• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

no local store sells the obscure shit i like to buy where can i pop in for some 7mm motor size quadcopter frames, or a usb arduino flashing device (for a few dollars)

and tools

show me a pair of quality nail clippers for under $10 aud, or and engineer micro crimper, or an upmarket digital thermometer

look closely at almost any electronics you possess, and it's a safe bet that "made in china" is on there somewhere

At least you can buy your tools somewhere
A few years ago I needed a rivet press, cannot buy them, had to adapt another tool (also hard to find) to do the job

OK you've tickled my curiosity.

A tool exists that no one can buy?

Is it just obsolete?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

OK you've tickled my curiosity.

A tool exists that no one can buy?

Is it just obsolete?

Obsolete by about 50 years

some parts of a pinball playfield are held together with Blind Rivets, a little like a pop rivet, but neater

you can still buy the rivets, but you cannot buy the press, you have to adapt an Arbour Press to take rivet dies

http://www.pinrestor...m/Riveting.html

#23 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

oK, back on topic
i do like with a B&M there is a place to go it the product is not up to expectations
i was just on a site that listed no physical adress or phone number, only an 'contact us'form. thus i will not ge buying from them

#24 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:22 PM

Yes, if there's no way to contact the seller ... don't buy!

Places like Amazon and eBAY are obviously a different proposition though.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#25 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

There's dodgy people and places both on-line and in the B&M. Back before computers, people still needed shit they couldn't find in shops. If they were clever and crafty

they made what ever they needed ( they do this now even with on-line shopping. Youtube is full to overflowing with c&c people showing you there expertise. )

They rang or met up with people and communicated the need, or they went to a library. In a round about sort of way I'm trying to show how gainfully employed many people were and could be

simply because they weren't shopping or browsing on-line ;) There were less people then too. Now we have a brave new world full of the ease of obtaining just about anything, and more and

more people with less variety of employment for them all.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#26 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

There's dodgy people and places both on-line and in the B&M. Back before computers, people still needed shit they couldn't find in shops. If they were clever and crafty

they made what ever they needed ( they do this now even with on-line shopping. Youtube is full to overflowing with c&c people showing you there expertise. )

They rang or met up with people and communicated the need, or they went to a library. In a round about sort of way I'm trying to show how gainfully employed many people were and could be

simply because they weren't shopping or browsing on-line ;) There were less people then too. Now we have a brave new world full of the ease of obtaining just about anything, and more and

more people with less variety of employment for them all.

And for some things, like TMFP's tool (heh), that's a possible solution.

For people like me, and Scruffy, where what we want is a micro circuit board that can control a multi-rotor hobby craft, there's no way to 'diy' that.

And nowhere that stocks them locally.

And anywhere in the country that isn't local, has on average 400-600% markup.

I'm all for DIY, I build anything I can, My TV stand for 10+ years was 2 cinder blocks and a used kitchen benchtop; however I can't solder things like this. (oh, these are 30mm, 3cm, just so you k,ow how small that photo really is)

899d69871ddee06d09bba4649f4c6ea2e8071c9e

And honestly, fuck 600% markup.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 16 March 2018 - 10:15 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#27 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

how much mark up you reckon is on the food you buy nightly from the eateries ? Amazed you don't buy your din-dins on-line too :)

atomic has π

#28 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

how much mark up you reckon is on the food you buy nightly from the eateries ? Amazed you don't buy your din-dins on-line too :)

and how much is my labor worth?

or the wages I pay?

or the rent?

#29 Quazar

Quazar

Master

• Atomican
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

I will shop locally if the service is good, if the staff just can't seem to be bothered to talk to me for whatever reason then I'll go else where or buy online.

With Launceston being my closest city I'm not exactly spoiled for choices unless I want clothes or food, white/brown goods are a choice between Harvey, JB-HiFi and a few others a couple of which a local however I've found the service at these places to be less than satisfactory so I don't go back.

Not charging for awesomeness since 1973 :)

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:03 AM

Less than the supermarket that's for sure!

If I need lunch at work, I will often order youfoodz and such online.

If I go out from work, It can be $10+ a meal to get something shitty like mcdonalds.

Or it's $12 to get a 'chef cooked today' lite-n-easy style meal.

Seems a no brainer for me :)

Coincidentally I was 'pricing the kitchen' while visiting the parents this weekend.

Mum's a typical '60's Mum', she rules the kitchen, cooks meals; all very 'Marie' from Everybody Loves Raymond  (if you've ever had to watch that abomination of a show!)

She was surprised how times have changed;

Unless I purchase more than 1 persons worth, its just impossible to cook cheaper than it is to buy.

I mean, for $7, the roast down at the RSL is just too good.

#31 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

If I go out from work, It can be $10+ a meal to get something shitty like mcdonalds.

Coincidentally I was 'pricing the kitchen' while visiting the parents this weekend.

Mum's a typical '60's Mum', she rules the kitchen, cooks meals; all very 'Marie' from Everybody Loves Raymond  (if you've ever had to watch that abomination of a show!)

Unless I purchase more than 1 persons worth, its just impossible to cook cheaper than it is to buy.

Getting a little off track but convos do that ;)

I think you're false economising a bit. Do you leave your home and walk to these place you buy your meals at, or do you spend petrol or public transport monies to get there?

What ever approach gets you there should be added to the cost of the food as it's money and at the least, time spent.

Also, just an observance, but you do post quite a few threads with health issues. And given that, it might be said you pay for medical issues where you don't in food and electricity in your

deficient kitchen << imo :)

I recall not long ago you saying you are quite the cook too; and given your penchant for the partaking of heating up frozen foods :

1: There is no reason to just buy for one. Why not buy enough ingredients for at least three, cook something, portion it into three and freeze two ?

2: You could have a day when you just make up some dishes you love to eat, and as above, portion and freeze the excess for other days. If you do it that way, you're not stuck with

eating the same meal day in day out ...

3:You could do your cooking in your mum's kitchen ( if she'd let you :P ) and transport your end product home in an eski to your freezer :)

atomic has π

#32 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,532 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

I think you're false economising a bit. Do you leave your home and walk to these place you buy your meals at, or do you spend petrol or public transport monies to get there?

What ever approach gets you there should be added to the cost of the food as it's money and at the least, time spent.

Also, just an observance, but you do post quite a few threads with health issues. And given that, it might be said you pay for medical issues where you don't in food and electricity in your

I recall not long ago you saying you are quite the cook too; and given your penchant for the partaking of heating up frozen foods :

1: There is no reason to just buy for one. Why not buy enough ingredients for at least three, cook something, portion it into three and freeze two ?

2: You could have a day when you just make up some dishes you love to eat, and as above, portion and freeze the excess for other days. If you do it that way, you're not stuck with

3:You could do your cooking in your mum's kitchen ( if she'd let you :P ) and transport your end product home in an eski to your freezer :)

I walk, or have them delivered (I work in an industrial area, so delivery is free, as they're packaged around the corner).

So no need to add anything else. Also time == lunch break @ work, so It may as well be used for that!

In theory, this is a great idea, but things still go off.

For example, I haven't been home before midnight in about a fortnight. I normally arrive home, shower, and go straight to bed.

I think I've mentioned before, I'd be lucky to eat 1 meal at home a week, I just don't get home.

I mean, I was going to thaw some vacuum sealed salmon the other night; use by 2015. Whoops.

My concept of time is shot, like unbelievably bad. I actually remember buying that salmon, I remember what was playing on the radio, I remember what I did after shopping that day.

But heaven help me if I expected it to be 2014 I bought it. I mean, it was, I wasn't single at that time, so it had to be, but damn! Time flies.

I did this for a while, but reality got in the way.

My one meal a day is usually Lunch.

My work often goes out for food, and to be honest, there is a certain (high) value I put on the social\team building aspect of sharing a meal.

I don't drink, so I already miss out on being "one of the team" when we go to the pub or event parties.

I couldn't keep doing that with meals also, being the odd one out has cost me more than 1 job when it reaches the 'who do we cut?' stage of employment.

This I do! but normally I cook for her, and then steal the leftovers. :P

Edited by Master_Scythe, 20 March 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#33 hulkster

hulkster

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

I'm an on-line type of guy. Mainly because it"s easier. Life is far to busy to try and get around to different places paying bills. :(

<strong class='bbc'>Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and<br /><br />oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital<br /><br />ingredient in beer.</strong>

#34 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

I walk, or have them delivered (I work in an industrial area, so delivery is free, as they're packaged around the corner).

So no need to add anything else. Also time == lunch break @ work, so It may as well be used for that!

I did this for a while, but reality got in the way.

My one meal a day is usually Lunch.

My work often goes out for food, and to be honest, there is a certain (high) value I put on the social\team building aspect of sharing a meal.

I don't drink, so I already miss out on being "one of the team" when we go to the pub or event parties.

I couldn't keep doing that with meals also, being the odd one out has cost me more than 1 job when it reaches the 'who do we cut?' stage of employment.

That's a tough break for now .

christ almighty that's a "hulkster" posting !! *waves* :)

atomic has π

#35 komuso

komuso

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:57 PM

I buy most bicycle parts and tools online. The idea of supporting local bike stores appeals to me, but there is usually is significant price difference between online and bricks and mortar. Regular online prices are cheaper, and during sales, its a no brainer. More choices too. I feel a bit chary about buying electronic parts since you're on your own for support, but that hasn't stopped me yet. 

Edited by komuso, 20 March 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#36 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,564 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:02 AM

i notice the move away from physical shopping when i drive around
5 years ago, driving around the CBD in Ballarat, it was hard to find a parking spot near were you wanted to shop. Now you would be unlucky not to find a place within a short walking distance

#37 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

If potato head dutton has his way, extra $5 per parcel charge.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#38 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,602 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

he's such a dick, i guess he has no qualms about doing something that will make him unpopular with yet another group of voters

once nobody likes you it's hard to be concerned about whether they'll like you less

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#39 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

he's such a dick, i guess he has no qualms about doing something that will make him unpopular with yet another group of voters

once nobody likes you it's hard to be concerned about whether they'll like you less

You mean the voters in his electorate who use Amazon and eBAY ...

#40 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:30 AM

i notice the move away from physical shopping when i drive around
5 years ago, driving around the CBD in Ballarat, it was hard to find a parking spot near were you wanted to shop. Now you would be unlucky not to find a place within a short walking distance

Some of that would be due to on-line, but the rest is due to a general lack of spending.

atomic has π

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users