• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

Due to unsuccessful multi- tasking on Sunday, I thought it in order to go have a tetanus needle today ...

Why is it Doctors seem to favour jabbing into my left arm ? Is this a personal preference sort of thing, or do they do it cos a lot more people are right handed ?

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,760 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

They're supposed to ask... or at least should as a courtesy.

I had a tetanis earlier in the year after being nipped on the palm by some idiot's dog.  And flu shot about 2 weeks ago.  From memory I was asked my preference in each case.  Gladly, neither left that annoying stabbing pain that sometimes lasts over a week.

#3 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

i always ask which is their dominant arm, and ask if they want it in their less "useful" arm in case they get a reaction

professional tip :  if you put your hand on your hip like "a little teapot", and pressyour hand against the hip, it is physically impossible to tense up your deltoid when you get stabbed, which makes it as painless as possible... injecting into a tense muscle needs more pressure

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#4 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

Handy tip there scruffy, am curious to see if I'll remember, or rather, need to remember it ;) My upper left arm has an assortment of scare tissue from jabs given to me during my school years. Given the years gone since then, they must have been

woppers back in the day ; I doubt today's jab will leave an impression... but it was as I was driving back to work and changing gears that the question of arms bearing the brunt came to me.

I'm a lefty always have been. And I don't ever recall being asked my preference. As my arm was covered in a three quarter sleeve, my doctor tapped me on the upper arm as he walked toward his drugs cupboard. I dutifully pulled up the sleeve without

giving it a thought - he's busy.

atomic has π

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,760 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:25 PM

Should be lesson learned then.

... next time, drop trou and present right arse-cheek.

#6 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:08 AM

Yep, to lesson learned. As for either of my arse cheeks being presented ...nup. not on my watch. I've managed to get this far in life without having to present that, I shall hopefully maintain that status.

atomic has π

#7 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

at the end of my first stay in hospital, they had trouble finding places they could stick a needle into

this time around they had to insert a picc  line, at least I had the option of which arm they used

#8 mickf

mickf

Learner

• Quark
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

I've got a flue shot coming hope I remember...??????

When someone says have a great day I know they don't mean it but when they say fuck off I know they do

#9 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,924 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

I'm in Cyprus for six weeks at neomed instatute getting a needle every week day for ten pass ozone or sometimes saline ozone as treatment for cfs,Lyme,babesia,bartonella

Thankfully there very skilled

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#10 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:27 AM

I'm in Cyprus for six weeks at neomed instatute getting a needle every week day for ten pass ozone or sometimes saline ozone as treatment for cfs,Lyme,babesia,bartonella

Thankfully there very skilled

Crikey. So what, do you do the left arm every alternate day ? Or do your thighs, buttocks, between your toes get a jab too ? I should think after six weeks you could be a sprinkler :)

[am hoping humour is ok at this time ]

atomic has π

#11 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,924 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:28 PM

They are very skilled and use to dealing with people that have far worse vanes than me.
3 to 4 times a week 10 pass involves drawing up 180ml of blood into a small hyperbaric chamber before compressing it with ozone and using a blood thiner to stop it clotting.
This is done 10x in a row so they need to use the good vanes in the arm it takes 40min to a few hours depending on how good your vanes are.
The other days of the week they can use smaller vanes in arms, hands, feat for a lower dose of ozone delivered in 250ml of saline.

But yes I have had a few looks getting around with needle marks but not until this week a little bruising on my arms.

That's the easy part of the treatment they provide

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#12 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:01 PM

you're left arm is closer to your heart

I hated it in hospital a few years ago having cold saline oozing into me through the drip, I could feel the cold ache going all up my arm ... they should warm that shit up first ... geeez

I've been thinking about updating my vaccinations lately, mates are having babies so I probably need the one for whooping cough.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 06 June 2018 - 10:05 PM.

MY CURRENT SIGNATURE

#13 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:59 PM

I hated it in hospital a few years ago having cold saline oozing into me through the drip, I could feel the cold ache going all up my arm ... they should warm that shit up first ... geeez..

one of the two chemo agents i had was required o come straight out of the fridge

try an hour of that versus saline at room temp

harden the fuck up - they should have added the necessary concrete

;)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#14 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:25 AM

one of the two chemo agents i had was required o come straight out of the fridge

Sounds familiar. Very.

Been a long time, but... Methotrexate, I think. Not DHAP or CHOP, and whilst I think Cisplatin is (was) also fridge-fresh, you'd very likely have hearing damage from that and I don't remember you mentioning that.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#15 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:47 AM

don't know about the " closer to the heart ", but for such a teeny lil needle the tetanus jab gave me a sore upper arm for a few days. Maybe my fault perhaps for tensing up. I find it difficult to be cool about needles.

atomic has π

#16 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,581 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

don't know about the " closer to the heart ", but for such a teeny lil needle the tetanus jab gave me a sore upper arm for a few days. Maybe my fault perhaps for tensing up. I find it difficult to be cool about needles.

depends on the size of the needle

my daily insulin , no problem

most other nurse given needles, no problem

come to draw blood though, that will hurt

needle to inject dye while getting scanned, hurt like hell

#17 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

...come to draw blood though, that will hurt

Huh.

Needle size, yes - but I've always found putting stuff in worse than taking things out. Intramuscular worse than subcutaneous worse than intravenous. Having blood drawn has never been an issue.

Oh. Intrathecal hurts like a motherfucker no matter if they're taking or giving, despite having a small gauge needle. Discs do NOT like having holes punched in them.

#18 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

Oh. Intrathecal hurts like a motherfucker no matter if they're taking or giving, despite having a small gauge needle. Discs do NOT like having holes punched in them.

bone marrow aspirate is allegedly dreadful

my experience is it depends on who does the stabbing... i was appropriately concerned on my second occasion (as my first was done while i was asleep during another procedure), and in all honesty, it was way better than dental things i have had done, other than some local weird pressure

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#19 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:59 PM

depends on the size of the needle

my daily insulin , no problem

most other nurse given needles, no problem

come to draw blood though, that will hurt

Yes I think the size of the needle did lessen the pain of being jabbed. Also he jabbed me very high up on the arm too, so not sure my tenseness figured much ... maybe ;)

atomic has π

#20 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

bone marrow aspirate is allegedly dreadful

my experience is it depends on who does the stabbing... i was appropriately concerned on my second occasion (as my first was done while i was asleep during another procedure), and in all honesty, it was way better than dental things i have had done, other than some local weird pressure

Yeah, I'd go along with that. Had marrow harvested from the pelvis prior to first chemo: local numbing shot, a little weird pressure, and that was it - nothing deferred or ongoing.

The dental stuff... Had a wisdom pulled last year, and really it was just a little tender next day. I had some prescription form of Panadine Forte, which I was expected to use all of over a few days - used one, mostly out of anticipation of pain, and that was it. Getting jabbed in the gum hurts more - certainly can make you jump a lot if the dentist tickles a nerve!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users