom power button.

SWEET!

So, now comes my dilemma.

What the hell do I case this thing in?

It's approximately the size of an A4 piece of paper, if you cut it square (so smaller than A4), and being a motherboard only with some heatpipes, it'd be kinda cool to keep it thin.

So I was thinking maybe 2 sheet metal plates (with a layer of Vinyl\Rubber to stop shorting, but we won't see that from outside), with a spacer between them?

Perhaps an alloy tube cut up?

I was considering using a broken N64 case, but finding a broken N64 seems harder than it should be :P

Anyone have any ideas for cool case designs?

Edited by Master_Scythe, 22 February 2018 - 03:57 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,641 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

N64 probably would be too small if it's around A4 size.

Weird about retro hardware supply - I drop in on average monthly to the rubbish rescue here and there were times when they'd have 40+ PS1s all lined up and several N64s.

These days, seems the ones that weren't wanted are long gone and the console rubbish is now Wii and even XBox 360.  Though I suspect good and dead in the 360 case.

Given the thing uses heat pipes it might be a good idea to keep it roughly in the orientation that it would be in a laptop.  Or at least such that the hot end of the heatpipe/s is closest to the ground.

Then again a laptop MB flapping in the breeze is probably going to get 3x better cooling by default regardless of orientation.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

Then again a laptop MB flapping in the breeze is probably going to get 3x better cooling by default regardless of orientation.

Precisely.

It also has all the advanced shit turned off in the BIOS now, no turbo, no HT, no VT, it should be living a very happy life.

Its also running with Gelid GC-EXTREME paste, so its now about 13*C cooler just from the worlds best non conductive paste.

I'm seriously thinking 2 flat plates of aluminium (actually, probably checkerplate) with bolts drilled through every inch or so, with a metal tube cut to height to act as spacers on the bolts will look the coolest.

Problem comes with ports. If I evenly space 'poles' like that, the ports will look wierd.

Perhaps I space 'poles' along the front edge, and use a bit of silver painted wood for the edges?

Fuck i'm going to a lot of effort to not buy a LattePanda.

Thats the other thing actually, if this project even approaches the $70 mark, I'm going to be throwing another $70 at it and just buying a fucking LattePanda.

I was trying to find cheap Perspex, but "cheap" and "perspex" go together like ... two things that don't go together.

Perhaps I go wood, and add a rubber edging? or even a metal edging? I just hate that raw materials in Australia are so bullshit expensive.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 22 February 2018 - 04:44 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

THREE DEE PRINT SOMETHING

... at least a mounting jig for the mobo, that would get fastened to your alum plates described earlier.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

THREE DEE PRINT SOMETHING

... at least a mounting jig for the mobo, that would get fastened to your alum plates described earlier.

Honestly? As I live in a high stilted wooden house, my 3D printer loves to be an asshole and come out wrong, because either the wind blows and the house shakes, or someone walks in the unit next door (which moved the floor enough to make pictures on walls rattle) and the print either errors, breaks free from the tape, or just otherwise goes to asshole.

I did think 3D printer initially but my bed isn't quite big enough for a whole case (I checked).

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

Measured, the board is 20cmx25cm.

Time to get-a-plannin.

Im considering a small document briefcaase with a false floor.

Because then controllers and snacks can be in the case, then a perspex floor, then an exposed motherboard.... could be cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users