• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Midnighter

Midnighter

Titan

• Atomican
  • 28,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:28 AM

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought using a 64bit kernel (rather than 32bit) would make a difference.

Why does it make a difference? :P

Rob.

Don't make me head-butt you Rob :P
Marcus Aurelius: ‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.’

#22 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,885 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:24 AM

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought using a 64bit kernel (rather than 32bit) would make a difference.

Rob.

Don't make me head-butt you Rob :P

Presuming a 64bit kernel can work with a 32bit userland, which I assume it can because it's what maxx has been doing, what would the problem be?

Or does it only semi-work?

(I haven't fully researched the whole 32/64 thing)

Rob.

#23 Linux_Inside V2

Linux_Inside V2

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,187 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Rob.

Perhaps dpkg or apt is checking which architecture he's using and choosing the packages to go with?

#24 robzy

robzy

Immortal

• Hero
  • 42,885 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Rob.

Perhaps dpkg or apt is checking which architecture he's using and choosing the packages to go with?

Ah, that's a good point :P

Although, wouldn't have thought that would prevent software from being installed really.

Rob.

#25 Linux_Inside V2

Linux_Inside V2

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,187 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:06 PM

Ah, that's a good point :P

Although, wouldn't have thought that would prevent software from being installed really.

Rob.

Under normal circumstances it wouldn't

But funky things are sure to happen when you've got a 32-big userland and decide to update a few packages with their 64-bit counterparts.

Hilarity Ensues!

#26 iamthemaxx

iamthemaxx

Super Hero

• Super Hero
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hilarity. Yes. Sure.....

#27 Midnighter

Midnighter

Titan

• Atomican
  • 28,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hilarity.
Yes.
Sure.....

Noob. :P
Marcus Aurelius: ‘Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.’

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users