• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

As of now all the international Amazon websites have blocked shipping to Australian addresses (thanks lobbyists). Luckily, though, a wide assortment an extremely limited selection of "international" goods are available through the local Amazon Australia webstore.

Are you a Nana Mizuki fan? Of course you are. Previously available direct from Amazon Japan...

kyLTLYF.jpg

... this worked out to be AU$86.71 plus around $15 in postage (though it was much less per item if you ordered a few things together). Amazon Australia is now offering the same concert - still shipped from Japan - for...

JFHUz8f.jpg

Wow, thanks, Amazon! Free delivery, too!

Fortunately, CDJapan have decided to abide by this new tax tomfoolery.

#2 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,023 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I can't seem to care about what Amazon may do. Not yet, anyway

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:50 PM

Amazon have done this GST in an asshole way, eBAY just shove the GST as part of your shipping costs.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#4 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Given most of my amazon purchases were for things not available in Australia, and that their AU store has a poor range relatively speaking, I can't see myself using my amazon account much these days.

I wonder if amazon will survive in Australia after this decision - they had the capacity to be THE portal for bringing a globe of independent retailers to Australian customers with a integrated and trusted payment and shipping system. They could have made their way of collecting GST the benchmark for many people, and between them and ebay had a duopoly.  But they've decided they want to get the other 'Australia Tax' as a profit.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:18 PM

The model of my tablet and laptop were bought off Amazon, for some reason Australia gets "special" versions of things.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#6 ArchangelOfTheLamb

ArchangelOfTheLamb

Learner

• Quark
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

I don't blame Amazon as much as I blame the GST whingers like Dick Smith. Whilst Amazon is certainly being greedy, I can't really hold it against them that they don't want to factor a massive amount of administration and accounting into all their sales to AU (previously they only had to account for GST for purchases above $1k).

If Dick Smith and Co had actually evolved their business models so that they were competitive in AU despite the growth of online markets instead of whining about GST, the Government wouldn't have introduced the tax amendments and Amazon wouldn't be blocking AU.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

"These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done." Revelation 22:6

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:12-14

"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." Revelation 22:16

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

Everytime I have to pay GST for my eBAY under 1000, I thinik of that poor Harvey Norman guy who can't afford to feed his million dollar horses.

Edited by Jeruselem, 05 July 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#8 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,593 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

I don't blame Amazon as much as I blame the GST whingers like Dick Smith. Whilst Amazon is certainly being greedy, I can't really hold it against them that they don't want to factor a massive amount of administration and accounting into all their sales to AU (previously they only had to account for GST for purchases above $1k).

but dont they already have to be tax collectors for some American states? Canada?

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,403 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Yes.  In the US they have to work out sales tax on a state by state basis, as well as some items not attracting sales tax based on the type of item, and/or where it shipped from.

They have to deal with VATs and sales taxes across the EU and UK and etc.

This is them deliberately being spiteful to protest the governments moves.

Blaming Australian retailers is a little bit on the nose, considering that people would still be buying from overseas (exchange rate being strong, anyway, which it's now slipping away from) even with needing to pay GST. 

I've been making the most of staying in Arizona this past month - I get stung with an 8% sales tax above and beyond the prices listed, but there's a big distribution warehouse in the city, so they tell me it'll take upto 2 weeks for free shipping to arrive, but it's here the next day.  Shame the exchange rate is balls atm.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:33 PM

Australian retailers get their imported product GST free, the hypocrites.

#11 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,403 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:22 AM

And then have to collect GST on it because it's sold here, right?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 15,012 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

True but the price difference between items here and Australia is that huge, I think the GST is a small factor then add the unofficial Australia tax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users