• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,509 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

So, I've been waiting for Far Cry 5 to hit.  I loved previous Far Cry games and was very excited for an open world style sandbox to play in (900 hours of The Witcher: Wild Hunt perhaps puts me in a "type" category :P).  With the added bonus of campaign co-op (I've been told it's even local co-op, but some articles seem to dispute this) it sounded AWESOME.

Anyone had a play yet?  Thoughts?

I've got it on pre-order, however aren't sure I'm going to go through with the purchase given the early reviews I've seen.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

I mostly was just pointing to the first few minutes of that and the title - he does tend to go on a bit. Haven't any experience of the game myself.

Edited by Cybes, 29 March 2018 - 09:47 AM.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#3 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,509 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:12 AM

I must admit, the negative reviews I've seen seem to be people who are perhaps a little too emotionally close to the series... :)

It certainly SOUNDS good :)  I need to get the co-op situation clarified however. :(

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Have to admit, I've stalled with FC and Crysis.  2 favourites but I'm still yet to finish Crysis 2 and haven't yet played even FC3.

Looks pretty impressive, I suspect you'd need a decent graphics card to enjoy the full detail.

The multiplayer co-op mode, from what's said in this video towards the end - the limitation seems to be people on your friends list.  So I'm guessing it works equally fine in a LAN or 'net situation.

Edited by Rybags, 29 March 2018 - 11:25 AM.

#5 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,509 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

Went and had a look.  On the XBox console it is Live CoOp only (I was told it was couch co-op) which probably means it isn't local co-op at all - which bites.

It seriously pisses me off when developers ignore couch and local co-op.  

Unfortunately it also means that I'll probably be giving it a pass now until down the track.  It's pretty much a deal breaker on a new title for me these days.

EDIT: Got off my butt and checked Co-Optimus.  No local or couch play available.  Online only.  SUCKY!!!!! :(

Edited by Chaos.Lady, 29 March 2018 - 01:44 PM.

Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#6 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,798 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

I'm still playing HZD, but Far Cry 5 is on my To-Do list.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#7 fotob

fotob

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

I've basically only done the tutorial island, so just starting now really

Edited by fotob, 30 March 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#8 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

Far Cry was a masterpiece. a well loved game, but still to my mind underrated. yes, the story and dressing were pure B-grade action movie trash. even so, gameplay gameplay gameplay! emergent gameplay. one of the first true FPS sandboxes, and the greatest of its time. the most memorable action sequences i found myself in were the result of freedom and happenstance, over and over again. god damn i love that game.

FC2 left a bad taste in my mouth, and i bailed early. i liked the grittier, more serious tone, but hated the awkward feeling weapons, bullet sponge enemies that couldnt be downed with a point blank headshot, repetive A-B fetch quests with goons respawning at every hard won checkpoint 5 seconds later. it was drudgery. i felt like i had been robbed of agency. this was not Far Cry! the new developers just didnt get it. i was so dirty on them i ignored FC3 for years.

Crysis, as much as it is a landmark, most of all for the graphics and destructable environs, it never reached the heights of Far Cry. it wasnt the evolution that Crytek had promised. i had a tonne of fun with the nanosuit for a time, but it was way more of a gimmick than it needed to be. the game just didnt create enough situations that necessitated tactical choices with the suit. worst of all the 'open world' felt inexplicably cramped and this only increased as the story descended further and into linearity and boring as hell firefights with glowing squids.

FC4 is actually great game. i was pleased to find enough of the classic Far Cry freedom alive and well. the story arc wasnt bad either. i actually felt invested in the plight of the people. and a few of the highly scripted singular missions are very good. but for me its all about roaming around and taking down strongholds and fortresses. i am a) fascinated by AI behaviour and b) become obsessed with finding a perfect sequence for one-man-army glory against overwhelming odds that will work despite variables in behaviour.

it becomes like a puzzle. skulking around in the nearby hills spotting guards and their beats, a proximity mine at this entry point, then skirting the whole perimeter and another mine along the edge of a building to protect my six on my way in, a silent kill, a hidden body, a sniped alarm box, a lobbed grenade over there, then around that corner and a shotgun in the face for those two, and a final rush on the guy going for the other alarm. i savescum a bit in this respect but i also dont deny myself the fun of more messy victories. the best of both worlds is doing a bit of a recce but going in on instinct and getting it right on-the-fly, first time.

story aside, the sheer amount of incidental funny shit that can happen in this game with the physics and all those animals running around and vehicles and explosives is worth the price. airborne grenade-launching from a mini-chopper? yes please! then theres the massive map, varied terrain, and, of course, eye candy all round.

FC3...meh. finally got around to playing this last year. of course, it was always going to feel dated. the story is vapid SHITE that makes you dumber despite the creator's claimed aspirations of intelligent irony. all the things that are occasionally annoying about FC4 are all there too but sooo much worse — unskippable cutscenes with over-acted bad dialogue, retarded quicktime events, and the samey samey tedium of capturing towers to progress through the map. FC4, however, pretty much includes every thing that was good about FC3 and improves on it. to anyone, who has not played FC3, just skip it. imo there is no reason to play it at all.

looking forward to FC5.  i expect it to suffer the same negatives as the last two, but as long as there is a similar amount of sandboxy goodness, bring it on.

Edited by @~thehung, 30 March 2018 - 12:43 PM.

no pung intended

#9 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

I'm still playing the first one.

Hail Satan.

#10 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,798 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

I have loaded the disc into my new PS4 Pro (http://forums.atomic...74#entry1201549) but I haven't started yet.

I've been told to get to the part where you open up the map and can start the Multiplayer component. So maybe I'll do that tonight.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users