Photo

Help! Baby on the way ... what do I need to know?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

My girlfriend has passed 3 pregnancy tests with flying colours after coming up short on her monthly thingo. We think she is 3-4 wks along, so early days for now but still doesn't hurt to get acquainted with a bit of a reality check in the meantime I figure. She wants to wait until about 7-8 wks before going to a doc. According to an aplication she downloaded, she'll be due around March 7th next year.

I have started by moving the motorbike out of the spare room and mulching the garden.

Hail Satan.

#2 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

folic acid : 500mcg daily

no alcohol / caffeine / ... in fact, no drugs at all till > 6 weeks if at all possible, including panadol if you are paranoid

no raw fish or runny cheeses

no cleaning cat shit

if she's vegan > iron supplementation

get lots of sleep; after march 7 (probably later than that; first babies are notoriously late by ~ 10 - 14 days quite often), you won't get much unbroken sleep for probably several months - if you're lucky !  otherwise maybe several years

make any plans you want, including a birth plan, but be warned that babies don't read, and will do whatever they do

your best plan is to be adaptable, and lower your standards

congratulations !

and good luck ! there is nothing anyone can tell you that will adequately prepare you for parenthood

it's great, but it's the most endless job you ever had, and life will change completely

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,857 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Congrats... but... mulching the garden?

#4 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

spur of the moment

Hail Satan.

#5 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,023 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:24 PM

spur of the moment

Yes, congrats to you both RenascentMisanthropy :)

Also I heartily approve and endorse your spur of the moment. A good garden is always appreciated imo, especially for that much needed quiet spell ...

Motor bike is far too noisy to share the kids quarters ... they both will stink it out, just in different ways is all

Give up most of the junk food; get into the habit of good sleeping / rest patterns; go out now and make some good memories that you can think on in the wee hours of the morning whilst rocking your kid back to sleep.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#6 Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie

Overlord

• Hero
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:05 AM

Congratulations to you both.

your wallet and your life now belong to your child !

Enjoy.. You could be getting a kewl Train Set !

#7 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,593 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:10 AM

get lots of sleep

#8 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

spur of the moment

woulda been safer mowing the lawn than hoeing the garden...

although in this day and age i guess there are less front lawns than back in my hippie youth

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#9 SpudMuffin

SpudMuffin

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

Time to look into your private health insurance and sort out what you want to do in regards to going private or public.

Look into the Medicare safety net - https://www.humanser...care-safety-net - get you and the GF enrolled as a family

Get used to this http://www.mbsonline...sf/Content/Home

Be aware of this - http://www9.health.g...&Submit=&sopt=I and review the safety net info per above - Most obstetricians I know of will change at least $2000 for this consult but you'll only get $316.85 + $219.45 back, but the safety net will apply for the rest of the year

GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 | i7 6700K at 4.4Ghz under a Noctua NH-D15 | G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB | Gigabyte G1 980Ti | 240GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD x2 RAID0 for Windows, QNAP TS-412 for everything else

#10 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,023 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

Choose a caesarian ... and a doc with wonderful stitching skills. Do your pelvic exercises religiously << speaking to your GF, but hey you could join in if you wish, they can be done just about anywhere.

edit : spelling the easy words is a fucker at times

Edited by eveln, 08 July 2018 - 07:37 PM.

atomic has π

#11 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

Lots of good advice, thank you all :D

I've accepted that my house isn't being paid off in the next two years.

Hail Satan.

#12 DEVERE

DEVERE

Titan

• Atomican
  • 23,861 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Firstly - congratulations!

Secondly - some great advice in this thread.

Thirdly - face it all with common sense - I know too many who go by "what the baby book says".... as scruffy1 says - babies can't read and they love to throw you a curve ball just to fuck your plans up. 

Fourthly - enjoy, take each day as it comes.

Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu. Cinnidh Scuit saor am fine, Mur breug am faistine, Far am faighear an Lia-Fail, Dlighe flaitheas do ghabhail. - Quote by eveln Maybe the wolf's a vagitarian...let's not start picking on him for his dietary habits.

#13 eveln

eveln

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,023 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:17 PM

Lots of good advice, thank you all :D

I've accepted that my house isn't being paid off in the next two years.

Yes ! A really good train set with all the bells and whistles, can really set you back these days

atomic has π

#14 Leonid

Leonid

Immortal

• Atomican
  • 40,550 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:27 PM

Baby won't remember a thing and there's no such thing as correct parenting or a perfect baby.

Baby 2.0 will be different to 1.0. There are no right answers.

"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." - Stephane Charbonnier (1967-2015)

"If liberty means anything, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

#15 Kothos

Kothos

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,050 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

Hey congrats!

Scope out the hospital and the maternity ward in person first and if you don't like it, scope out another one.  We had a horror experience at RPA and wouldn't touch the place again with a 100ft pole.

Other than that, just love your kid and it'll usually turn out fine.  The ones that don't the state will take care of  :-p

"To love another you have to undertake some fragment of their destiny." - Quentin Crisp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users