• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HaLes297

HaLes297

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:10 PM

Grandfather is looking for a bluray player and digital media player, currently has a TV recorder and dvd burner he'd also like to replace with an all in one unit.

Came across this.
http://www.newegg.co...3-007-_-Product

An all in one pre-built would be ideal, but would the D525 with Ion2 be capable of TV recording while watching bluray? Or would it be a bit of a one trick pony and not really up to multitasking?

Would most likely max out the memory at 4gb and put an SSD in it, with an external drive for actual storage.

So would this be fast enough? 

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 05:37 PM

Recording a DTV channel or even entire stream (TS) isn't really a huge chore.  From memory it's about 20 Megabits/sec which is less than 3 Meg per second - I've found most/all of my USB flashdrives can timeshift on a PVR/STB without much trouble.

Analog TV is dead now so no point getting into that, but it actually requires more grunt to digitally record ATV since the capture is static uncompressed frames and an audio wavestream which need to be converted on the fly (in some cases there's hardware assist for that).

But playback is where the issues can arise with low end PC gear.  BluRay natively is MPEG-4, H.264 for originals and UHD is H.265.  Both require a reasonable amount of grunt to have smooth playback especially once the resolution goes up (generally H.265 will be in use for anything over 1920x1080)

Also, TV is starting to move to H.264 rather than the legacy MPEG-2 / H.262 standard (which has comparitively very low playback processing requirements).

That device - not sure.  The CPU on it's own would likely struggle but the nVidia playback assist would be of big help.  Of course whatever software you use has to actually use the hardware that's there, it's not automatic.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

That CPU on the system is a really slow Atom, I had one of those on a netbook. Nope, get a faster newer system.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:45 PM

They're not entirely bad - I've got an old Aspire One here with an N270 which is single core/HT and is amazing in it's performance increase in benches with 2 vs 1 threads (like 50% or more better).

I've also got my Pendo 7" Windows 8 tablet which is a quad core somewhere in the 1.8 GHz range.

I'd have to run some benches but from memory they're in the vicinity of equivalent speed Core 2 CPUs.  Sort of sad that Intel dropped them, for portable devices the performence is OK but the power consumption vs equivalent Anrdoid devices is usually a bit poor.

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Those old Atoms were replaced pretty much because their performance is the issue, the power consumption was great.

You're better off with a recent i3 than an Atom. Hyperthreading on those Atoms was pretty awful.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

I've got an older single core Atom here that's actually amazing with 2 vs 1 threads.

Most of the multi-core Atoms in fact don't support HT.  And I suspect the single core ones likely have an advantage over mainstream single-core CPUs of the same era like maybe an extra FPU or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users