Photo

Help with router options / ideas

Best Answer aliali, 03 June 2018 - 09:58 AM

For new get a TP-Link TD-W8950N

http://www.staticice...D-W8950N&spos=3

It's pretty basic but has a Broadcom modem chipset which handles long or noisy lines better than some other chipsets.

Then as Rybags suggested get an RSP supported modem when you go FTTC, although do avoid the Netcomm NF10WV, it's very unreliable. However the Netcomm NF18ACV is supposed to be OK.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krovikan8472

krovikan8472

Serf

• Lurker
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Hi All,

I recently moved and don't have a router atm. I am setting up iinet adsl and my area should have NBN FTTC by OCT-DEC. I plan to switch to NBN as soon as it is available.

I was thinking that maybe I could buy a crap/basic (even second hand) adsl router for now and get a decent NBN capable router later. Or maybe a decent WIFI switch with N/AC and just get a basic ADSL modem which I can then switch to a NBN capable modem at a later date.

My budget is around $150, but if someone has a good idea, I would still like to hear it.

Current devices used will be 2 WIFIAC capable phones, 1 gaming PC over Ethernet and possible streaming TV (prob over WIFI).

Thanks in advance

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,760 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

Try places like Salvos and the game exchange places like Revolution and Cex.

You should be looking at $5-$20 for a 4-port router that does Wifi (n) 300 mbps at the least.  Considering it'll probably be replaced as part of an NBN plan that's about all you should be spending.

These days people are literally throwing out decent ADSL gear so little point buying something new.

There are routers that are dual mode (ADSL/VDSL) as well as having the VOIP port but you'll often get a VDSL one thrown in as part of a new plan anyway.

#3 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,477 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:58 AM   Best Answer

It's pretty basic but has a Broadcom modem chipset which handles long or noisy lines better than some other chipsets.

Then as Rybags suggested get an RSP supported modem when you go FTTC, although do avoid the Netcomm NF10WV, it's very unreliable. However the Netcomm NF18ACV is supposed to be OK.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

I got an ADSL2 modem/router from tplink via ebay/gumtree for something like $10, pickup.

Worked a charm as far as helping to diagnose when there's an issue with the line and when it's a modem - it meant we had two modems to flick between.

That TPlink one was the more reliable one of the pair, FWIW.

Edited by Nich..., 03 June 2018 - 03:56 PM.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

Exactly this.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users