• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 QuadLex

QuadLex

Champion

• Lurker
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Before Giftnukkah I toyed with the idea of getting an Xbox 360 Elite for myself, as a gift. I didn't because I don't have spare monies. Now, thanks to a gift from Nan and a payment for some work from Dad, I have $200 and will soon be able to save the rest. So maybe I can afford a new shiny, after all.

Now the question arises: Is it worth it?

I have a Wii, and I have a Q6600 (4 Cores... Everything Quad is 1337) with 4gig of DDR2 (Everything) and an 8800GTS, which isn't too unreasonable a computrix. So I have a couple of gaming platforms. I like to play RPG/FPS blends (Fable), RPGs, quirky things like World of Goo and Da Blob, good platformers and some, very selected FPSs... Notably Sci-fi themed. Thinking about the games I know of on the three-siddy, they're not really exclusive to the platform. There's Dead Space... Wait, no. Fallo... What about Gears of W... Oh, I see. Certainly then, Viva Pin...DAMNIT!

I'm not a 360 Gamer, currently, so I don't try to keep up. What makes a 360 stand out as a gaming platform, valuable as well as a PC+Wii? No "Lul get a PS3" please, or flaming, I'd like a nice civil discussion... This isn't "I'm sexually defensive so lash out online"-tomic, after all.
Quadlex: Not Disguised by Sobrietry since 2002.

#2 FAZZ Gundam

FAZZ Gundam

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

What makes a 360 stand out as a gaming platform
Xbox Live

#3 Aki54

Aki54

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Doesn't really sound like you want a 360. Sounds like you've got some money in your pocket and want something to spend it on. Honestly just get some games off steam, probably find that alot more satisfying for your tastes.
Achievement whoring is an art.

#4 The End

The End

Guru

• Banned
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

Modern consoles are great for playing casually online. If you don't have mates who own the console and the games you want to play, you probably don't need it.
Console supremacy crew Now playing: 360: Forza 3, FIFA 10, Madden 10 PC: Empire, Hearts of Iron 3 DS: Scribblenauts

#5 Ug Lee

Ug Lee

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,111 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

The fact that it has the best range of games on any console so far this gen. Sell your Wii, once you get a 360 you won't be needing it.
Now playing - Super Street Fighter IV (X360)

#6 QuadLex

QuadLex

Champion

• Lurker
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

Doesn't really sound like you want a 360. Sounds like you've got some money in your pocket and want something to spend it on. Honestly just get some games off steam, probably find that alot more satisfying for your tastes.

I'd thought about getting one for the last month, actually, but I'm not sure why. I saw some exclusives I liked (But then found out they weren't exclusives) and think Live Arcade sounds nifty. Media Centre sounds cool also, and I like the idea of a more powerful console then the Wii. But over the last month some of those reasons have evaporated. I'm sure there's other things worth buying the console for, however, which is why I want people's opinions.

#7 morris

morris

Cam Whore

• Super Hero
  • 25,641 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

What about Gears of W... Oh, I see. Certainly then, Viva Pin...DAMNIT!

Gears of War 2 = XBox 360 Exclusive (I dont' see any sign of the PC version)
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise = Xbox 360 Exclusive (same deal as Gears of War 2)

Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Halo 1 and 2 and other all eventually made it to the PC, but only once they did well on the XBox 360.

Also, you know that a game will work on the XBox 360, you won't need to read the requirements list unlike the PC.
@--}----- Life's a joke. And we all need laughter

#8 Yolbit

Yolbit

Charge

• Atomican
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

360s kick ass, and at the price they are at, at the moment, they're hard to go past. also, iinet offer free xbox live time (not included towards your dl limit) one word of warning, in my time ive seen and repaired a fair few 360s with the rrod (red ring of death), there are easy mods that can be done - aftermarket cooling, better heatsink, xclamp removal, 12v fan mod etc etc consider once your 360 has past its warranty - could you repair it or would it just become another brick in the growing wall of dead xbox out there apparently (although i still havent seen it for myself) the late gen 360s are still rroding and having all round GPU issues, i personally wouldnt buy one without being confident i could fix GPU issues that are so common with these consoles

#9 motiv

motiv

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

360s kick ass, and at the price they are at, at the moment, they're hard to go past.

also, iinet offer free xbox live time (not included towards your dl limit)

one word of warning, in my time ive seen and repaired a fair few 360s with the rrod (red ring of death), there are easy mods that can be done - aftermarket cooling, better heatsink, xclamp removal, 12v fan mod etc etc

consider once your 360 has past its warranty - could you repair it or would it just become another brick in the growing wall of dead xbox out there

apparently (although i still havent seen it for myself) the late gen 360s are still rroding and having all round GPU issues, i personally wouldnt buy one without being confident i could fix GPU issues that are so common with these consoles

Just to add.

MS have a 3 year warranty for RROD errors
<Rent this space for .99c>

#10 Lord-Ezekiel

Lord-Ezekiel

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:55 AM

The fact that it has the best range of games on any console so far this gen. Sell your Wii, once you get a 360 you won't be needing it.

Ug Lee speaketh the truth.

Reasons to buy?
Just look at the awesome games!
Some of my personal favs so far that I have finished (or played to death) and are still in my collection are:
The Darkness
Condemned
Army Of Two
Battlefield: Bad Company
Mass Effect
Kameo
Blue Dragon
The Outfit
Overlord
Blacksite
Halo 3
Gears Of War
Kane & Lynch
Earth Defense Force 2017
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Burnout Paradise
And heaps more...

I barely even touch my computer since I bought my 360 about two years ago :P

Edited by Lord-Ezekiel, 29 December 2008 - 08:06 AM.

NOW PLAYING: PC: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim 360: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary PS3: MotorStorm: Apocalypse IPOD: Block Breaker 3: Unlimited SYSTEM: Intel Core i5 2500K | XFX GTX 275 896MB XXX Edition | 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Asus P8P67-M PRO | 1TB Black + 2TB Green | NZXT Trinity Case | 23" Samsung S2333W Monitor

#11 morris

morris

Cam Whore

• Super Hero
  • 25,641 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

Just to add.

MS have a 3 year warranty for RROD errors

To clarify: The 3 years only applies to the 3 red ring error.
4 red rings is still only 1 year.
@--}----- Life's a joke. And we all need laughter

#12 The End

The End

Guru

• Banned
  • 10,385 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

Most important of all: Hi def gaming from the couch is fucking awesome.
Console supremacy crew Now playing: 360: Forza 3, FIFA 10, Madden 10 PC: Empire, Hearts of Iron 3 DS: Scribblenauts

#13 CloAkEd

CloAkEd

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Most important of all:

Hi def gaming from the couch is fucking awesome.

He speaketh the truth.

Also, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix + Hori Arcade Stick + Xbox Live = Awesomeness on such a scale your head will explode taking out your testicles.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe If children grew up according to early indications, we should have nothing but geniuses. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#14 Ug Lee

Ug Lee

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,111 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

cloaked, add me to your XBL list. Let's play some SF2.
Now playing - Super Street Fighter IV (X360)

#15 CloAkEd

CloAkEd

Champion

• Atomican
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

cloaked, add me to your XBL list. Let's play some SF2.

Ok but I suck arse at the moment, I was speculating about the Hori I only jsut ordered it :D
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe If children grew up according to early indications, we should have nothing but geniuses. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#16 BeRkStA

BeRkStA

Apprentice

• Lurker
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

IMO if you still can't make your mind up even after the great game lineup of 2008 then I wouldn't bother now.
ASUS M4A78T-E Phenom II 720 BE @ 3.2GHz ~ Stock Fan G.SKILL 4GB DDR3-1333 8-8-8-21 Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Corsair ATX 520W Modular Power Supply Cooler Master Storm Scout Mid Tower Vista Ultimate - 64

#17 MotoXXX

MotoXXX

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I love my xbox, I've gone off PC all together now. It's great being able to just buy a game, whack it in the console and relax on the couch playing glories hi-def games on a big screen LCD.

#18 QuadLex

QuadLex

Champion

• Lurker
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

Thanks guys, come the middle of this month I think I'll buy one.

#19 drago13666

drago13666

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,927 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

it just amused me, in the OP you said you liked games like Fable but couldn't think of any exclusive games that you wanted, Did you completly forget Fable II?
Life, just like Schrödinger's cat, is both heaven and hell. It is only through death, when the true measure of our lives can be determinded, do we find out where we spend the rest of eternity.

#20 NukeJockey

NukeJockey

Titan

• Hero
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

Xbox live arcade has some awesome games, Braid is a good example. There are still quite a few exclusives worth getting, GoW2 and Viva Pinata being some of them, they also work great as a media centre, you can watch DVDs, stream movies from your pc and if your pc has a TV tuner you can watch TV through it aswell. Word of warning though, playing on anything other than an LCD TV or Monitor with decent speakers will put you off and is not worth it imo.
My Rig: ASUS P67 Sabretooth | i5 2500k w/ Corsair H80 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaw-X 1866mhz | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X| NZXT Phantom | Corsair HX850

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users