Photo

Building new computer, need a little help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 producer123

producer123

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I am in the process of building a new computer and I need some help deciding between parts. I will be using the computer to play games and would like to be able to run current games on the highest settings with 40-50+ FPS (trying to stay under $1,300-$1,400).

Here is my build so far:

CPU - Intel i5-3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4ghz

Motherboard - It's between 2 boards at this point; ASUS P8Z77-V LK (not sure if the slightly more expensive ASUS models are worth it) and MSI Z77A-G45 (not sure if the GD55 is worth it)
After reading reviews it seems that both brands have occasional QC issues; this includes damaged RAM slots (both), loose heat syncs (MSI) and other DOA issues... it happens, I get it.
I am particularly leaning towards the MSI board as it comes with THX, supposedly has good BIOS management software, has more internal fan connectors and I have read some great reviews on MSI's video cards.

Graphics Card - It's between 3 brands at this point; SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 (is the OC version worth it?), MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 (is the MSI R7850 PE worth the extra money?) or the ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850
Ideally, I would want to have the same brand mobo and gpu... from a compatibility standpoint, it seems like a sound idea. If I am wrong in my assumptions, please correct me.

RAM - I have heard GSkill and Corsair are good, not sure what to get (I want two low-profile 8gb sticks)

PSU - I have heard Antec is pretty good, not sure what to get (looking at around 650 watts, is this too much?)

HD - I want to get a 2tb regular hard drive for storage (how many RPMs, what brand?) and I want a SSD drive to run my OS and games (what brand, how much space is ideal?)

CD/DVD Drive - I want good quality (what brand?)

CPU heat sink/fan - I saw lots of people choosing the Cooler Master 212 Evo; I really am not sure what would be the best choice

Case - I have been looking and am really indecisive on what I want to choose; I want USB 2.0/3.0 on the front panel, but other than that... just good cable management and good air flow (I love fans).. so far all that I can really find that is decently priced is COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case; definitely looking for some opinions on this choice...

Anyways, that is all I have so far... I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
Thanks 

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:21 PM

Where are you finding the 'OOLER MASTER HAF 932' in stock?

And what shops are you likely to purchase from?

Also, why the AMD GPU's only?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,476 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

Good luck.  I edited the title to take out the all caps.

I'm hungover and shouting makes the little man with the hammer in my head unhappy... ;)

As for the other -

Radeon cards shit me (as does most AMD based boards)... so can't help you there. 

CoolerMaster is a pretty good solid brand and I've always been quite partial to their cases (usually they are pretty and have a good range and are easy to work in).  The things you are going to want to look for are 1. Will the case make it easy for me to work in here (room to manoeuvre, room for cards (esp a double sized graphics beast) etc)?  2. Will it have good air flow? Enough fans? 3. Where is the PSU located?  4. Where are the ports located?  Does it have the useful ports in the right places? 

Antec is also a good solid brand.  Go bigger for PSU rather than smaller (graphics cards are a HOG and upgrading them can be a pain if your PSU is too small).

Have fun!

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

The video card is obselete, I wouldn't buy a 2GB video card. At least 4GB of VRAM if you can afford it.

The 3GB GTX1060 is a good compromise card for cost (6GB one is better). If 1060 is too pricey then the 1050 ti is an option.

Edited by Jeruselem, 12 April 2018 - 06:58 PM.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,664 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:42 PM

WTFnH?

The HD 7000 series came out over 6 years ago now and pretty much anything from AMD before the Rx-300 series, except the high end 200s could be considered fairlywell obsolete.

I get the feeling this is another one of those "no reply from the originator, trickles down then resurrected 2 months later with lots of handy links" type threads.

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,819 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:44 PM

Good luck getting an AMD HD7xxx in first place!

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:51 AM

WTFnH?

The HD 7000 series came out over 6 years ago now and pretty much anything from AMD before the Rx-300 series, except the high end 200s could be considered fairlywell obsolete.

I get the feeling this is another one of those "no reply from the originator, trickles down then resurrected 2 months later with lots of handy links" type threads.

I thought that too; but googling a chunk of the post suggests this is a unique entry, so I didnt want to be too harsh.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,476 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

If he's staying under $1400 it's still a reasonably budget box.  Could be looking at using older components or looking at older reviews...

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users