19 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

So this is apparently where we are at these days;

This isn’t an easy thing to say, and it isn’t a recommendation we make lightly, but the graphics card market is so utterly screwed right now that we can’t see what else to sensibly suggest. The simple fact is, if you’re currently looking to build a machine mainly for gaming, the math simply doesn’t add up. Instead, we suggest that you grab an Xbox One X, and enjoy that for what it is until things calm down. Just to put the pricing in perspective, this whole console will cost you less than a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. It’s a 4K Blu-ray player, competent media center, and has a growing games catalog as well. It’s obviously not a real PC, and you are ultimately limited in what you can do with it, but as a stopgap, there’s a lot worse that you could spend your money on.

True or not, it's a sad state of affairs. I didn't expect to see this kind of thing in a PC magazines build section - specifically "Upgrade of the month".

PC Gaming has always been a premium product, and well worth it for the enthusiast market. Resistance is futile at the moment though.

Makes me glad I'm not the 'enthusiast' I once was.

Dare to think for yourself!

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:17 PM

Gaming consoles have their place as a gaming device and are sold UNDER cost of production, the games which are overpriced make up for the losses.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#3 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

That's always been the case more or less - the point that I was making is the state of the industry and PC Gaming in general.

When a PC Magazine throws up their hands and recommends you just buy a console - things have shifted dramatically.

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,554 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Only problem is that if these are literally the two things you're choosing between (xbox and PC), they should have mentioned that the Xbox is still WOEFUL at keyboard+mouse compatibility.

Also, they're on point if they're including the need to do 4k (but not if it's only movies).

But they're ignoring the fact that an XBOX targets 60FPS, and a 1050ti will hit that target @ 1080p in 99% of all titles.

Now is not the time to futureproof, but it is still quite a capable time to build a 1080p gamer with no future proofing, which really, is what an XBOX is.

I'd say the balance is still 1:1

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

The XBO X is a different beast entirely with gaming resolution though. It's not the 1080 hack that it's predecessor was.

The difference on PUBG is night and day.

#6 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

ya, when i think of consoles, i think of how pathetic FPS is without KB&M

so this looks interesting Xbox One X To Get Keyboard And Mouse Support Soon

no pung intended

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,554 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

Yep, it was so bad that Microsoft offered full refunds for all who purchased, and an official apology email.

All my friends, who were all PUBG fans took the refund, it was just unplayable.

https://forums.playb...or-broken-game/

IMO it's strikes against it like that that still put the PC above. If there's an iota of nerd in you, you can fix broken things on PC, but Xbox? No support? It's dead!

I mean the X is certainly better, but frame drops are still there.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 13 March 2018 - 03:10 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,783 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

The XBO X is a different beast entirely with gaming resolution though. It's not the 1080 hack that it's predecessor was.

yep, big difference

no pung intended

#9 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

PUBG is still in early access in Xbox. It comes with the territory.

It was already having huge issues before the X even dropped, and the development team were quick to resolve the bulk of issues.

The graphics performance alone is night and day different on the X. The early access issues are irrelevant to that argument.

The X is beyond 1080 60fps performance. That's the issue when comparing it to current PC builds to begin with.

Bang for buck, it's essentially unbeatable at the moment.

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,554 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

PUBG is still in early access in Xbox.

There's something fundamentally wrong with selling beta software, boxed, in stores, in bulk.....

I know it's called the preview edition, but it's still dirty.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 14 March 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#11 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

There's something fundamentally wrong with selling beta software, boxed, in stores, in bulk.....

The entire "early access" and pre-order thing is deviant. Early access doesn't even have the notional safety of a kickstarter project.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,554 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

The entire "early access" and pre-order thing is deviant. Early access doesn't even have the notional safety of a kickstarter project.

I actually purchased PUBG, played it, realised it was absolute SHIT, and managed a steam refund.

Load for 1 minute. Wait 5 minutes for a game server, wait 5 minutes for people to connect, drop from a plane for 2 minutes, and if you land somewhere unlucky, Die.

You can literally waste 15 minutes per round, and get nothing out of it.

ALSO there seems to be very little sticking power with the players. Once they die, they DC, so if you want to verse that dude that just got ya, good fucking luck.

Rubbish game.

#13 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

Now now, at least with early access you usually get SOMETHING.

I backed Two Guys from Andromeda on Kickstarter... just after I backed Double Fine Adventure. Still waiting for the former.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#14 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

I actually purchased PUBG, played it, realised it was absolute SHIT, and managed a steam refund.

Underlined the relevant part.  The game author(s)/publisher didn't give you squat.

I backed Two Guys from Andromeda on Kickstarter... just after I backed Double Fine Adventure. Still waiting for the former.

Yeeah. Ouch. I didn't say Kickstarters had no risk.

#15 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Early access has it's pros as well.

It allows the developer to get into the feedback loop earlier, and allows the community to guide what they are doing both right and wrong during development. Not post-release.

It's a double edged sword, but the days of "It's done when it's done" are slowly disappearing in favour of more modern approaches to the development cycle.

PUBG was incredibly buggy early on, but the fixes came hard and fast. Without launching the game and having that wide ranging and immediate feedback, many of those bugs would likely skill exist in the beta.

It's popularity speaks for itself. It's not all doom and gloom.

#16 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:15 AM

Yeeah. Ouch. I didn't say Kickstarters had no risk.

For sure.

I just meant to point out that the risk with Kickstarter is that you get nothing. Granted there is some recourse now for campaigns that don't deliver; there wasn't back then.

Early access means there's a product already, however incomplete and broken it might be.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#17 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

It's popularity speaks for itself. It's not all doom and gloom.

Oh, by no means! If people act in good faith, it has the potential to be the best thing for gaming ever. Heck, I'm a backer for Star Citizen, and that's alternately given praise and accusation of fraud in almost equal doses. I continue to hope, though it's definitely a long-term investment.

Early access means there's a product already, however incomplete and broken it might be.

Fair point. Though, given the extent of some games that have made it to sale on 'early access' on Steam, that's a fairly fine distinction. ;p

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,554 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

Pubg specifically ground my gears, because they 'early accessed' at the same price as the final game.

Even a $5 discount would show some faith behind "It'll get better I promise!"

#19 Damo

Damo

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,135 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

Pubg specifically ground my gears, because they 'early accessed' at the same price as the final game.

Even a $5 discount would show some faith behind "It'll get better I promise!"

But it did get better. Much better, and very quickly too.

That's how they demonstrated their faith.

#20 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,554 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

That's how they demonstrated their faith.

I don't need them to demonstrate their faith.

What are they having faith in? That I'm going to give them money?

I want them to not ask for my faith. I want some iota of proof!

Can't you see this really would be unacceptable for anyone else?

Imagine if Microsoft shipped MS Office 2018, with the caveat of:

"It'll crash, and most high end PC's won't be able to run it without huge lag, but pay us full price, and one day (no, we won't promise a deadline) it'll work. Promise."

It'd fucking flop!

I really don't understand why people stick up for this title so much; I'm not shitting on what playstyle of game you like, it's fine you like this game, play on!

I'm shitting on the company's "use" of their fans.

It's almost like a sneaky crowdfunding.

March 2017, and now it's almost a full year later, and it's still laggy on mid range PC's that can play other A+ titles.

I have a 5ghz overclocked 6core i7, and a 1060 6GB Overclocked by about 12%; and It couldn't hold the 85FPS my monitor wants (at least in Dec\Jan).

TombRaider and Bioshock Inifinity, with much more 'going on', and IMO much better visuals literally laugh at it. And don't load up my CPU like PUBG did too.

1 year of full priced game, being nigh unplayable for a lot of people, IMO is shitty.

Apparently the January patch helped a lot, a mate plays on a  1050ti now, but only at 60fps, but I'd refunded by then, and thats nearing a year.

Not only that, but unlike other A+ titles, they didnt call it BETA or anything.

The only way you knew it was pre-release was if you saw the small text on Steam.

If you purchase from any other game shop, you got your key, entered it in steam, and the menu just said PUBG.

It was underhanded IMO, not extremely, but they sure weren't as open about it as well.... literally every other game I've pre-ordered on steam even DOTA2 was called 'beta'.

Seeing their behavior, I actually expected the company to sell and run.

After a year of claimed, but un-confirmable improvements (just see the troubles on the subreddit), I assumed they were mass selling, cashing out, not hiring any extra coding skill, and would just bolt when the pressure  to deliver rose and sales figures dropped.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 16 March 2018 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users