• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyard5666

sunnyard5666

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

I have an ancient PC purchased around 2002, it's so old i'm not even sure what it is running any more. I think it's P4c 2.4Ghz, Asus P4P800 mobo, 1Gb of DDR ram, 120Gb HDD and a Nvidia 5700. My sister was the owner of it, until it broke yesterday. She said she was using it, and then suddenly the monitor just went blank/black, followed by power cutting out for the mouse and keyboard. Now when i try to start it, fans and lights are up but monitor says 'no signal' and there's no power to mouse (no light). I think there's power to the keyboard because the F-key can still be turned on/off but the numlock and capslock don't produce any light. So i tested with my other monitor, and it's no signal again so it's definitely not the monitor. So at this point, it could be the mobo, ram or HDD. I don't think it's the GFX card because then at least it would still boot into windows and mouse/keyboard lights would be fine. I don't think it's the power because it's still seems to be powering up the components. Not sure how ram could do it, i thought if that was the cause all 4 sticks must have gone kaput. But this is all just random guesses, what do you guys think? The other thing i noted is the HDD light on the case is contently on, it's not flashing, but on. Thanks.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,760 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

It's probablyfuckedyoushould buyanewone.

#3 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,340 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

It's probablyfuckedyoushould buyanewone.

Your spacebar appears to be failing.

@OP: Electronics that old are probably going to cost you more to fix than replace. You can pick up a second-hand laptop that is better in every way for very little.

Or you can spend a motza on something bleeding edge. ;)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:38 AM

And if the data is important, HDD docking stations are usually well below $50 from a PC shop (normally more around $20)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,760 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

Docking cable + tethered power supply is where it's at.  So you can just leave the drive in the machine or take it out but not have to remove the mounting hardware that some use.

Problem is, mine's only USB 2.

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,913 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:35 AM

And if the data is important, HDD docking stations are usually well below $50 from a PC shop (normally more around $20)

2002 system ... PATA/IDE drive most probably as well

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users