5 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

Anyone up to date?

The internet is full of, dickheads, wrong information, and misleading marketing.

Basic Acrylic, and normal 2k paint I understand.

But there are a few 'exotics' that I just can't nail down.

For example, I was talking to concept paints, asking how their clearcoat uses "2k technology" but is in a 1 part rattle can.

First, after talking to a chemist mate, he suggested there are a few hardeners that are activated by Oxygen exposure, and are packaged under Nitrogen.

Cool, I thought to myself, isocyanate free, and possible catalyzed (even if it is weaker than true 2k); so I jumped onto the work facebook account and asked the question.

There is no hardener.
It is a moisture cured product. It cures with moisture in the air.
The Super Gloss Clear is not as chemical resistant as full on Isocyanate based 2 pack.

So I'm guessing (and as far as I can tell, narrows it exclusively to) a moisture cured urethane.

(EDIT: It's not, its marketing bullshit, '2k technology' means '2k clarity', and yeah, it has that, but it's just a pure acrylic.

If you want a p aint that IS moisture cure urethane clear coat, look into everything KBS make, but mainly their Diamond Clear.)

Is anyone up to date on paint technologies?

Does this sound right?

How does this stuff hold up to chemical exposure?

and hardness compared to regular air-dry Acrylic?

I bought a can, because it said "2k technology"; I knew it wasn't true isocyanate 2pack, but I hoped it had a real hardener in it.

Apparently not.

Long shot on an IT forum, but anyone know about this shit more than I?

Edited by Master_Scythe, 23 March 2018 - 01:26 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 hulkster

hulkster

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

Did my apprenticeship on Acrylic and enamel. Then came  2 pack. Still do a few backyarders and still mostly use Acrylic and the occasional 2 pack job.

As for the new stuff I have no idea.

<strong class='bbc'>Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and<br /><br />oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital<br /><br />ingredient in beer.</strong>

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Did my apprenticeship on Acrylic and enamel. Then came  2 pack. Still do a few backyarders and still mostly use Acrylic and the occasional 2 pack job.

As for the new stuff I have no idea.

Well you may be able to help me a little then.

When doing touchups, how severely will a basic petrol spill damage an Acrylic finish?

I've hard horror stories, but I've not dared risk it.

Just that as a kid I had a lot of Asbestos exposure, so I don't want to add isocyantes to the cocktail if I can help it :P

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 merlin13

merlin13

Guru

• Atomican
  • 8,429 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

Damn you to hell, I'm now curious on this "...moisture cured acrylic..." stuff.

Quick troll with Uncle Google - most of the hits seem to point more towards flooring even boating, but this one explains a lot (!) of the technical differences in paint tech that you might be looking for.

Although by the end of it I had to uncross my eyes and stop my brain from hurting....

Anything not nailed down is mine, and anything I can prise up is not nailed down...

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Damn you to hell, I'm now curious on this "...moisture cured acrylic..." stuff.

Quick troll with Uncle Google - most of the hits seem to point more towards flooring even boating, but this one explains a lot (!) of the technical differences in paint tech that you might be looking for.

Although by the end of it I had to uncross my eyes and stop my brain from hurting....

Look into KBS Diamond Finish

That's about the only product using this tech marketed as 'paint', and it looks bloody cool!

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,533 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

So I was curious about that range at SuperCheap, they stock a range of paint called 'ColorSpec', which is a mix-to-match paint system, provided by CONCEPT paints.

The confusing part is that their range specifically says to use ACRYLIC topcoat ONLY.

After some research, I managed to get a look at the paint codes on the bottles and gave Concept a call.

All the tinters started with E (E-18, E-26, etc)

Basically, there was no 'E' series on Concepts website, despite them making the paint. The hell?

I decided to actually make a phone call!

Turns out the 'E' stands for economy; same match accuracy, just less pigment in the economy range (so more coats needed).

Super Cheap Auto = Economy range

Autobarn = Normal Range

Auto1 = Normal Range.

After a quick chat, the economy range is sometimes good for 'fading' a blend, because, less pigment, means an easier fade; otherwise, the 'normal' range is better.

I also confirmed that all the 'NoMix' paint range (which is Concepts) is 2k compatible, even this 'Acrylic Only' ColorSpec stuff.

Same system, all the same paint, just different name.

Hopefully that's useful to someone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users