• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 msmile033

msmile033

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Latest Qantas mishap - a passenger reported engine fire, leading to a fuel dump and emergency landing.

In this case, I'm not so interested in the particular story yet - at this stage, it's still basically hearsay. What does interest me though is the apparent large increase in mechanical problems they've had since they took their servicing overseas.

Of course, the LAMEs (Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - pronounced lay-me) are going to say they can do it better. They're always going to say that, even when they can't. They're also going to tell you horror stories about the state of the industry in places without Australia's safety and licensing regulations. It's in their interests to get the work back, at the very least - and the bragging rights don't hurt either.

Do you think the observed increase is real, or just an artefact produced from increased activity? Do you think it's anything to worry about? Should Qantas bring their servicing back on-shore, despite the increased cost of doing their maintenance here?

Personally, I'm inclined to listen to the LAMEs in this case. Qantas' biggest advantage in their markets was their safety record. I reckon people are prepared to pay a little more for a ticket when they know they aren't going to be sent screaming to the bottom of the sea. 

#2 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:49 PM

I do fifo with qantas.

We have regular problems with airbus A320-200 jets.

The boeing 737-800 jets are solid, always on time, always start up properly.

That aside, I think it would make us Australians feel better if our aircraft servicing was kept at home.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 06 June 2018 - 09:53 PM.

MY CURRENT SIGNATURE

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

QANTAS have a servicing hub in the USA, you wonder if that's paying off or some tax scam.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#4 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:16 AM

We just did this. The OP is word for word identical: http://forums.atomic...dpost&p=1202381

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#5 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

Oh The Spam ! Spam is taking over the world !!

... back in the day it was Martians that were perceived as a potential horror ... spam. a first world problem ;)

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#6 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,483 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:21 PM

I brought it.

Not home tho. :P

Spam is really starting to bore me.

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users