Post #101
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (Morgoth @ Apr 22 2012, 05:59 PM) *
Okay first Mileage check!

4.05L per 100KM - yay
Or ~58MPG in the old money
Running BP Ultimate 98!

I will run a couple of tanks of 91 through it to see if there's any difference in this carbed bike between the fuels in regard to power/fuel consumption.

I've been trying different fuels on my VTR. So far, there's no difference between 95-98, but it runs like absolute poo on standard 91.

--------------------
Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scruffy1
post Apr 22 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #102
Hero
Champion

4.05L per 100KM - yay
Running BP Ultimate 98!

I will run a couple of tanks of 91 through it to see if there's any difference in this carbed bike between the fuels in regard to power/fuel consumption.

fwiw don't bother with lower octanes

the bike will "miss" on acceleration, and it burns more fuel for the same distances

my rough average was 250k on a tank of 91, and 300k on a tank of 98

and it is way more pleasant to drive on 98

--------------------
ummmmmmmmmmm............

+Quote Post
Morgoth
post Apr 22 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #103
Hero
Guru

Right good to know.

Il try a tank of 95 and see if it runs worse or gets worse mileage .

98 is $1.79 at the Moment -_-

--------------------
2011 Atomic 3DMark & Game Benchmark Rankings !! http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=41178
Current PC (no lie)
Athlon XP-M 2400+@2640MHz (3d) / Abit NF7-S2.0 Vmodded / 1Gig OCZ Gold EL GX BH-5 / ATI Radeon 9800XT@500MHz

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Apr 22 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #104
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (Morgoth @ Apr 22 2012, 09:44 PM) *
Right good to know.

Il try a tank of 95 and see if it runs worse or gets worse mileage .

98 is $1.79 at the Moment -_-

I repeat it wont make any difference with a carbureted system it will not know what fuel you are using, my bike has a carbie and it makes no difference because fuel is pumped in from the carbie through the jets at a rate decided by the hole size in said jets. With fuel injection it is different because the fuel managment system will change the fuel/air mix to suit the higher octane fuel.

Some more info.

QUOTE (MrFriendly @ Apr 22 2012, 08:22 PM) *

4.05L per 100KM - yay
Running BP Ultimate 98!

I've been trying different fuels on my VTR. So far, there's no difference between 95-98, but it runs like absolute poo on standard 91.

If yours is a 2009 model onwards then it is fuel injected, even so if it runs bad on 91 then it more then likely needs a tune.

QUOTE (scruffy1 @ Apr 22 2012, 08:32 PM) *

4.05L per 100KM - yay
Running BP Ultimate 98!

fwiw don't bother with lower octanes

the bike will "miss" on acceleration, and it burns more fuel for the same distances

my rough average was 250k on a tank of 91, and 300k on a tank of 98

and it is way more pleasant to drive on 98

Nope 41,000 k later and only using 91 (as recommended) and no E10 my Yamaha has not missed a beat. Is your bike injected ? My Proton uses 95 as indicated near the fuel cap, and runs well on it. But of course it has a fuel management system IE: Injection. :)

This post has been edited by bowiee: Apr 22 2012, 10:57 PM

+Quote Post
Nich...
post Apr 22 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #105
Mod
♥ Mafia Scum

Wouldn't it make just as much difference as to what fuel it's tuned for?

--------------------
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

+Quote Post
bowiee
post Apr 22 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #106
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (Nich... @ Apr 22 2012, 11:30 PM) *
Wouldn't it make just as much difference as to what fuel it's tuned for?

Getting the right balance between jet size and fuel and air mix is not easy, you would be treading a fine line between to much fuel which builds up carbon, and running to lean which will burn/pitt your valves. Which is why fuel management systems (fuel injection) are computer controlled which means it can keep the car in tune second to second if needed. :)

This post has been edited by bowiee: Apr 22 2012, 11:48 PM

+Quote Post
MrFriendly
post Apr 23 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #107
Hero
Guru

QUOTE (bowiee @ Apr 22 2012, 10:54 PM) *
QUOTE (MrFriendly @ Apr 22 2012, 08:22 PM) *

Nope 41,000 k later and only using 91 (as recommended) and no E10 my Yamaha has not missed a beat. Is your bike injected ? My Proton uses 95 as indicated near the fuel cap, and runs well on it. But of course it has a fuel management system IE: Injection. :)

I have actually suspected this, based on the fact she back fires under certain conditions when I'm easing off the throttle.

However, I will say this much, the one fuel she seems to run the best on and love the most is the 95 BP stuff. From everything I've read, quite extensively I'll add, it shouldn't made any difference, yet bloody well does. The first time I put this stuff in the tank there was a moment I was cruising along and actually asked myself if the engine was running or not because I couldn't feel it. You get used to the engine vibrating a certain way, you get a feel for the bike and the way it runs and behaves, that's what I love about riding a bike. But, for whatever reason, the bike just felt smoother using that particular fuel, to the point I wondered if the engine was on or not, I new it had to be, I was on the freeway at 100km/h.

It's funny, I'm a very technically minded person, but I know nothing of cars, bikes, or engines for that matter. But because of the bike, I'm starting to understand and be able to read what's wrong with an engine a lot better. Only problem is, I just wish I had a place big enough palce to pull the fucker apart and tinker around with it myself. Alas, I do not, but I did manage to fix the indicator last week.

Honestly, if there's one thing I'm starting to love about the activity of riding itself, it's the simplicity of the machine you do it on. I haven't been riding very long at all, and I've now ridden a couple of different bikes. The problem I have, is much like my love of push bikes, I now I want several types of motorbikes. My VTR is the perfect learner and commuter. An Enfield to take it slow and enjoy the simplicity of it. And a Ducati to make your balls tingle and get the adrenaline pumping and really feel at one with physics. And the trusty Honda or Yamaha dirt bike, because lets face it, while the kind of people it attracts might repulse you, they're a shit tone of fucking fun.

There's just something about getting around on two wheels that draws me in. For me, at least, it's in the simplicity of it. It's why I love cycling, the idea that with my own body, and a very simple machine, I can propel myself 150km on a good day. Strap an engine to the idea, and you experience the world and the physics that govern it a whole new way, and it's both frightening and exciting at the some time.

Morgoth, you mentioned before you were starting to get sick of people telling you to take care and all that. Don't worry, I get that too. But don't dismiss it, for as fun as it is, it is actually dangerous. Be that as it may, I do derive a huge sense of pleasure and enjoyment from riding a motorbike. It's easy to get caught up with that. I'm glad I stacked the bike early on in the piece. To learn how easy it can happen, the reasons why it can happen, and what the cost of it happening are.

Disregarding all that though, and this incredibly bias on my part. Your VTR is going to bring you many smiles. As it has brought me, and will continue to bring me, many smiles.

:-)

--------------------
Wake and meditate. How do lifeless subatomic particles harmonize to become conscious... and produce this thought about themselves?

+Quote Post
Josho
post Apr 23 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #108
Atomican
Primarch

as long as you dont do what this idiot does you'll be fine.
take this video as a what not to do.
Yes it's interesting to watch but any of those vehicles could have changed lanes and not seen him and he would have been a big red smear.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9e6_1334633954

+Quote Post
AIMBOT
post Apr 24 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #109
Atomican
Champion

QUOTE (Josho @ Apr 23 2012, 01:27 PM) *

What a fucking moron. A driver wouldn't even have time to react to hearing the bike before cleaning him up.

If you want to practice anything you're not comfortable with, keep it to an empty car park. Industrial areas are good for large quiet ones. Even then, practice restraint as well.

--------------------
Too long didn't read.

+Quote Post
Juggs
post Apr 24 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #110
Atomican
Master

My bike is tuned for 95. With a full tank, I hit about 310km before I have to flick to the reserve (give or take a few k's depending on how flexible my wrist is ;) ). If I run 91 in it, then I'm looking at changing over to reserve by around 270 - 280.

I generally try to go out of my way to get the right fuel, but its not always possible.

--------------------
Keep wishing you were me,
and I'll keep making you have to.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 05:45 PM