Reply to this topicStart new topic
Atomic Commonly Asked Questions
.:Cyb3rGlitch:.
post Jun 19 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #1
Atomican
Hero

Atomic Commonly Asked Questions

Why is google.com in the Board Statistics area at the bottom of the forum index?
Google is one of many web crawlers which gather information about the forum, its threads, posts and other content. It does this to keep an up-to-date database. It ensures that new posts are able to be retrieved from within Google's search facilities. This is a good thing.

Why isn't my avatar showing under my username whilst browsing the forum?
Unfortunately the native image host is erratic in its behaviour, and as a result the avatar will appear and vanish at random. To solve this, host the image externally on a service such as Photobucket or Tinypic, and use the direct link provided to set your avatar in the forum Control Panel.

Where is the old Atomic? I want to see the archives!
Version 2.6 of the Atomic forum can be found at http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/

Why have I seen some of the published articles elsewhere?
Atomic is in a partnership with Custom PC in the UK. Content from Atomic authors are exchanged with content from UK authors to ensure a large range of material can be published on a regular basis. More information can be found here.

I recently bought a subscription and I haven't received my magazine!
There's a cut off time for when a subscription will get the next months issue of Atomic. Sometimes the timing of your subscription means that you will not receive the next issue, and you will instead get your first magazine the month after. If a substantial time period has passed, you should contact the subscription department at subscriptions@atomicmpc.com.au (Australia) or clee@gordongotch.co.nz (New Zealand).

Can I get a backorder for a magazine?

Yes. Ring the subscriptions office at 1300 610 765 with your request. If they happen to have no copies of a particular issue, the best alternative is Trademart. You will need 128 posts to be allowed to post in this forum.

I have an issue with something/someone on the forum. What do I do?
Report it via the dedicated '! Report' button located under each forum post. If you have an issue which is not related to a specific thread/post, you can still use one of these buttons, however make it clear that the post you have reported from is not related to your report.

I can't reset my password! What do I do?
There is a known bug when attempting to retrieve a forgotten password. Until this is fixed, the only way to get it reset is by asking a moderator so we can inform the appropriate people. You may have to create an alternate account to do so.

I get logged off my account when I visit the homepage. Is this normal?
If you have elected to remain online indefinitely during login, then no, this is not normal. There have been reported cases of a possible bug which is causing an issue. This is currently being worked on.

I can't access Trademart anymore? Why?!
Recent back-end changes have been employed to prevent members with under 128 posts from accessing Trademart. This has been implemented by associating post count with different member groups. If you look at any of your forum posts, you will see your username, and underneath this will be either 'Lurker', 'Quark' or 'Atomican'. If you are yet to reach 16 posts, you will be in the Lurker member group. Between 16 and 128 posts and you'll be in the Quark member group. If you have 128 posts or greater, you will be in the Atomican member group.
Due to the nature of the forum's auto-promote system, those who were eligible for the Quark or Atomican groups before the back-end changes were made will have to take an extra step to get auto-promoted. If you have between 16 and 128 posts, you will not be auto-promoted until you make a single post anywhere on the forum. This will cause the forum software to realise you're due for promotion. If you have 128 posts or greater, you will need to post twice anywhere in the forum; once to promote to Quark, and once again to promote to Atomican. You should now have access to Trademart.

I can't send PMs anymore? Why?!
You need to be in the Quark or Atomican member groups to send PMs. See 'I can't access Trademart anymore? Why?!' for more information.

Other Information and Advice
o Read the Forum FAQ before posting a thread.
o Please take the time to use the forum's search facilities before asking a question. As much as we like to help, it can become tedious when the same questions are asked multiple times. Help us help you. :)
o If posting in Trademart, read the Trademart FAQ.
o If you're here to suggest a new idea for a forum section, have a really long think about it first. It's likely that the section you wish to introduce will be very specific (and generate no traffic), or another existing section already covers it sufficiently.
o Keep an eye out for existing magazine feedback threads. There's no need to create another one if your contribution can be posting in an existing thread.

Feel free to post any suggestions and/or additions to this guide.

This post has been edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.: Feb 11 2010, 09:49 PM

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fat_Bodybuilder
post Jun 19 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #2
Banned
Guru

Why can't I retrieve my password from the "retrieve my password link"?
If you need to get a password, you need to make a new account (possibly meaning make a new email address) and then PM a mod to change the password for you.

>_>

Why are there no Frequently Asked Questions in the FAQ?

Shouldn't it be called something else then? Such as FRAG (Forum Rules and Guidelines)
Yes, this is right. Wait.. what?

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing. 'Cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

+Quote Post
just_some_guy
post Jun 19 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #3
Banned
Champion

This is a good initiative and I applaud you for taking the time to post it.

--------------------
You can have my lettuce when you pry it out of my cold wet salad.

+Quote Post
Waltish
post Jun 19 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #4
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (Fat_Bodybuilder @ Jun 19 2009, 12:57 AM) *
Why can't I retrieve my password from the "retrieve my password link"?
If you need to get a password, you need to make a new account (possibly meaning make a new email address) and then PM a mod to change the password for you.

>_>

Why are there no Frequently Asked Questions in the FAQ?

Shouldn't it be called something else then? Such as FRAG (Forum Rules and Guidelines)
Yes, this is right. Wait.. what?

Or if they did make a section for such things it could be called the CAQ (Commonly Asked Questions) {:)

--------------------
Tanker Name = waltzz

It was tough going but my team got there in the end, against all odds we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, I was worried, for a while there it looked we were going to win.. phew!

+Quote Post
Nich...
post Jun 19 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #5
Mod
♥ Mafia Scum

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Jun 19 2009, 12:46 AM) *
photobucket.com
OMG ATOMIC IS GETTING A KICKBACK FROM PHOTOBUCKET!

(TBH I think 'Commonly Answered Questions', or 'Frequently Answered Questions' makes more sense ; )

--------------------
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflÚs" -- Nicholas Kurti

+Quote Post
TheSecret
post Jun 19 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #6
Banned
Champion

Nice.

I might suggest replacing photobucket with tinypic.com as no account is necessary.

Perhaps also a point about the logout problem when going back to the main site, and that it is being worked on.

--------------------
The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him. - Tolstoy

+Quote Post
post Jun 21 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #7
Atomican
Hero

Updated.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

+Quote Post
LogicprObe
post Jun 23 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #8
Banned
Colossus

The headings are hard to decipher.

Maybe underline would work better.

+Quote Post
post Jun 23 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #9
Atomican
Hero

QUOTE (LogicprObe @ Jun 23 2009, 07:23 PM) *
The headings are hard to decipher.

Maybe underline would work better.

Sure. *changes OP*

I'd prefer having a bigger text size, but I know having such a feature will result in people abusing it. I usually try to avoid the use of underline for headings, it looks horrible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LogicprObe
post Jul 11 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #10
Banned
Colossus

Yeah, that works better.
Ta.

+Quote Post
Doctor Octopus
post Aug 19 2009, 06:40 AM
Post #11
Banned
Charge

*notes how well dotted underlining works*

--------------------
Q9550 @ 3.6GHz | HD 4870 | Gigabyte X38-DS4 | 4GB DDR-1000 | 2.4TB HDD

+Quote Post
madllama
post Dec 14 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #12
Atomican
Charge

Edit: ignore me. Replied to the wrong thread.

Edit2: For those that missed it I replied to a related thread and noticed that I couldnt see the Trademart FAQ.

This post has been edited by madllama: Dec 15 2009, 06:35 AM

+Quote Post
post Dec 14 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #13
Atomican
Hero

madllama, I have updated this thread to answer those questions. I'll see if it's possible to make the Trademark FAQ available to all members.

--------------------

+Quote Post
madllama
post Dec 15 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #14
Atomican
Charge

Cheers,

Though it would appear according to this that its verboten, so it might be worth putting in the same disclaimer about post count that appears in the forum FAQ.

+Quote Post
Kimmo
post Mar 27 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #15
Atomican
Titan

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Jun 19 2009, 01:46 AM) *
I can't reset my password! What do I do?
There is a known bug when attempting to retrieve a forgotten password. Until this is fixed, the only way to get it reset is by asking a moderator so we can inform the appropriate people. You may have to create an alternate account to do so.

Rather than the clunky suggestion of creating an alt account to get back in touch, perhaps you should just put up a Mod's email address? Or create one for the purpose?

+Quote Post
ice cold
post May 13 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #16
Atomican
Journeyman

QUOTE (just_some_guy @ Jun 19 2009, 02:04 AM) *
This is a good initiative and I applaud you for taking the time to post it.

Absolutely agree couldn't have said it any better myself.

--------------------
signature haha lol

+Quote Post
hx350chev
post Aug 18 2011, 12:39 PM
Post #17
Banned
Serf

The problem with atomic is that you cant find anything such as where messages are and how to read them. I have had a personal message from the admin but I cannot find it. Where are the messages and what button do I press and how do I read it anyway since I am not allowed to post messages. This is one of the worst websites I have ever seen. Where the hell is the button marked messages or view your messages or mailbox etc. Why make it so damn hard if you want new members? This is stupid.

--------------------
To know it all, first you must know that you know nothing.

+Quote Post
post Aug 18 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #18
Atomican
Hero

Have you tried the 'x new messages' at the top like every other modern forum?

--------------------

+Quote Post
deadpeep
post Aug 18 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #19
Atomican
Champion

QUOTE (.:Cyb3rGlitch:. @ Aug 18 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Have you tried the 'x new messages' at the top like every other modern forum?

Is it because he's too low forum rank?

+Quote Post
ilyria109
post Aug 18 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #20
Atomican
Master

I see this is where all the banned people hang out :P

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 06:27 PM