9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Firefox 4 is out!, Get it now
darklife41
post Mar 23 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #21
Atomican
Primarch

I envy anyone who has a fast enough connection to see a speed difference between browsers. They're all sluggish on my slow connection.

FF4 still has no way to block content? And it stuffed all my favorites when importing from IE (wouldn't import bookmards at all from Opera).

Took all of 5 minutes for me to uninstall it and go back to Opera/IE. Still not ready for prime time in my humble opinion, but I do appreciate the heads up about the release. :-)

--------------------
EX38-DS5, E8500 4.0GHz, 4gb Kingston Hyperx 1066, HIS IceQ4 4850, Corsair HX620w, 4x1TB Seagate RAID 0 on RocketRAID 640 6GB controller, 4x1TB backup, Antec 1200, Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1, Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1, G5
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
discoInferno
post Mar 23 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #22
Atomican
Primarch

Am I missing something obvious? Where's my "save and close" option when I close Firefox with multiple tabs open and want it to go back to those tabs automatically next time I run the program?

--------------------
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

+Quote Post
Evil_Monkey
post Mar 24 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #23
Atomican
Primarch

7.373 million downloads for me as i start my download.

Man i knew firefox was popular.... But damn!

--------------------
If life is but a dream, then why can't you wake the fuck up?
:)

+Quote Post
Mac Dude
post Mar 24 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #24
Super Hero
Immortal

The Norton 360 Toolbar doesn't work with FF 4.0.

Known problem, fix will be 'a few weeks'.

--------------------
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

+Quote Post
viremia
post Mar 24 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #25
Atomican
Master

I downloaded it on my PC at home. It's alright.
Few new added features that I don't like.
Such as the "Firefox" button, that has the entire menu in it.

You can enable the menubar, but it's so out of place and intrusive.

Most of my plug-ins still work, which is nice. Only the one that doesn't.
But I can live without it for a few weeks.

I used chrome when it was first released and didn't like it.
This looks near identical from memory.
Nice an original, Mozilla.

I'm having no issues with blurred text, infact I think sites look better. More open.

--------------------
h.IV+[Kymatica]

+Quote Post
nobody813
post Mar 24 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #26
Atomican
Champion

QUOTE (discoInferno @ Mar 23 2011, 11:36 PM) *
Am I missing something obvious? Where's my "save and close" option when I close Firefox with multiple tabs open and want it to go back to those tabs automatically next time I run the program?

Actually, that is missing. Good point

That feature was really handy

--------------------
"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i5 2500K | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 | Cogage Arrow | 120GB Intel 520 | 2TB & 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair HX-650W | Fractal Design Arc Midi

+Quote Post
Director
post Mar 24 2011, 08:03 AM
Post #27
Hero
Immortal

Options > tabs "Warn me when closing multiple tabs"

Options > general "when firefox starts....."

p.s. here's a list of all the new features: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features/ buggered if I can find a site that tells you how to find and activate them?

This post has been edited by Director: Mar 24 2011, 08:13 AM

--------------------
"Comments can be bad for science. That's why, here at PopularScience.com, we're shutting them off."

+Quote Post
viremia
post Mar 24 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #28
Atomican
Master

I found under Options > Advanced a checkbox for (something like) "Tell sites I don't want to be tracked".
Any idea what that feature actually does?

--------------------
h.IV+[Kymatica]

+Quote Post
bnew
post Mar 24 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #29
Atomican
Champion

Have just installed it on my work machine- very happy with it.

+Quote Post
Periander
post Mar 24 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #30
Atomican
Overlord

Wow, yes, much faster. Probably on par with Chrome imo.

FireFTP needed an update but did so automatically.

No Aussie dictionary for v4 yet, but the UK one will do me for now.

+Quote Post
Nich...
post Mar 24 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #31
Mod
♥ Mafia Scum

QUOTE (Sneddo @ Mar 23 2011, 03:21 PM) *
Cool, looks more and more like Opera every release :P
I'm grateful they didn't do the crappy version of tabs-on-top where you see less tabs because of the window OS gadgets, at least : P

QUOTE (codecreeper @ Mar 23 2011, 04:06 PM) *
Yeah it does look nice. i wonder if there will be a 64bit version out soon.
There's been one available for a while, the issue is usually a lack of 64-bit plugins.

http://nightly.mozilla.org/ if you really want to give it a go.

QUOTE (mark84 @ Mar 23 2011, 05:52 PM) *
EDIT: Hey check it out, are you guys getting a resize grabby thing in the bottom right of the reply boxes on this forum? What a neat idea! Resize your forms!
Yeah, it was one of the nice things about the alphas, as unstable as they sometimes were :>

--------------------
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

+Quote Post
discoInferno
post Mar 24 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #32
Atomican
Primarch

QUOTE (Director @ Mar 24 2011, 08:03 AM) *

Options > tabs "Warn me when closing multiple tabs"

Options > general "when firefox starts....."

Hey thanks - that'll do. Doesn't do the "save and close" thing, but just automatically goes there next time you run Firefox.

--------------------
Intel Core i5 3570K | NZXT Havik 140 | Asus P8Z77-M Pro | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL | Asus GTX670 DCU2 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD | Corsair AX-650 | Silverstone FT03B | Lite-On DL-4ETS Slot Load Slim Blu-ray | Apple Aluminium Keyboard | Logitech G5 | Dell U2412M

+Quote Post
SlurmsMackenzie
post Mar 24 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #33
Atomican
Champion

I miss the loading bar at the bottom right with the green blocks :(

+Quote Post
mark84
post Mar 24 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #34
Hero
Champion

QUOTE (discoInferno @ Mar 24 2011, 12:36 AM) *

Do this:

One change in Firefox 4 is to by default stop Firefox displaying the warning message, but it can be turned back on by changing some preferences.

Type about:config into the location bar and press enter
Accept the warning message that appears, you will be taken to a list of preferences
Locate the preference browser.tabs.warnOnClose, if its value is set to false, double-click on it to change its value to true
Repeat this for these 2 preferences browser.warnOnQuit, browser.warnOnRestart
Starting with beta 12 there will be an additional preference that needs to be set to true - browser.showQuitWarning

That solved it for me.

Also, if you have lots of tabs open (like myself) you can set the browser to only load the tabs you're using. So on opening FF the tab you're on is loaded into memory, the rest aren't, then as you click them they load up and use more RAM. Keeps it nice and snappy with lots of tabs going.
Simply change browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs in about:config to 0

And by the way, version 2 of my atomic forum menu is now live! Go get it!

EDIT: FF has 15 million downloads and counting!

This post has been edited by mark84: Mar 24 2011, 08:43 PM

--------------------
Desktop: i7 950 @ 4.2GHz | HD6990 @ 1GHz | 6GB RAM | 120GB + 250GB SSDs | 2x 2TB HDD in RAID1
Server: Atom 330 | 50GB SSD | 2x 2TB RAID1

Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6073/
The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
Desktop build log | http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=36995

+Quote Post
ssar
post Mar 25 2011, 06:09 AM
Post #35
Atomican
Journeyman

Yea, just installed it.

Agree, the layout is a bit hard to get used to, tho it is now more similar to Opera's.
Though you can right-click on the menu bar at the top and deselect "Tabs on Top" to move the Tabs bar back to being just above the web pages yet below the Bookmarks & Navigation bars.

I prefer the Home button over the left hand side where it used to be, rather than the far right hand side now too, just moved it back after choosing "Customize".

It found 1 of my Add-Ons to be incompatible & disabled it (AVG Safe Search) and whilst it offered to search for a compatible version it was unable to find one.

It also doesn't show (at least by default, cannot find a menu option for it either) the secure page lock icon for applicable pages any longer, wheras Firefox 3.6.15 does down the bottom right hand corner. Apparently on secured pages the company name will appear before the URL with a green or purpley blue box/background which you can then click on for more details. Green is verified certs, purpley blue is unverified certs.
So that works.

It also seems to be missing the green progress loading bar down the bottom right that indicated page load progress, I quite like those. Apparently you can install an add-on "Status-4-Evar: Status bar widgets and progress indicators for Firefox 4+" which works for this.

I'm reading quite a few reports of relatively blurry text as a result of the new version and suggested tweak involving hardware acceleration or something - text in my setup seems to be a tad crisper than before, if anything.

It does seem to fun a little faster, which is good.

This post has been edited by ssar: Mar 25 2011, 06:12 AM

+Quote Post
Redhatter
post Mar 25 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #36
Hero
Guru

Just updated here, it disabled my mouse gestures and some other goodies, that I was able to re-enable using the Nightly Test Tools extension.

So far so good though.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20110325 Firefox/4.0 - Build ID: 20110325101203

--------------------
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
Resident Gentoo developer.

http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter/

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on a tape somewhere...

+Quote Post
blkfxx
post Mar 25 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #37
Lurker
Serf

23,329,799 downloads as I post this. WOW.

--------------------
The True Sign Of Intelligence Is Not Knowledge But Imagination
Mobo:Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Q9505 Yorkfield
Cooling: Stock
GPU: Gigabyte HD6870
PSU: Antec Truepower 650W
RAM: 4 GB Corsair XMS2
HDD: 1 x WD 1Tb Caviar Green, 1 x WD 250Gb
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

+Quote Post
Morgoth
post Mar 25 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #38
Hero
Guru

I like!

Mostly cos it auto imported all my shit from FF3

--------------------
2011 Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings !! http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=41178
Current PC (no lie)
Athlon XP-M 2400+@2640MHz (3d) / Abit NF7-S2.0 Vmodded / 1Gig OCZ Gold EL GX BH-5 / ATI Radeon 9800XT@500MHz

+Quote Post
deejeta
post Mar 25 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #39
Atomican
Journeyman

am really enjoying this new firefox. i feel dirty if i ever have to use IE or safari now.

--------------------
Q9550 @4.25 w/cooled || Gigabyte P45 UD3-P || 8 gb DDRII ||GTX 480 w/cooled || Lots of HD's, Patriot Inferno SSD || LG W2242T ||
--------------Vantage- P25876-------------------Wprime 32m - 11.765-----------------------

+Quote Post
mark84
post Mar 25 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #40
Hero
Champion

At work I'm lapping up the whole "group your tabs" panorama feature.

--------------------
Desktop: i7 950 @ 4.2GHz | HD6990 @ 1GHz | 6GB RAM | 120GB + 250GB SSDs | 2x 2TB HDD in RAID1
Server: Atom 330 | 50GB SSD | 2x 2TB RAID1

Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6073/
The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
Desktop build log | http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=36995

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:24 PM